Alzer

WE"RE GETTING CLONE WARS!

I was recently thinking about what "Clone Wars is coming" might mean. My first guess was a new core set, similarly to X-Wing with new era stuff. So I started thinking that squads would likely be Vultures and Torrents, so they could release the more potent Tri-fighters, Hyenas, Belbullabs, ARC-170s, V-Wings, Y-Wings and Eta-2s in a squadron expansion. But then I realized that we would need two small ships on one side and one medium for the other, and that's where it all went wrong. What small sized ships either faction may have that is iconic enough, useful on its own and wasn't released before as a GCW ship? And the answer was.... none. I can't think of any ship for either the GAR or the CIS that would be a suitable small ship for a core box. Mediums sure, but not small ones.

So my guess now is that the Clone Wars will mean the release of at least one (but more likely two) ships for each faction, alongside a pair of Squadron Packs, and hopefully conversion kits for those ships that were used in the Clone Wars (VSD, Gozer, Kitten, Pelta). Of course I would love to see a new core set (at least I would have two damage decks and some extra dice), but I can't find the ships for that.

39 minutes ago, Norell said:

I was recently thinking about what "Clone Wars is coming" might mean. My first guess was a new core set, similarly to X-Wing with new era stuff. So I started thinking that squads would likely be Vultures and Torrents, so they could release the more potent Tri-fighters, Hyenas, Belbullabs, ARC-170s, V-Wings, Y-Wings and Eta-2s in a squadron expansion. But then I realized that we would need two small ships on one side and one medium for the other, and that's where it all went wrong. What small sized ships either faction may have that is iconic enough, useful on its own and wasn't released before as a GCW ship? And the answer was.... none. I can't think of any ship for either the GAR or the CIS that would be a suitable small ship for a core box. Mediums sure, but not small ones.

So my guess now is that the Clone Wars will mean the release of at least one (but more likely two) ships for each faction, alongside a pair of Squadron Packs, and hopefully conversion kits for those ships that were used in the Clone Wars (VSD, Gozer, Kitten, Pelta). Of course I would love to see a new core set (at least I would have two damage decks and some extra dice), but I can't find the ships for that.

Both the Consular class (a possible small) and the Stealth Ship haven’t been released yet. Additionally if the stealth ship isn’t an option I could totally see them doing an Arq to go alongside the Consular.

My money is on a new core set due to the general demand for one, with it probably being:

Republic:

Consular (small), Arq (small)

Separatists:

Munificent (medium)

Probably will see Darth Maul as an irregular squad.

Darth Maul

5 Hull, Speed 4 Brace/Brace

2 blue 1 black anti squad, 1 blue 1 black anti ship

Cloak 2 

"If you are engaged by more than 2 squadrons you cannot be attacked."

26pts

Anakin Skywalker

4 Hull, Speed 4, Brace/Scatter

4 blue anti squad, 1 blue anti ship

Counter 2, Grit

While Counter Attacking, if the enemy squadron is not unique, add two blue die to your attack roll. 

17 Points

I was finally gonna give watching the series another chance in preparation for the release only to find out it's been pulled from Netflix and won't be available again until Disney+ in November.  Curses!  (Whenever I can watch it, I won't make the mistake of trying to get all the way through season 1 again.)

1 hour ago, Battlefleet 01 Studios said:

Since they like to do “matching squads” for the core set up until now I would think it would be:

V-19 Torrent, unique squad “Oddball”

Vulture droid, unique squad “advanced Vulture droid”

Less “matching” and more “iconic.” There was no way they weren’t putting Xwings and TIE Fighters up first. Conveniently, these are also the intended backbone squads of both factions.

Clone wars is a bit odd. The CIS has to be Droid fighters for the core. GAR is less clear. Jedi starfighters are probably more iconic, but it makes little sense for them to be the backbone of your screen. Torrents never struck me as super common or standing out. So I think it would be Arc-170s

So my guess is Droid fighters vs Arc-170. 

4 hours ago, eliteone said:

Anakin Skywalker

4 Hull, Speed 4, Brace/Scatter

4 blue anti squad, 1 blue anti ship

Spinning: When an enemy squadron declares an attack against this squadron, you must quote out loud "I'll try spinning. That's a good trick!". Then cancel the attack, then this squadron may move up to distance 1. If it ends movement within distance 1 of an enemy ship, destroy that ship.

17 Points

FTFY 😁

5 hours ago, eliteone said:

Probably will see Darth Maul as an irregular squad.

Darth Maul

5 Hull, Speed 4 Brace/Brace

2 blue 1 black anti squad, 1 blue 1 black anti ship

Cloak 2 

"If you are engaged by more than 2 squadrons you cannot be attacked."

26pts

This would not make sense because cloak already exists with a different affect 

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, MasterThrawn said:

This would not make sense because cloak already exists with a different affect 

Oh, apologies, that's not meant to describe Cloak or Cloak 2, that's Maul's special ability text, unrelated to his keyword. 

Edited by eliteone

Posted (edited)
On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 4:19 PM, Church14 said:

While I agree that cross faction will lead to some ugly broken combos. This one isn’t. 

I don’t think I want to see Raddus dropping SSDs. 

You don't think a 61 point ship (Arquitens light w/TRC) that fires five red dice out the side, one of them set to 2 damage, is broken?  You could fit Home One, Ackbar and four of those in a list.

Edit: Even better!

Assault Frigate w/Ackbar, Caitken & Shollan, ECM and Enhanced Armaments = 133 points

4 x Arquitens Light Cruiser w/ Enhanced Armaments = 256 points

Total Cost = 389 points

Edited by JauntyChapeau

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, JauntyChapeau said:

You don't think a 61 point ship (Arquitens light w/TRC) that fires five red dice out the side, one of them set to 2 damage, is broken?  You could fit Home One, Ackbar and four of those in a list.

Not really. For The 244 points you paid for those 4 Arquitens, you can get 3 AFmk2 with TRCs and give one Gunnery teams.

4X Arquitens: 52HP (20 Hull, 32 shields).

3X AFmk2: 54HP (18 Hull, 36 shields) but with a brace.  One less modified die overall.

You can also just barely fit a second Gunnery team on one and a MC80C with LS and Ackbar. That puts out an additional 5 reds (and 5 forgotten blues) over your broken fleet, similar speed, and has more HP.

Oh god I just argued that the AFmk2 outperforms something....

Edited by Church14

31 minutes ago, eliteone said:

Oh, apologies, that's not meant to describe Cloak or Cloak 2, that's Maul's special ability text, unrelated to his keyword. 

Sorry for misreading it

6 hours ago, Battlefleet 01 Studios said:

Both the Consular class (a possible small) and the Stealth Ship haven’t been released yet. Additionally if the stealth ship isn’t an option I could totally see them doing an Arq to go alongside the Consular.

My money is on a new core set due to the general demand for one, with it probably being:

Republic:

Consular (small), Arq (small)

Separatists:

Munificent (medium)

Exactly what I thought.

On 4/14/2019 at 1:15 PM, LennoxPoodle said:

Finally, If we get a core set, what do you guys think will come in it. Given that FFG seems to maintain the same a certain scheme over multiple core sets within one game, I guess it will be one medium and two different small ships. My money is on Munificent, Arquitens and Consular.

Maybe + Vulture Droids and V-Wings.

2 hours ago, Battlefleet 01 Studios said:

2020! Crikey that's almost here already!!

2020.... might as well enter Cyro sleep.... between this and halo PC being far off, no real point sticking around for the rest of 2019, nothing really to look forward to this year.

12 hours ago, Church14 said:

Less “matching” and more “iconic.” There was no way they weren’t putting Xwings and TIE Fighters up first. Conveniently, these are also the intended backbone squads of both factions.

Clone wars is a bit odd. The CIS has to be Droid fighters for the core. GAR is less clear. Jedi starfighters are probably more iconic, but it makes little sense for them to be the backbone of your screen. Torrents never struck me as super common or standing out. So I think it would be Arc-170s

Deltas are still possible. They are iconic and early on in the war the clones had no air(space?) cover so lots of Jedi flew their deltas in defense of clone cap ships, which lead to many deaths which could have been a part of Palpy's plan. So all deltas might not be inconceivable. Else even a small mix of 2 deltas 2 torrents/arcs in the core if there is a core could be possible.

I could see a mix on both sides.

For Commanders:

Yularen vs Trench

Fighters:

Obi-Wan vs Grevious

Torrents vs Vultures

ARCs vs Tri-fighters

This would give you the Starter Ace, Generic Fighters, and specialized unit for each faction, with 4 iconic characters total.

Posted (edited)

Anakin Skywalker
Eta-2 Squadron
Speed 5, 4 Hull, ASq 2B1R, ASh 1B
Friendly squadrons within distance 1-2 add 1 black die to their battery armament.
Rogue, Counter 2
Scatter-Scatter
21pts

Edited by DunaMoose

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Church14 said:

Torrents were the absolute backbone of the GAR fleet for years, before the ARC-170 was introduced in the last year of the war.

EDIT: What's with all the stealth ship love? It was in like one episode and it's basically the same ship as the Carrion Spike. I mean it is one single unique ship, never fielded in big numbers. It would be silly to see a fleet of those on the board... The Consular is not really a battleship, more like a placeholder because they didn't have anything better. But it's not a warship, especially if you compare it to the CR90.

Edited by Norell

23 minutes ago, Norell said:

EDIT: What's with all the stealth ship love? It was in like one episode and it's basically the same ship as the Carrion Spike. I mean it is one single unique ship, never fielded in big numbers. It would be silly to see a fleet of those on the board... The Consular is not really a battleship, more like a placeholder because they didn't have anything better. But it's not a warship, especially if you compare it to the CR90

Make the ship card unique.  It’s interesting because stealth is a relatively unexplored area to the game (Phantoms aside) and the Republic needs all the ship variety it can get.