cnemmick

No plans for new physical product for Imperial Assault

4 hours ago, urloony said:

Like many players here, I collected every expansion.  I'm now down to painting my last 10 minis.  You haven't wasted your time.  It's a great game and will continue to be a great game.  

Painted everything for Imperial Assault. Certainly not wasted time and I'll continue playing campaign for as long as I want.

Now if only they'd do a smart move and include IA deployment cards in the legion boxes. It's the only way they'd make me buy legion releases.

47 minutes ago, Marinealver said:

Legion killed Imperial Assault, there is nothing more to say.

Now the good news, is those that have IA models can use them in Legion. I mean they are both from FFG.

So the thing is, I actually gave Legion a try (before you jump: I've been playing IA for nearly ~4 years and if one is to understand the great mystery...one must study all its aspects). I hated the gridless system, it felt very hand-wavy because we don't really care if the figures are off by a bit. The squad leader is the only figure that matters and it doesn't matter if stormtrooper #3 in the squad is 1cm to the left or 1cm to the right. The LOS rule also reminds me why I don't really like X-Wing that much: can you draw a straight line? who knows? in IA we might need a laser for perhaps no more than 5% of the time because it's a really far shot and the LOS isn't clear: in Legion and X-Wing you'll need a laser perhaps 80%+ of the time. The range ruler also rubs me the wrong way: in IA if Stormtrooper #2 gains 3 movement points then he's moving 3, in Legion I don't really know how far is "3" until grab that measurement ruler and place it on the table

X-Wing and Legions are still no doubt great games based on the # of players, but I think they cater to very different types of people

I play X-Wing regularly and Legion irregularly. I enjoy the gridless positioning --it is a fun visual skill to eyeball where your ship/figures need to be and see if your estimated using the correct template. And figuring out LOS and range in those games gets less frustrating once you get some reps in, similar to learning IA's LOS rules.

I also agree with @ricope that Legion is fundamentally a different experience than IA Skirmish. The tactical positioning and combat in IA has a depth that Legion doesn't capture. That isn't to say Legion isn't deep, but that IA's tactical depth fits me better.

Edit: clarified my thoughts about Legion's depth.

Edited by cnemmick

6 hours ago, Marinealver said:

Legion killed Imperial Assault, there is nothing more to say.

Now the good news, is those that have IA models can use them in Legion. I mean they are both from FFG.

Unfortunately, FFG designed Legion to use a different scale and size matters in that game so you really can't use Imperial Assault figures. My biggest reason for not getting into Legion was not wanting to rebuy and paint a bunch of figures I already own.

6 hours ago, Eddie said:

Now if only they'd do a smart move and include IA deployment cards in the legion boxes. It's the only way they'd make me buy legion releases.

This.  I would get me some Legion stuff too if they included IA deployment cards with it.  It seems like it wouldn't even be hard to do!  Never gonna happen though. 

The scale is hardly different at all.  Just as much variation within IA as the difference between IA and Legion.  Wouldn't bother me one bit.  But what could happen is we (the community) using IACP could vote on new deployment cards to go with Legion figures (such as Jyn Erso or Krennic).  That would be cool.  Maybe season 2 or 3.

48 minutes ago, Mandelore of the Rings said:

This.  I would get me some Legion stuff too if they included IA deployment cards with it.  It seems like it wouldn't even be hard to do!  Never gonna happen though. 

The scale is hardly different at all.  Just as much variation within IA as the difference between IA and Legion.  Wouldn't bother me one bit.  But what could happen is we (the community) using IACP could vote on new deployment cards to go with Legion figures (such as Jyn Erso or Krennic).  That would be cool.  Maybe season 2 or 3.

why not? last night i compare an IA death trooper with Legion Krennic, from feet to head they have the same tall, what you need to do is simply replace the hight legion base with a lower IA one.

3 hours ago, GoldSquadron said:

Unfortunately, FFG designed Legion to use a different scale and size matters in that game so you really can't use Imperial Assault figures. My biggest reason for not getting into Legion was not wanting to rebuy and paint a bunch of figures I already own.

Not too much of a scale change. I mean put them on the table painted and you wouldn't notice at first look which storm trooper is which game.

comparison3.jpg.3c6b4088a1346825ffd70e2e

1 hour ago, Marinealver said:

Not too much of a scale change. I mean put them on the table painted and you wouldn't notice at first look which storm trooper is which game.

comparison3.jpg.3c6b4088a1346825ffd70e2e

they look comparable but legions bases are taller. Use new bases and all is well.

Legion looks easier to paint and can hold more detail.

Honestly I don't much like painting. If I could find each character for a decent price id probably purchase the old WotC pre painted minis.

Edited by King_Balrog

4 hours ago, King_Balrog said:

they look comparable but legions bases are taller. Use new bases and all is well.

Legion looks easier to paint and can hold more detail.

Honestly I don't much like painting. If I could find each character for a decent price id probably purchase the old WotC pre painted minis.

I've been buying figures from Legion to replace IA.  Legion figures come un-based so they can easily be put on small bases.  If you compare a bunch of IA figures you'll find a disparagement between the earlier ones and the newer ones.  Tess is as big as any Legion figure.  I have zero desire to play Legion, but I like the different poses for units, especially Boba Fett and the Imperial Guards, but also the Stormtroopers.  If I had a micrometer I would measure Boba's head between Legion and IA.  They look pretty darn close.  I had posted a picture of them, and it is still in my attachments, so I'll put it right.....

here:

boba_comparo.thumb.jpg.dbea06f0b09e903a317ff336e8c84ef6.jpg

Edited by Rikalonius

16 hours ago, ricope said:

X-Wing and Legions are still no doubt great games based on the # of players, but I think they cater to very different types of people

Agreed I think IA is a very niche market type game as evident by its more tight knight small community, where as Legion appeals to the much larger war gaming crowd. 

IA did a great job carving out its piece in the competitive table top scene over the past few years. It's just to bad that FFG so abruptly decided to pull the plug. Abruptly at the Q&A.. but painfully slow over the lack of communication for.. better part of a year?

As far as figure size goes, from a casual play game style, ya no doubt you could use IA minis for sure. You might just have to rule that if it's really close LOS on the IA mini it counts, as the scale is slightly smaller. Storm Troopers are about the base you can compare, but I would also look at size difference for a more prominent figure like Vader, or the AT-ST (keep in mind LOS is also drawn to bases and any part of a base in Legion, so bigger bases are a big thing).

But from a competitive stand point it would definitely not fly. I am talking about this as we are talking about Skirmish, which is competitive play in IA. You could not roll up to a tournament with IA figures and expect anyone to accept them on the table top. 

Edited by FrogTrigger

12 hours ago, fabiofotomoto said:

why not? last night i compare an IA death trooper with Legion Krennic, from feet to head they have the same tall, what you need to do is simply replace the hight legion base with a lower IA one

I think we are actually agreeing here.  I am saying the Legion size different is negligible so I WOULD use them with IA.  No problem.  Even the bases don't bother me.  I wouldn't bother changing anything with them probably, and all FFG would have to do is include a few IA cards in with the Legion stuff.  I'd buy it.  But, I think they won't do that.  It's never going to happen.  So let's make our own with IACPs resources and surveys and whatnot.

So, with Legion, old WotC stuff, and totally new sculpts someone put a link up of, we have years of new plastic to go with our community approved new deployment cards.  This game can be in healthy and fresh place for a long time! 

2 hours ago, Mandelore of the Rings said:

So, with Legion, old WotC stuff, and totally new sculpts someone put a link up of, we have years of new plastic to go with our community approved new deployment cards.  This game can be in healthy and fresh place for a long time! 

yeah!