Revanxv

Wave 5 announcement

swz47-52_anc_slider.jpg

That art lines up with the Int 2 pilot with a short name. This green paint scheme was only used once in Clone Wars, to my knowledge, and was used by R2, which means that likely for that one pilot instead of having an astromech slot it will instead have a crew slot, hence 3PO. 

For the other pilots

We have Anakin's pilot art. As a fun aside, anyone find it amusing that we have had 3 Anakin's in a row, Wave 3, Delta 7, Wave 4, N1 Starfighter, and Wave 5, Y-Wing. If we stay with that trend maybe well see him as a pilot for either the Eta 2 or Twilight for Wave 6.

swz_w5_preview1.jpg

and Odd Ball's art

swz48_ship-art.png

This leaves us with 3 more named pilots. The Int 4 pilot's name seems to start with 'M' so I'm going to guess Matchstick, which leaves us with an unknown Int 3 and Int 2 pilot. The other Int 2 pilot's art seems to be from the Malastare battle where the electro proton bomb was used.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Jokubas said:

The Fangs really get to me because I feel like they've gotten pushed as the main fighter of the Scum faction, both by marketing and by many discussions about the Scum faction. But for me, they'll always be the pretenders. In a lot of ways, they resemble Scyks if they were faced the other direction. I don't really mind them so much in a vacuum, but it just bugs me to see what feels like a counterfeit getting the attention.

As for the Wave, I'm pretty disappointed, but weirdly relieved at the same time. I think maybe because the smaller wave (is it smaller? it feels smaller) makes it feel more inevitable that I wasn't going to get anything I wanted. In a huge wave, and they still leave out the Tri-fighter or the V-Wing or the Eta-2, and I would have felt like they somehow figured out how to single me out (though maybe that would have been better for me in the long run, as it makes them much more inevitable in the next wave).

Not to be a downer, but both the Nantex and the Tri-fighter are arc-dodgy, interceptor style ships. We may get them both, two waves in a row...but I'd be surprised. They did a good job of filling holes in the faction, whether they're the expected ships or not.

Edit: They could make the Tri-fighter very different from the Nantex, as what we've seen is a very peculiar but interesting craft and the tri-fighter will probably be more synergy with the other droids.

Edited by dsul413

I like how they did Y-wings different, better hull - shields distribution and ship ability might them bit more pricey compared to rebel or republic ones. Also gunner with force open way to 2 force Arcs, or 4 force Anakin, for true abuse of battle meditation.

4 minutes ago, Jokubas said:

The Fangs really get to me because I feel like they've gotten pushed as the main fighter of the Scum faction

This is honestly my biggest issue with them. How they play in game focuses too much on doing what any sane person would consider suicidal, especially in a ship that fragile. Second is that I despise unnecessary moving parts, and the large mass rotating around the fighter's cockpit section is nothing more than that to me. Whatever benefit is possible from moving that section can be achieved with allot less mechanical complexity and much fewer failure points.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

The Mandalorian's sold the Scyk, Kimogila, Dunelizard and Krayt to whomever was willing to buy them... Just because the ship was used at Tansari Point to fight off Black Sun thugs doesn't mean it wasn't available to that organization's operatives...

As someone who constructed and sold Scyks and other ships to many different freelancers, no matter what factions you were friends with, I agree. The Scyk is a common fighter used  by many different factions. If your going to use the Battle of Tansari Point as background, you have to see what was happening all around there as well.

Out of all the things TLJ got wrong, DJ got that part right.

Edited by kris40k

17 minutes ago, Animewarsdude said:

We have Anakin's pilot art. As a fun aside, anyone find it amusing that we have had 3 Anakin's in a row, Wave 3, Delta 7, Wave 4, N1 Starfighter, and Wave 5, Y-Wing. If we stay with that trend maybe well see him as a pilot for either the Eta 2 or Twilight for Wave 6.

Anakin is Sabine's father, confirmed.

Did anyone notice that there are 3 force tokens in the TAP spread? On the basis of ESC reloading and disarm tokens included in the package, I think it's not a coincidence. Maybe they are fixing cards, e.g adding one more Force to Grand Inquisitor? 

1 minute ago, kris40k said:

As someone who constructed and sold Scyks and other ships to many different freelancers, no matter what factions you were friends with, I agree. The Scyk is a common fighter used  by many different factions. If your going to use the Battle of Tansari Point as background, you have to see what was happening all around there as well.

Out of all the things TLJ got wrong, DJ go that part right.

DJ is honestly in my opinion one of the best characters in TLJ. Extremely pragmatic, but not an absolute ***. His perspective on things from what I can pick up about the character ("One group of ***** in "charge" is really no different than another. And who you think is running things really ain't." is the read I get from him) fits why he turned on Finn and Rose. If faced with the option of what the FO is known to do with people and with getting out ahead of things (yah, he got paid) makes sense from a trying to survive slant.

3 hours ago, Cloaker said:

Looks like Scum will still continue to struggle in Hyperspace. 

Jumpmaster is unplayable competitively obviously already given its dearth of showings in events. Faction already has cheap filler in the Z95 and MG TIE. Nothing that is in Wave 5 is going to increase their viability in Hyperspace. 

IG Aggressors should probably have come out here. Utility dogfighter role missing in the kihraxz. Dirty trick Quadjumpers. A Jabba carrier in the yv-666. 

Scum is defined by two things: Bounty Hunters and illicits. Illicits vs. Tech or sensors or force or talents etc offer nothing currently for the faction. With the jumpmaster neutered out of viability and the scyk offering more of the same, scum continue to offer the least of the 7 factions. 

Maybe wave 6 they will get it right, but that wave will be resistance and FO heavy, and they got two ships here in this wave. So, wave 7. 

2020. Jeez. 

I've had fun with Ion Cannon Scyks.  33 points is the cheapest non-charge 3-red dice attack.  Dial has mediocre blues, but the ship doesn't naturally take huge amounts of stress.  I've had a few games 4x Ion Scyk + Fenn Rau list, and it's always seemed decent to me.  Enough weight of fire from the Scyks to make them scary, and Fenn Rau can do Fenn Rau things.

This is a very interesting wave, with almost none of the ships, aside from the Y-wing, being predicted to come out. That was a surprise for me.

As far as Hyperspace goes, I have a feeling that when Wave 5 comes out the Hyperspace legal list will change to remove some redundant ships. So we could possibly see the Z-95 for Scum switched out for the Scyk, the TIE Interceptor/Striker switched for the TAP, etc.. FFG did say that they would both add and remove ships from Hyperspace eligibility, so this I think will be the moment that this first occurs.

1 hour ago, Jedu said:

Did anyone notice that there are 3 force tokens in the TAP spread? On the basis of ESC reloading and disarm tokens included in the package, I think it's not a coincidence. Maybe they are fixing cards, e.g adding one more Force to Grand Inquisitor? 

Interesting. You can click on a picture of grand inquisitor though and it doesn’t have 3. Also a weapons disabled on the jump master spread. 

Curiouser and couriouser

1 hour ago, Hiemfire said:

DJ is honestly in my opinion one of the best characters in TLJ. Extremely pragmatic, but not an absolute ***. His perspective on things from what I can pick up about the character ("One group of ***** in "charge" is really no different than another. And who you think is running things really ain't." is the read I get from him) fits why he turned on Finn and Rose. If faced with the option of what the FO is known to do with people and with getting out ahead of things (yah, he got paid) makes sense from a trying to survive slant.

DJ S&V crew card when?!?

The mystery astromech in the Y-Wing was figured out, it is C1-10P otherwise known as Chopper from Rebels. Love the fluff of him being a astro option for Republic and him coming with the ship he crashed down with on Ryloth. 

As for the Geonosian starfighter, its actually sort of crazy to an extent. Every pilot option can effectively do 2 to 3 actions a turn, regardless of if they bump or not and can do 1 action if stressed. The ship ability lets them do their barrel roll or boost, as well as rotate their arc if they aren't stressed and then they can take a focus or evade action. Now, add on the ship specific talent and the tractor token you take for your ship ability effectively pumps you up to 2 to 4 possible actions depending if the ship is stressed.

Considering their tractor shenanigans and high int for the faction options means that they actually might make great support for Buzz droids, either pushing a ship onto the token or pushing a ship into better position to be hit by one. 

8 minutes ago, Animewarsdude said:

Considering their tractor shenanigans and high int for the faction options means that they actually might make great support for Buzz droids, either pushing a ship onto the token or pushing a ship into better position to be hit by one. 

Brutal, I had not thought of that at all.

4 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

The Mandalorian's sold the Scyk, Kimogila, Dunelizard and Krayt to whomever was willing to buy them... Just because the ship was used at Tansari Point to fight off Black Sun thugs doesn't mean it wasn't available to that organization's operatives...

aRu5Ge7.jpg

One of my Scyks.

I have 6 (yeah, probably mistakes were made, I have also 5 Z95 and 6 Kihraxz, hey I like painting, OK :) ) - So, glad that they get some love from FFG. But as others already said, weird choice, as Scum already has 2 weak small swarm fighters, Z95 and MGT. So I'd preferred the Kihraxz rereleased, preferable with a points decrease. Scum lacks a solid medium bread and butter fighter in Hyperspace (And Jostero, Graz and TC are fun). And I really dislike that pretender Fang (also @Hiemfire right argument about the stupid rotation), which is also more of a suicide interceptor.

@Hiemfire as well: Sunny never had an EPT, neither in 1st nor in 2nd edition, so no Snapshot for her anyways.

That Geonosian interceptor looks interesting, bringing the high ini Aces into Separatists, and a really different playstyle. Maybe a good thing that Vultures are almost unavailable here in Northern Europe, one of the children is buying into Seps, and hadn't yet the opportunity to buy a full swarm. I guess some Hyena, Infiltrator and these Geonosians might be a solid and fun thing, an alternative to tge money intensive abd MOV bleeding Vulture swarm.

8 minutes ago, Animewarsdude said:

The mystery astromech in the Y-Wing was figured out, it is C1-10P otherwise known as Chopper from Rebels. Love the fluff of him being a astro option for Republic and him coming with the ship he crashed down with on Ryloth. 

As for the Geonosian starfighter, its actually sort of crazy to an extent. Every pilot option can effectively do 2 to 3 actions a turn, regardless of if they bump or not and can do 1 action if stressed. The ship ability lets them do their barrel roll or boost, as well as rotate their arc if they aren't stressed and then they can take a focus or evade action. Now, add on the ship specific talent and the tractor token you take for your ship ability effectively pumps you up to 2 to 4 possible actions depending if the ship is stressed.

There is also a "-eflection" upgrade in their spread. With the pic on it I suspect that as long as the Nantex (thinking it is going to be chassis locked much like Impervium Plating is) has a tractor token Missile and Torp attacks against it take a penalty of some sort.

2 minutes ago, Managarmr said:

aRu5Ge7.jpg

(1)One of my Scyks.

I have 6 (yeah, probably mistakes were made, I have also 5 Z95 and 6 Kihraxz, hey I like painting, OK :) ) - So, glad that they get some love from FFG. (2)But as others already said, weird choice, as Scum already has 2 weak small swarm fighters, Z95 and MGT. So I'd preferred the Kihraxz rereleased, preferable with a points decrease. (3)Scum lacks a solid medium bread and butter fighter in Hyperspace (And Jostero, Graz and TC are fun). And I really dislike that pretender Fang (also @Hiemfire right argument about the stupid rotation), which is also more of a suicide interceptor.

@Hiemfire as well: (4)Sunny never had an EPT, neither in 1st nor in 2nd edition, so no Snapshot for her anyways.

(5)That Geonosian interceptor looks interesting, bringing the high ini Aces into Separatists, and a really different playstyle. Maybe a good thing that Vultures are almost unavailable here in Northern Europe, one of the children is buying into Seps, and hadn't yet the opportunity to buy a full swarm. I guess some Hyena, Infiltrator and these Geonosians might be a solid and fun thing, an alternative to tge money intensive abd MOV bleeding Vulture swarm.

(1) Nice, the scripting looks like it was a pain. :) 

(2) I expect the MGT to be rotated out for the Scyk to replace.

(3) Hopefully they rotate the Fang out for the Kihraxz, though with the level of fandom support for Mandalorians I don't see that happening.

(4) It is 2.0, slots can change. :)

(5) The Nantex looks like nutso fun. I'm looking at trying out Vultures + Hyenas (Buzz Droids and DRK-1s, going to have to pick up a couple of Infiltrators to get the DRK-1 droids though, with some ordinance thrown in) when the Hyena's drop in June. The Nantex might drag me off from focusing on droid lists, some nice shenanigan potential there. :)

5 minutes ago, Bucknife said:

@Cloaker, I respectfully disagree about the J5k and M3. 

I think they'll open up some amazing new meta options for Scum.

Are they... the two least flown ships in extended right now? They've gotta be up there.

But it all mostly doesn't matter because points change again before any of this stuff re-releases.