Phelan Boots

Darth Vader in a TIE Defender

What about the true monster in a TIE Defender: Quickdraw. 2 Juke attacks on the turns you miraculously damage it are depressing. With FCS, it will have mods on these double attacks, or it could just focus for defense and rely on the brutality of juke.

On 4/13/2019 at 10:45 AM, Darth Meanie said:

This would make QB interesting for me.  Because otherwise, I'm pretty meh on the concept. 

We're going to have a quick build event in one of the FLGS, and I was testing a few options out with my 9 year old son.  I was pretty happy with quick builds around Second ed. launch, but today they're feeling pretty stale.  Since you only have access to the content that came in the pack, they're kinda "meh" like you said.  I can run Supernatural Vader for 4 threat, which is pretty cool, but nobody seems that fun to bring along.  I'm having a really hard time coming up with something I'm excited to bring.

Unusual cards like the U-wing with the turret, Vader in a TID/d (which I LOVE as an idea btw) are a slam dunk for these.  It would also help with the fact that QB doesn't age or really evolve at all after ship release.

Also, I don't think that it was ever a thing, but Soontir in a TID/d. 

It's just so great.  I've loved this ship since TIE Fighter.

16 minutes ago, Hunting Phoenix said:

We're going to have a quick build event in one of the FLGS, and I was testing a few options out with my 9 year old son.  I was pretty happy with quick builds around Second ed. launch, but today they're feeling pretty stale.  Since you only have access to the content that came in the pack, they're kinda "meh" like you said.  I can run Supernatural Vader for 4 threat, which is pretty cool, but nobody seems that fun to bring along.  I'm having a really hard time coming up with something I'm excited to bring.

Unusual cards like the U-wing with the turret, Vader in a TID/d (which I LOVE as an idea btw) are a slam dunk for these.  It would also help with the fact that QB doesn't age or really evolve at all after ship release.

Also, I don't think that it was ever a thing, but Soontir in a TID/d. 

It's just so great.  I've loved this ship since TIE Fighter.

Actually, Soontir was a test pilot for the Defender, Phantom and Aggressor.

Posted (edited)

Why every time Empire has cool stuff, Rebels have to claim it as their own ?

Have we ever asked for Wedge in a Tie Fighter ? No Sir !

Edited by Ximatique

6 hours ago, Ximatique said:

You sure 'bout that? I remember hearing people ask for a young Wedge in a TIE/ln as an academy pilot. They also asked for Hobbie and Sabine.

Of course all that is silly. Faction identity is a thing and it doesn't matter how much people borrowed ships. They still belong to one person or the other.

Posted (edited)

"A Dark Lord of the Sith never Gasped in surprise-  But if Vader had been anything else, he would have.

Certainly, the Jedi would have reacted as he was jammed back into his seat...  Only in his prototype X/1 had he ever felt such power in a fighter before, or the incredible balance between speed and nimbleness..."

- Thrawn Alliances, by Timothy Zahn

Edited by Drasnighta

On 5/6/2019 at 8:49 PM, Drasnighta said:

"A Dark Lord of the Sith never Gasped in surprise-  But if Vader had been anything else, he would have.

Certainly, the Jedi would have reacted as he was jammed back into his seat...  Only in his prototype X/1 had he ever felt such power in a fighter before, or the incredible balance between speed and nimbleness..."

- Thrawn Alliances, by Timothy Zahn

EXACTLY!! Vader in a TIE Defender IS CANON, therefore, it should happen!!!! 110-120 points base?

On 5/6/2019 at 5:45 AM, Ximatique said:

Screen_Shot_2016-10-04_at_10.55.25_PM.pn

Posted (edited)

What should base points be on this? 100?

Points for Supernatural? 40?

Thanks to @impspy for making this! 

Vader               100

Supernatural.   40

HLC                      4

Cluster Missiles  5 

FCS                       2

Total                 151

HtX3Buk.png

Edited by drail14me

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 1:45 PM, Ximatique said:

Eh. I'm fine with a Rebel Soontir Fel in an X-wing, if the First Order get Commander Malarus in a stolen Black One.

On 5/6/2019 at 2:45 PM, Ximatique said:

Lots of people want to have Wedge Ketch in an Interceptor.

Posted (edited)

@drail14me I honestly don't think there's a price where that thing can be allowed to exist. Supernatural boost/roll, into another reposition, into the manuever, into a Full Throttle evade, with an action still to come? At i6? And you need to somehow catch this thing 5-7 times to actually kill it? While it shoots at you with FCS + Force/focus at all times?

There is literally nothing in the game equipped to fight that.

Edited by DR4CO

22 minutes ago, DR4CO said:

@drail14me I honestly don't think there's a price where that thing can be allowed to exist. Supernatural boost/roll, into another reposition, into the manuever, into a Full Throttle evade, with an action still to come? At i6? And you need to somehow catch this thing 5-7 times to actually kill it? While it shoots at you with FCS + Force/focus at all times?

Easy, price it so super puts it at 201.

1 hour ago, DR4CO said:

I definitely agree with all this.  This is why I erred on the side of caution and made it 8 threat instead of seven.  Especially, in the quick play format where everything is suboptimal, hyper-optimized Vader in a TIE Defender should be a boss battle.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, DR4CO said:

Maybe. But in your example, you used up all three force charges. So now, he has no force mods for attack or defense. Next round he’ll only have one force. When does he do then? One supernatural move or one extra action or save that one force for attack or defense mod. Your example could only happen every 4th round. 

Yes, he would be tough but force management would be a huge issue with that build. 

Simply price him so high that there are only enough points for a tie fighter wingman. 

Edited by drail14me

I don't think force management would be a huge issue. Spends 1 for SNR, one for Focus+lock. Then rolls about with SNR, focus, evade, FCS and emergency force. Until he feels the need to spend up and GTFO for a bit of regen and/or switching target.

If you've got no force left in the engagement phase, you either really dropped the ball or you just killed the only thing that had you in arc.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, drail14me said:

Maybe. But in your example, you used up all three force charges. So now, he has no force mods for attack or defense. Next round he’ll only have one force. When does he do then? One supernatural move or one extra action or save that one force for attack or defense mod. Your example could only happen every 4th round. 

Yes, he would be tough but force management would be a huge issue with that build. 

Simply price him so high that there are only enough points for a tie fighter wingman. 

For normal Vader, or even Anakin, Force management is indeed a big issue. But this time we've got a Defender, so we've got regular Focus & Evade, so aren't sitting on naked attack or defence dice, and we've got 7 health so can happily take some scratch damage if necessary, and we can just SNR -> 5-straight -> Evade + boost/roll/Focus to leave and recharge the following round.

Vader in a Defender with SNR would outright solo any 200 point list you put in front of him. Possibly even one that outbids him, because the other guy's i6 almost surely can't keep up with the moves this monster would be pulling. Bringing a wingman would almost surely be a mistake, because all it would do is give your opponent some points he can score.

You could, as @Cuz05 suggests, make it so that Vader + SNR is exactly 201 (so that means Vader is 169 base), and even then I still reckon he'd win games by going last at all times with a bid of 20+.

Edited by DR4CO

51 minutes ago, DR4CO said:

For normal Vader, or even Anakin, Force management is indeed a big issue. But this time we've got a Defender, so we've got regular Focus & Evade, so aren't sitting on naked attack or defence dice, and we've got 7 health so can happily take some scratch damage if necessary, and we can just SNR -> 5-straight -> Evade + boost/roll/Focus to leave and recharge the following round.

Vader in a Defender with SNR would outright solo any 200 point list you put in front of him. Possibly even one that outbids him, because the other guy's i6 almost surely can't keep up with the moves this monster would be pulling. Bringing a wingman would almost surely be a mistake, because all it would do is give your opponent some points he can score.

You could, as @Cuz05 suggests, make it so that Vader + SNR is exactly 201 (so that means Vader is 169 base), and even then I still reckon he'd win games by going last at all times with a bid of 20+.

He’d be tough for sure but fun to fly. I’m gonna give him a try in some casual games and see how it goes. I’m not a good player so he’ll probably die fast.