Meribson

GeneSys: the Gathering

Just had an idea for a potential group forming at work: a campaign inspired by Magic: the Gathering.

This idea is still in its early stages, so don't expect a lot in this first post, but I'd still like to hear the thoughts of the community.

I'm planning on all of the PCs being Planeswalkers, so every career will have a magic skill. I will also be making custom magic skills based on the five colors of mana. Each of the ten careers will be aligned towards one of the colors, five focused on magic with the other five branching out into different skills along with magic.

Careers

1. Berserker (Brawl, Coercion, Melee (Heavy), Red Mana, Resilience, Riding, Survival, Vigilance)
  2. Cabalist (Black Mana, Coercion, Deception, Discipline, Knowledge (Forbidden), Melee (Light), Resilience, Vigilance)
  3. Druid (Alchemy, Brawl, Discipline, Green Mana, Knowledge (Lore), Medicine, Perception, Survival)
  4. Evoker (Athletics, Charm, Coercion, Knowledge (Adventuring), Knowledge (Lore),  Ranged, Red Mana, Vigilance)
  5. Knight (Athletics, Cool, Discipline, Leadership, Melee (Light), Melee (Heavy), Riding, White Mana)
  6. Priest (Athletics, Charm, Cool, Discipline, Knowledge (Lore), Leadership, Resilience, White Mana)
  7. Ranger (Green Mana, Knowledge (Adventuring), Perception, Ranged, Riding, Stealth, Survival, Vigilance)
  8. Scholar (Alchemy, Blue Mana, Knowledge (Forbidden), Knowledge (Lore), Knowledge (the Planes), Mechanics, Medicine, Perception)
  9. Shadowdancer (Black Mana, Charm, Cool, Coordination, Deception, Knowledge (Forbidden), Skulduggery, Stealth)
  10. Wizard (Alchemy, Blue Mana, Cool, Discipline, Knowledge (Adventuring), Knowledge (Lore), Knowledge (the Planes), Perception)

Magic Skills

• Black Mana (Attack, Augment, Conjure, Curse, Utility)
  • Blue Mana (Augment, Barrier, Curse, Dispel, Utility)
  • Green Mana (Attack, Augment, Barrier, Conjure, Utility)
  • Red Mana (Attack, Augment, Curse, Utility)
  • White Mana (Attack, Augment, Barrier, Heal, Utility)

This is what I've gotten in the 1.5 hours since I first got the idea. I'm not sure how I'm going to do archetypes/species, as with the vast myriad of possible planes that characters can originate from leaves almost endless possible options.

Thoughts/suggestions?

My current thought is that Planeswalking will simply be handled narratively. For the most part, I think that reserving the Nemesis enemy type for other Planeswalkers does enough to represent how Planeswalkers are more powerful than those that aren't. Outside of the ability to travel to other planes and being powerful mages, modern Planeswalkers (to my knowledge) don't have special powers that require more than a tweaked version of the magic skills.