Sign in to follow this  
Lobokai

ISDI in Ep 9

7 minutes ago, fistfulofforce said:

I'm curious but can one of you break down what makes this the ISD-I from that terrible clip?

kdyfaces1.jpg

The cross shaped sensor tower on top of the super structure are on ISD 1s (the top image) while ISD 2s have this flat one instead (image 2 and 3)

Here you can "clearly" recognize the cross shape on top:

7 hours ago, Lobokai said:

v9hm8.jpg

Posted (edited)

if there's any doubt if this is a hybrid or not... here's the 3 exposed dorsal defense turrets... that were later recessed for better fire protection in later models/refits/upgrades...  I'm assuming this is the Rogue One CGI model used for EP9... as it shows all the distinctive New Hope and Rogue One features

dypwsn.png

For the record: the second time I watched this scene I did notice that an A-wing was immolating front and center... but capital ship lines captured my eye immediately

Edited by Lobokai

9 hours ago, WhatsArmadaWithYou said:

Well, the lady paleontologist from Jurassic Park wrecked most of the FO Star Destroyers. Maybe they had to get the old ones out of storage.

And in modern Navies it’s not unusual for ships, especially large ships like carriers, to have a service life of 40-50 years. There’s no reason why an ISD can’t be in service during episodes 7-9. For the same reason clone war ships vs GCW ships wouldn’t break continuity. You could easily have an older sector defense fleet fighting against rebel terrorists or Imperial tyrants.  

Can someone identify that A-Wing model? I a wondering if this whole scene with the ISD might be a flashback, maybe to the battle of Jakku. But maybe if this is a very new A-Wing model this might be confirmation that this is not a flashback or at least not one so far back.

11 hours ago, WhatsArmadaWithYou said:

Well, the lady paleontologist from Jurassic Park wrecked most of the FO Star Destroyers. Maybe they had to get the old ones out of storage.

You just blew my mind; I totally didn’t recognize her as the same actress.  Wow.

Maybe this is the characters having to go to the imperial remnant and they still have some ISD’s knocking around?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, bkcammack said:

And in modern Navies it’s not unusual for ships, especially large ships like carriers, to have a service life of 40-50 years. There’s no reason why an ISD can’t be in service during episodes 7-9. For the same reason clone war ships vs GCW ships wouldn’t break continuity. You could easily have an older sector defense fleet fighting against rebel terrorists or Imperial tyrants.  

Indeed. It's actually the part of the Clone Wars ships that bothers me a bit. Like...where did all the Venators go so fast? They were brand new ships, and then they were all gone within 18 years. Don't get me wrong, I love the look and I'm happy to have those ships, but it's just one of those things that annoys me slightly.

Edited by Truthiness

1 hour ago, Truthiness said:

Like...where did all the Venators go so fast?

We now know where some of them ended up...

I think the idea is that the Empire had so many of them and didn't want the reminder of the Republic, so phased them out. They also seem to have shifted focus from carriers/troop transports to battleships, so maybe Venators didn't really fit in their fleet? The Empire seems to be more about bringing in overwhelming firepower from space, rather than using starships to get all your troops down to the ground as with the Republic.

6 hours ago, LordCola said:

Can someone identify that A-Wing model? I a wondering if this whole scene with the ISD might be a flashback, maybe to the battle of Jakku. But maybe if this is a very new A-Wing model this might be confirmation that this is not a flashback or at least not one so far back.

By the paintjob it looks like the white/blue RZ2 model also in TLJ.

5 hours ago, Truthiness said:

Indeed. It's actually the part of the Clone Wars ships that bothers me a bit. Like...where did all the Venators go so fast? They were brand new ships, and then they were all gone within 18 years. Don't get me wrong, I love the look and I'm happy to have those ships, but it's just one of those things that annoys me slightly.

Says a fair bit about the Empire’s desire to bury any traces of that awkward war caused by Palpatine.  The sooner you forget about the war, the sooner you forget about the Jedi.

5 hours ago, Grumbleduke said:

We now know where some of them ended up...

I think the idea is that the Empire had so many of them and didn't want the reminder of the Republic, so phased them out. They also seem to have shifted focus from carriers/troop transports to battleships, so maybe Venators didn't really fit in their fleet? The Empire seems to be more about bringing in overwhelming firepower from space, rather than using starships to get all your troops down to the ground as with the Republic.

Maybe it also has to do with the differing goals of the republic and imperial navies. The GAR was meant for all out, direct, symmetrical warfare, whilst the Imperial millitaries main tasks are asymetrical occupation, repression, population control and counter insurgency. One is better for fighting an equal foe the other for keeping your own citizens in line.