Forresto

Episode IX Teaser & Discussion

1 minute ago, manoftomorrow010 said:

I very much stay out of any sequel trilogy debates.

You would be very wise to, the Star Wars fandom (myself sometimes included) is the greatest hive of scum and villany you will ever see

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, manoftomorrow010 said:

I very much stay out of any sequel trilogy debates. But, this is a good teaser trailer.

I try not to worry about it anymore. I pretty much view the trilogies as 3 completely if unofficially different continuities now. Like no one expects Adam West Batman story to be in the same "RPG universe" as New-Batmans. I realized this was my opinion while re-watching a Rogue One trailer with my kids. It hit me that R1 (seemingly intentionally) doesn't break continuity with what we knew in 1983 or so and even builds on it. I guess internally that was obviously a huge part of what I liked about it but it didn't hit me with the word continuity until recently.

Each trilogy is basically it's own Star Wars to me. Various things get released for each continuity at various times. I can only really fully get behind one of those continuities, and nothing new has really been released (off the top of my head) for it since I was a minor except Rogue One. The 3 original movies, West End's books, Rogue One, that's all one continuity.

The prequel trilogy, CW cartoons, some other stuff, that's another continuity altogether to me. Because the OT cannot logically precede what we know of that universe we just saw in Episodes 4, 5 and 6.

The sequel trilogy, Solo, whatever else, that's a different continuity that technically could proceed from what we know of the OT, I guess, maybe, but probably not given certain details. Or more likely could technically possibly have proceeded from the PT if you completely re-write the OT in between them.

I've only considered anything truly "canon" for the duration of whatever RPG/minis campaign I'm playing if/when the GM/my opponent agree it is for that game. Any gamer can tell you, if you want to get a good night's gaming in, it doesn't matter what the latest show/book/movie says if the GM says otherwise.

Edited by TauntaunScout

4 minutes ago, TauntaunScout said:

I try not to worry about it anymore. I pretty much view the trilogies as 3 completely if unofficially different continuities now. Like no one expects Adam West Batman story to be in the same "RPG universe" as New-Batmans. I realized this was my opinion while re-watching a Rogue One trailer with my kids. It hit me that R1 (seemingly intentionally) doesn't break continuity with what we knew in 1983 or so and even builds on it. I guess internally that was obviously a huge part of what I liked about it but it didn't hit me with the word continuity until recently.

Each trilogy is basically it's own Star Wars to me. Various things get released for each continuity at various times. I can only really fully get behind one of those continuities, and nothing new has really been released (off the top of my head) for it since I was a minor except Rogue One. The 3 original movies, West End's books, Rogue One, that's all one continuity.

The prequel trilogy, CW cartoons, some other stuff, that's another continuity altogether to me. Because the OT cannot logically proceed from what we know of that universe.

The sequel trilogy, Solo, whatever else, that's a different continuity that technically could proceed from what we know of the OT, I guess, maybe, but probably not given certain details. Or more likely could technically possibly have proceeded from the PT if you completely re-write the OT in between them.

I've only considered anything truly "canon" for the duration of whatever RPG/minis campaign I'm playing if/when the GM/my opponent agree it is for that game. Any gamer can tell you, if you want to get a good night's gaming in, it doesn't matter what the latest show/book/movie says if the GM says otherwise.

valid strategy for consuming space opera fiction in a manner that pleases you :)

53 minutes ago, TauntaunScout said:

It just kinda hit me one day. All the contradictions and stuff add up to where it seems like 3 distinct universes.

Rogue One has a bunch of weird contradictions in it though. Like the Tantive IV being present at the battle of Scarif even though earlier in the movie Mon Mothma asks Bail Organa to send Leia to fetch Obi-wan. Also the shot of R2D2 and C3PO in the rebel base after admiral Raddus' ship had already left for Scarif (when they were supposed to be already aboard the Tantive IV docked in his ship).

There's also the fact that at the start of A New Hope, Vader refers to the Death Star plans as intercepted transmissions when he watched the disk get physically carried onto the Tantive like 10 minutes before.

Basically trying to cram Leia's ship into physically being at the battle Scarif created a number of continuity problems.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DewbackScout said:

Not enough Legion fodder.

And no dewbacks. :(

Combined with previously known stuff and models on display at SWCelebration, there's stuff there that could fill out at least the base for a First Order faction.

We'll see Sequel Trilogy dewbacks sooner or later.

If it puts your mind at rest, they appear to be back on Tatooine again, so Dewbacks are probably more than likely.

Edited by Indy_com

They failed to make a compelling villain in Kylo, so they bring back Palp???

Let me make a bold prediction...... Rey wins again!!! This time she defeats Palpatine!

Very disappointing teaser. I will sit this one out until I hear back from friends and the general SW audience.

Just now, R3dReVenge said:

Let me make a bold prediction...... Rey wins again!!! This time she defeats Palpatine!

Very disappointing teaser. I will sit this one out until I hear back from friends and the general SW audience.

Why would the movie be called "Rise of Skywalker" if the only character who has a bloodlink to the Skywalkers (Kylo Ren) doesn't rise?

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, R3dReVenge said:

We already have the "Super Death Star" from Episode VII, why not Palpatine too? 

In all seriousness, you can't expect the good guys to lose, even if you don't like the sequels or blue milk or falling spaceships.

Edited by Dansome1

14 minutes ago, Dansome1 said:

We already have the "Super Death Star" from Episode VII, why not Palpatine too? 

In all seriousness, you can't expect the good guys to lose, even if you don't like the sequels or blue milk or falling spaceships.

Fair enough..

I just wish they went a different way about it all. Look at Thor Ragnarok. The good guys win, but pay a serious price.

Episode VIII failed to setting up a good episode IX, so Disney has to bring back an iconic villain to help fix their failed characters. 

3 hours ago, KommanderKeldoth said:

Rogue One has a bunch of weird contradictions in it though. Like the Tantive IV being present at the battle of Scarif even though earlier in the movie Mon Mothma asks Bail Organa to send Leia to fetch Obi-wan. Also the shot of R2D2 and C3PO in the rebel base after admiral Raddus' ship had already left for Scarif (when they were supposed to be already aboard the Tantive IV docked in his ship).

There's also the fact that at the start of A New Hope, Vader refers to the Death Star plans as intercepted transmissions when he watched the disk get physically carried onto the Tantive like 10 minutes before.

Basically trying to cram Leia's ship into physically being at the battle Scarif created a number of continuity problems.

ANH alone has internal contradictions about the DS plans. I chalk that one up to the normal errors in speech real people make. The Tantive IV’s flight plan was handled pretty ackwardly though. I’d make some changes to that stuff if I could. Still a better product than what we usually get from Hollywood. 

Posted (edited)

I grew up with the Prequels. For me it all feels like Star Wars. So I dont see as many continuity problems, especially with a lot of the new canon taking great strides to mesh the visuals of both eras.

To me all the sequel stuff fits because the production team tried harder to make it look like a logical evolution of what came before.

I think my only annoyance with the new stuff, more he ST precisely, is the lack of familiar alien extras.

Edited by Forresto

11 minutes ago, Forresto said:

I grew up with the Prequels. For me it all feels like Star Wars. So I dont see as many continuity problems, especially with a lot of the new canon taking great strides to mesh the visuals of both eras.

To me all the sequel stuff fits because the production team tried harder to make it look like a logical evolution of what came before.

I think my only annoyance with the new stuff, more he ST precisely, is the lack of familiar alien extras.

Stuff like 'stepped in the doodoo' just did not fit with the Star Wars universe.

Clone wars is brilliant.

TLJ was terrible.

Im hoping the new film can bring some dignity to things.

14 minutes ago, VAYASAN said:

Stuff like 'stepped in the doodoo' just did not fit with the Star Wars universe.

Clone wars is brilliant.

TLJ was terrible.

Im hoping the new film can bring some dignity to things.

Well I think we can at least agree that we want Episode IX to be great!