Jump to content
FuriousGreg

Star Wars IX Teaser... Don't screw this up Disney.

Recommended Posts

I'm in.

Granted, I'm one of those apparently mental cases who genuinely enjoyed The Last Jedi and never bought into the "Disney murdered my childhood!" bollox, so I'm not exactly a hard sell when it comes to new Star Wars movies.

Curious as to the meaning of the title, but sincerely hoping that Abrams doesn't retroactively turn Rey into a long lost Skywalker descendant.  Perhaps she decides to adopt the name for herself, not unlike claiming a title?

Does seem that we're getting Luke as a Force ghost and perhaps posthumous mentor.

And it was cool to see Billy Dee Williams chuckling it up at the helm of the Falcon.  And of course, the laugh at the end...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Donovan Morningfire said:

[...] Perhaps she decides to adopt the name for herself, not unlike claiming a title?[...]

I hadn't thought of that. But that would be pretty neat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, kaosoe said:

I hadn't thought of that. But that would be pretty neat.

For me at least, it'd be a nice affirmation that while she might have come from unspecial origins (abandoned child of traders who died an ignominious death), her choices to stand up and take upon herself the heroic Skywalker mantle (and what comes with it, both good and bad) would make for quite an affirmation that anyone can be a hero.  Or to quote Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, "anyone can wear the mask, even you can wear the mask."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Donovan Morningfire said:

For me at least, it'd be a nice affirmation that while she might have come from unspecial origins (abandoned child of traders who died an ignominious death), her choices to stand up and take upon herself the heroic Skywalker mantle (and what comes with it, both good and bad) would make for quite an affirmation that anyone can be a hero.  Or to quote Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, "anyone can wear the mask, even you can wear the mask."

It occurred to me not too long ago that Rey has some similarity to Anakin in that both were very powerful in the Force that arose when the Force "willed" it.  It's kinda her heritage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jedi Ronin said:

It occurred to me not too long ago that Rey has some similarity to Anakin in that both were very powerful in the Force that arose when the Force "willed" it.  It's kinda her heritage.

True, but Anakin had the extra layer of "mysterious birth" what with the no biological father angle.

Rey is someone that like Luke rose up from nothing to become the hero the galaxy needed, though Rey lacked the heroic lineage of Luke.

I won't necessarily be upset if Rey somehow gets retconned into being part of the Skywalker family tree, but rather disappointed that they opted to undercut what was the whole main point of Rey's hero's journey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope that it's a conscious choice like you've suggested. My gut says Abrams is going to retcon out as much of Ep 8 as he can which I don't think will do any good (I'm with Donovan in the I liked last Jedi camp). I hope that he doesn't go full plagiarist and say kylo and Rey are twinsies and Leia separated them at birth for "reasons"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Donovan Morningfire said:

True, but Anakin had the extra layer of "mysterious birth" what with the no biological father angle.

Rey is someone that like Luke rose up from nothing to become the hero the galaxy needed, though Rey lacked the heroic lineage of Luke.

I won't necessarily be upset if Rey somehow gets retconned into being part of the Skywalker family tree, but rather disappointed that they opted to undercut what was the whole main point of Rey's hero's journey.

I wouldn't have minded either way on Rey's parentage but it does seem a gratuitous retcon.

Rey and Luke are different in that way, I think Rey and Anakin are similar in that they were both "born of the Force" in some sense (though I could be stretching things a bit regarding Rey).  Anakin "had no father" (though if you take the Vader comics at face value, which the author didn't necessarily intend, Palpatine created him) but he was considered the chosen one (theme from prequels) while a theme of the new trilogy is Light and Dark rising to meet each other, with Snoke expecting a great power of the Light to rise to meet Kylo (he assumed it was Luke).  In that way I think they are similar - the Force sending an answer to a problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eh, I'm kind of milktoast about the trailer.  Granted I've noticed that few trailers really hype me up much these days, but a few of them do from time to time.  Sadly this one wasn't one of those.  Maybe because when I clicked play, a part of me just sighed inwardly at the new wave of toxic rageboy bull that will inevitably follow this new trailer.   And that just tires me on so many levels.  The shots were fine, though I felt that quick turn she does, and then holds it while looking back...eh, kind of looked silly.   I would've preferred her to just stand her ground in that shot, like a matador and a bull kind of thing.  The running part felt odd like..."ok...so, you added 2 miles per hour to your total speed?  Not really going to make a huge difference when a starship is flying at you at max speed."   I mean maybe we're supposed to assume she's using the Force to go super fast...but it sure didn't look like she was going inhumanely fast in that shot.  

The bit with Palps at the end...eh, I really wish they would just leave all of the OT stuff alone at this point.  It's just too volatile a topic, and frankly the "*gasp* the Emperor is back!" was already done in the comic books, and it was pretty lame there too.    I think everyone that needed to be in the new films, from the old ones, were already brought in, and removed as well, in a way that felt appropriate.   Dragging Palps into the mix just feels....grasping.   *shrugs*

I liked FA and LJ, so I'll probably like this one, but so far, this trailer didn't really spark my childlike joy for the franchise like that first FA trailer did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eh, I don't really care if Rey is a Skywalker or not.  Personally I'd rather see Kylo get redeemed, and be the Skywalker referred to.  I mean if it's Rey, ok fine, but I'd really just rather see multiple people developing the training again.  I'm fine with their always being a Skywalker in the franchise to some degree or other, as it's a very marketable name and brand, and carries a lot of legacy to it, which I think is fine to carry through the franchise going forward.  But I've always been a fan of the larger scale aspect of the Force and those who use it.  I personally tire of it always being just 2-3 people in the films, and they seem to like killing off Jedi students.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, KungFuFerret said:

Eh, I don't really care if Rey is a Skywalker or not.  Personally I'd rather see Kylo get redeemed, and be the Skywalker referred to.  I mean if it's Rey, ok fine, but I'd really just rather see multiple people developing the training again.  I'm fine with their always being a Skywalker in the franchise to some degree or other, as it's a very marketable name and brand, and carries a lot of legacy to it, which I think is fine to carry through the franchise going forward.  But I've always been a fan of the larger scale aspect of the Force and those who use it.  I personally tire of it always being just 2-3 people in the films, and they seem to like killing off Jedi students.   

I agree to a point. However, the Saga films in particular, by GL’s own words, have always been specifically about the Skywalker bloodline. As such, the main character of a Saga film needs to be a Skywalker. If you want to tell the story of an unrelated character, then it should be in a stand alone film or other non- Saga series, such as the upcoming Bennihoff (sp?) and Wiesse(sp?) series presumably set in the Old Republic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Like I said, I'm fine with there always being a Skywalker, though the fact that Lucas said that, doesn't mean that Disney will agree to continue that trend.   And I would say that Kylo is as much a main character of the new trilogy as Rey.   He's clearly set to be in a conflicted position, narratively, and it's hardly out of character for a Star Wars...character to have a redemptive turn.   And we know that Kylo IS a Skywalker, from his parentage, so it's already pretty easy to set up.  They don't have to pull a twist on the plot of LJ to make the title work, and introduce a secret Skywalker.

Again, I don't really care if they do or not with Rey, I think her character is just fine, Skywalker lineage or not.   And the only person who actually said what Rey's parents were, was Kylo, who could easily have been lying to her about the fuzziness of the vision, in order to get her on his side.   

So I find the whole parentage thing could easily go either way, I just don't give a ****.  I find it to be an incredibly minor point in the grander scheme of things with the narrative.  If she is/isn't a Skywalker, doesn't actually change anything about the larger story, at all.  

Edited by KungFuFerret

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, warchild1x said:

I hope that it's a conscious choice like you've suggested. My gut says Abrams is going to retcon out as much of Ep 8 as he can which I don't think will do any good (I'm with Donovan in the I liked last Jedi camp). I hope that he doesn't go full plagiarist and say kylo and Rey are twinsies and Leia separated them at birth for "reasons"

From what I've read and heard, I highly doubt Abrams will retcon much of 8. I've heard a lot of instances of Abrams enjoying 8, and his script for 9 was already finished before 8 was in theaters if I recall. He had no way of knowing how the fans would react to 8 at the time he was writing 9, and he personally didn't dislike 8. So why would there be heavy retcons?

Edited by Underachiever599

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Underachiever599 said:

From what I've read and heard, O highly doubt Abrams will retcon much of 8. I've heard a lot of instances of Abrams enjoying 8, and his script for 9 was already finished before 8 was in theaters if I recall. He had no way of knowing how the fans would react to 8 at the time he was writing 9, and he personally didn't dislike 8. So why would there be heavy retcons?

Because a  lot of people project their own opinions on the trailer based on that tag line of "Rise of Skywalker" as some "answer" to the Last Jedi.  Just like how a ton of people who hate Fallout 76, immediately started saying that trailer for that game by Obsidian "The Outer Worlds" was "the original devs giving the middle finger to Bethesda and everything they stand for!"   So much so that the devs actually did a video responding to the comments, basically saying  "Hey, we aren't badmouthing anybody, we are promoting our own game.  Don't lay your **** on our plate thank you very much."   
 

I suspect it's the same thing.  "See?!  JJ Abrams calls his movie The Rise of Skywalker!  So clearly he hates what they did with Last Jedi!  This is his way of giving them the middle finger!"   Which is of course, likely to be entirely bull, but that's never stopped irrational people from overreacting to stuff anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Underachiever599 said:

From what I've read and heard, I highly doubt Abrams will retcon much of 8. I've heard a lot of instances of Abrams enjoying 8, and his script for 9 was already finished before 8 was in theaters if I recall. He had no way of knowing how the fans would react to 8 at the time he was writing 9, and he personally didn't dislike 8. So why would there be heavy retcons?

 

2 hours ago, KungFuFerret said:

Because a  lot of people project their own opinions on the trailer based on that tag line of "Rise of Skywalker" as some "answer" to the Last Jedi.  Just like how a ton of people who hate Fallout 76, immediately started saying that trailer for that game by Obsidian "The Outer Worlds" was "the original devs giving the middle finger to Bethesda and everything they stand for!"   So much so that the devs actually did a video responding to the comments, basically saying  "Hey, we aren't badmouthing anybody, we are promoting our own game.  Don't lay your **** on our plate thank you very much."   
 

I suspect it's the same thing.  "See?!  JJ Abrams calls his movie The Rise of Skywalker!  So clearly he hates what they did with Last Jedi!  This is his way of giving them the middle finger!"   Which is of course, likely to be entirely bull, but that's never stopped irrational people from overreacting to stuff anyway.

I agree. He likely won't "retcon" much of TLJ, though there are a few things that RJ left vague enough, that he might in order to fit more closely with his original outline for the trilogy. The truth about Rey's parentage is one of these that JJ could easily change. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tramp Graphics said:

 

I agree. He likely won't "retcon" much of TLJ, though there are a few things that RJ left vague enough, that he might in order to fit more closely with his original outline for the trilogy. The truth about Rey's parentage is one of these that JJ could easily change. 

See, that's the thing.   Do we actually know if RJ deviated from "the original outline" at all?  We don't actually know what JJ has planned, it's entirely plausible that Last Jedi was fitting in just fine with his story, and it wouldn't surprise me if he said "hey do what you like, but be aware that Plot Point X and Plot Point Y are this, so try to keep things from contradicting that."    

I mean someone posted above that JJ already had Ep 9 written before Last Jedi came out, so it's not like he wouldn't have been able to have a quick 10 minute chat with RJ about it.    Fans are just assuming that Last Jedi deviated, because of reasons.   Reasons that I personally think are pretty flimsy.   JJ loves teasing the audience, so just because fans THINK that the plot is X, doesn't mean it actually IS.   And just because Last Jedi made a statement about one of those hotly debated plot points (a statement that I am highly skeptical of, considering who actually said the point on screen's credibility, plus we never actually see anything materialize in the vision.) , doesn't mean the point is actually true.   I think it's entirely plausible that Kylo would lie to Rey about a vision that she didn't really understand, or get a clear image of, because he is alone, and she is the only person he cares about at this point.  He wants her to be with him, and he's willing to kill Snoke, and his Imperial Guards to get her. Is it really a stretch that he might lie and say "you're parents are nobody, nobody cares about you....but I care about you...I'm the only one who does...come with me."  ?   

And regardless of all of that, nothing has been made concrete.   So I don't think retcon is necessary at all, because we don't know the actual story that was planned out anyway.  It's all fan theory on fan theory on fan theory.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It's not rumor that Rian Johnson deviated from JJ's original outline. It's been confirmed even by Johnson himself, as well as Daisy Ridley, and others directly involved in the film. . He wanted to tell his own story. 

 

Star Wars 8: Rian Johnson THREW OUT JJ Abrams entire Last Jedi outline says Daisy Ridley

 

https://www.fastcompany.com/90331236/exclusive-j-j-abrams-on-star-wars-apple-and-building-bad-robot-into-a-hollywood-force

Edited by Tramp Graphics

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let me make one thing perfectly clear. I actually loved TLJ. I thought it was a great movie. That being said, there were things in it that I would havd done differently, and it is clear that RJ did not pick up on many of the plot threads that JJ had laid out, but completely discarded them in favor of "subverting fan expectations". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I unequivocally loved TLJ the first time I saw it, but then I heard about all the problems people had with stuff like lightspeed ramming (including some of my own friends whose opinions I respect), and I started to like it less. But then I watched In Defense of The Last Jedi and liked it again. Then I started reading Matthew Kadish's Storycraft blog, and the shine came off TLJ for me after that. But then I thought about it some more and decided that I didn't enjoy feeling bad about the new canon, and decided to follow Yoda's advice and unlearn what I had learned. At the moment, I feel okay about TLJ, but I also haven't re-watched it since it came out, so maybe a second watch would help me to crystallize my feelings.

But all that ambivalence went right out the window the moment I saw Rey do a running backflip in preparation for slicing a TIE fighter cleanly in half with Luke's lightsaber. And then the awesome moments kept on coming (Lando, Leia, that laugh), and now I'm totally stoked for TRoS. 

So I guess my feelings kind of went in a big circle, kind of like the Hero's Journey. Its so meta!

Edited by LazerSwordsman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, LazerSwordsman said:

Rey do a running backflip in preparation for slicing a TIE fighter cleanly in half with Luke's lightsaber.

Her lightsaber.  Anakin/Luke's lightsaber was destroyed at the end of TLJ. She retrieved the pieces and apparently repaired it, but it's hers now.

From what I've heard, Abrams liked Johnson's "Rey is no one" twist, and it was pretty much what he'd intended initially anyway, so I don't think they're going to retcon that out. My fear is that it's Ben Solo's redemption arc, which he absolutely does not deserve, or in-universe, want. But there might be another Skywalker who might finally "Rise," and continuing on from TLJ's theme of failure and learning from it, pass on some of his own hard-learned lessons. . . 

I honestly don't think they'll be retconning much, if anything, from TLJ. I've said it before, but ESB got a lot of the same reception when it was released, and it wasn't until years later, when the whole trilogy could be watched backwards and forwards, that it got its status as the best Star Wars film ever made. And TLJ has a lot of the same "problems" that made Empire so divisive when it came out. . . a tonal shift, big revelations, straight-up telling the audience that a lot of what you thought you knew was wrong, or at least terribly incomplete. . . and I have to be honest, a lot of the hate TLJ gets is just really, really petty.  "They didn't validate my Snoke theory!  They didn't make a Rey a Skywalker/Kenobi/Palpatine!  Phasma didn't get to be a badass and kill everyone!  Luke wasn't the same starry-eyed, naieve farmboy who left Tattooine 40 years ago!"  Star Wars may, in part, belong to us, its fans, but we do not create it.  We leave that in the hands of professional filmmakers, and they are not beholden to give us what we say we want, their job is to tell the best story they can the best that they can.  Once people get over knee-jerk "that's not how I would have done it" and accept that, I think TLJ will be seen as a much better film than a lot of people give it credit for.  And already, the "love it/hate it" narrative is decaying, with more people falling into "it's mostly good but has some flaws" or "I didn't care for it, except X, Y, and Z."

But yeah, I have loved pretty much all the new Star Wars films we've gotten, so I am definitely excited for this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...