Audio Weasel

"Two sizeable ships"... time for completely uninformed speculation!!!!!!!!

2 minutes ago, Ling27 said:

Yeah, I never understood the need for the clear bases. I would prefer faction colored bases honestly.

Cream - Rebels

Gray - Empire

Maroon - Republic

Blue - CIS

The clear plastic is nice, but I spray mine black and paint the sides next to the cardboard anyway.

Now you're *quadrupling* the Production Cost!  You Madman!  :D

Well, I mean, not literally...  But adding different sources is something done lightly and in extreme circumstances...  Plus, we were ocne told, for Armada, it just wasn't worth it, being that they'd either have to create packs that are Huge Grab-Boxes of Stuff that you'd never use...   (IE, you are after one Large, but all you can get is a Grab Box of 1 Large, 1 Medium and 1 Small, with a Large, medium, medium Bent, and small fin, as well as a Single and Double Peg), or create something like 30 SKUs that would fill their Catalog of each individual one, times each colour they were doing.

So they decided against it.

This way is a compromise.  Cheap.  And I mean, we've now seen that the Base Pegs on the FFG are Large pegs, too - they completely reused components in the boxing, and not evne made that larger...  THOSE I'd want to get taller ones of.

True. I will commend their ability to reuse the same thing lots of times. It does concern me for the eventual Lucrehulk though. I'd rather the wide bit of the base be the front.

Posted (edited)

And yeah, the SSD should have been taller or shorter, because its so big!

Edit: Shorter? I'm dumb. It cant be shorter, you need to see the base!

Edited by Ling27

Posted (edited)

To refer back to the Starhawk. I think it would be a fairly big departure from what they’ve done in the past for them to produce a ship we haven’t seen any concept art for.

I’ve mentioned all this before but I want to record my thoughts on this in one place regarding new ship speculation. The AFII was a fairly large departure from what is now established procedure to release a ship we had only ever seen in a game (Empire at War) AND an EU game at that. The only things that have come close to that since are the TIE Phantoms and E-Wings. Everything else has been seen in a film or has featured fairly centrally in Rebels. For them to release anything that doesn’t exist in the new established Disney canon would be a massive surprise to me. For these reasons I find the Starhawk to be pretty unlikely, and even the Bra’atok and Dreadnought to be unlikely as well given that they’ve only really made cameo appearances in Rebels. The only glaringly obvious future releases for me are the Heavy TIE fighter from Solo and U-Wings from Rogue One. As for ships... it genuinely leaves only wild speculation as to what the next (and possibly final) wave of Imperial/Rebel releases will be. I look forward to finding out, because whatever they will be cannot fail to be a surprise.

Edited by Wisened_Berry

11 hours ago, Ling27 said:

Yeah, I never understood the need for the clear bases. I would prefer faction colored bases honestly.

Cream - Rebels

Gray - Empire

Maroon - Republic

Blue - CIS

The clear plastic is nice, but I spray mine black and paint the sides next to the cardboard anyway.

Yep,I paint my bases black and sharpie all the cardboard edges as well. I've seen rebel fleets with white bases before.

44 minutes ago, Wisened_Berry said:

For these reasons I find the Starhawk to be pretty unlikely, and even the Bra’atok and Dreadnought to be unlikely as well given that they’ve only really made cameo appearances in Rebels. 

The Dornean Gunship appeared first in RotJ, and also appears in Rogue One's space battle. I'd think that two movie appearances should make it decently likely if they continue to make GCW content.

26 minutes ago, Wisened_Berry said:

To refer back to the Starhawk. I think it would be a fairly big departure from what they’ve done in the past for them to produce a ship we haven’t seen any concept art for.

I’ve mentioned all this before but I want to record my thoughts on this in one place regarding new ship speculation. The AFII was a fairly large departure from what is now established procedure to release a ship we had only ever seen in a game (Empire at War) AND an EU game at that. The only things that have come close to that since are the TIE Phantoms and E-Wings. Everything else has been seen in a film or has featured fairly centrally in Rebels. For them to release anything that doesn’t exist in the new established Disney canon would be a massive surprise to me. For these reasons I find the Starhawk to be pretty unlikely, and even the Bra’atok and Dreadnought to be unlikely as well given that they’ve only really made cameo appearances in Rebels. The only glaringly obvious future releases for me are the Heavy TIE fighter from Solo and U-Wings from Rogue One. As for ships... it genuinely leaves only wild speculation as to what the next (and possibly final) wave of Imperial/Rebel releases will be. I look forward to finding out, because whatever they will be cannot fail to be a surprise.

Don't forget the Raider corvette. It didn't even exist but was a FFG/Lucasfilm collaboration for the X-Wing game, (though this dates back to wave 2).

With the paucity of candidates for "sizeable ships", might we finally see Tector and wingless Liberty? They are canon from RoTJ, and although both have detractors, what else " sizeable" is there? Arguments against the Tector involve its similarity to the Imperial but with only illustrations of what someone thinks the top looks like there is certainly room for interpretation. The wingless Liberty was initially referred to as the MC-80A to differentiate it from the Liberty. Its similarity to the Liberty is no accident as it was designed to bulk up the Rebel fleet for visual effect. Nevertheless it is now a thing and having a Mel Miniatures one sitting next to an FFG Liberty and a Home One it is fairly evident they are all different when seen in 3D. If they are neither of these, I also won't fail to be surprised. Either way, with CW coming as well, happy days are here again!😊

33 minutes ago, axe238 said:

Don't forget the Raider corvette. It didn't even exist but was a FFG/Lucasfilm collaboration for the X-Wing game, (though this dates back to wave 2).

With the paucity of candidates for "sizeable ships", might we finally see Tector and wingless Liberty? They are canon from RoTJ, and although both have detractors, what else " sizeable" is there? Arguments against the Tector involve its similarity to the Imperial but with only illustrations of what someone thinks the top looks like there is certainly room for interpretation. The wingless Liberty was initially referred to as the MC-80A to differentiate it from the Liberty. Its similarity to the Liberty is no accident as it was designed to bulk up the Rebel fleet for visual effect. Nevertheless it is now a thing and having a Mel Miniatures one sitting next to an FFG Liberty and a Home One it is fairly evident they are all different when seen in 3D. If they are neither of these, I also won't fail to be surprised. Either way, with CW coming as well, happy days are here again!😊

"Paucity" should be the word of the day. Thank you. :)

8 hours ago, GunNut said:

The Dornean Gunship appeared first in RotJ, and also appears in Rogue One's space battle. I'd think that two movie appearances should make it decently likely if they continue to make GCW content.

I was aware of that, but they’re even less obvious there than during their Rebels cameos.

I would consider the Tector and MC80a to be unlikely as well because they too don’t play a central role in any of the films to the extent that Profundity/Home One/Liberty and the ISD did.

The point I’m trying to make is that WHATEVER they choose to release is going to be a fairly big surprise because of it’s relative obscurity.

28 minutes ago, Wisened_Berry said:

The point I’m trying to make is that WHATEVER they choose to release is going to be a fairly big surprise because of it’s relative obscurity.

For the people that play this game, I wouldn’t consider the Dornean Gunship or the Imperial Support Vessel (Dreadnought) obscure, as we have been asking for them for a while.

8 hours ago, Frostweasel said:

I think the MC85 is possible due to it being built pre Jakku so it is technically a GCW ship

It was not built pre-jakku. It says directly in the visual guild for TLJ that it was the first ship "designed" for the new republic navy.  It saw limited service for the new republic before they severely demilitariezed and put it in mothballs.  The resistance took it out of mothballs for there fleet. 

“Sizeable” = “able to be sized”

So what does that imply? Why would it being a size be special, all ships have a size — unless it can change size. It can be sized, therefore it’s not a fixed size.

Quick, what CW era ships can change their size?!

(How’s that for uninformed speculation?)

1 hour ago, Tayloraj100 said:

“Sizeable” = “able to be sized”

So what does that imply? Why would it being a size be special, all ships have a size — unless it can change size. It can be sized, therefore it’s not a fixed size.

Quick, what CW era ships can change their size?!

(How’s that for uninformed speculation?)

Unicron confirmed

What exactly was said at the panel? Just “two sizeable ships”, or was there anymore? So many people throwing Clone Wars around it’s hard to tell if anything was mentioned, or it’s just hope and hype. Don’t get me wrong; I’d love some Clone Wars ships. I just don’t want to get my hopes up too much with Armada 😂

7 hours ago, Rune Taq said:

It was not built pre-jakku. It says directly in the visual guild for TLJ that it was the first ship "designed" for the new republic navy.  It saw limited service for the new republic before they severely demilitariezed and put it in mothballs.  The resistance took it out of mothballs for there fleet. 

My bad I thought that the New Republic had established themselves after the death of Palpatine and before the end of the GCW. 

Isn't the Bunkerbuster from the Civil War era? I think I remember something about it being used for bombing imperial stronholds.

Really, the ships I wish for are the imperial Venator and the Braha'tok. But I guess the former is pretty unlikely at this point (CW announced) and the latter not sizeable.

3 hours ago, ElSee said:

What exactly was said at the panel? Just “two sizeable ships”, or was there anymore? So many people throwing Clone Wars around it’s hard to tell if anything was mentioned, or it’s just hope and hype. Don’t get me wrong; I’d love some Clone Wars ships. I just don’t want to get my hopes up too much with Armada 😂

They said Armada Clone Wars is coming next year and independant of that they have two new ships, one for the empire and one for the rebellion "of decent size" that they hope will be release by the end of the year. Here is the link to the panel so you can watch it yourself .

2 hours ago, Frostweasel said:

My bad I thought that the New Republic had established themselves after the death of Palpatine and before the end of the GCW. 

I think that is correct. The mc85 was designed before the end of the war but not built till the war was over.  I believe. When I get home next weekend I'll grab my visual guide and double check my info.

3 hours ago, Frostweasel said:

Well, to be fair, it depends on whose point of View you go with.

For the Rebellion side, the Rebellion say they became the New Republic with the Death of Palpatine and the establishment of their new Senate.  Which is all well and good.  Doubly so since, basically, the Senate is in Chaos due to Assassinations, or Bombings, for most of that "Aftermath" Period leading into Jakku.  Its hardly a stable government, which is kind of the point.

But on the Imperial side, essentially, they didn't stop referring or treating them as "The Rebel Alliance" until their defeat at Jakku.    They refuse to acknowledge and legitimise the New Republic until they are essentially defeated - so from the Imperial side, anything done Pre-Jakku is "Rebel Alliance" anyway...

...  Always Star Wars and their "Certain Points of View"  :D