Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Varulfr

Am I using Pierce correctly?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

So just played a game with Han for the first time and... jeese, against troopers without cover he's just an attrition machine, it seems.  I just want to make sure I was doing this correctly, since I don't get a lot of games in and it's been a while.

 

Han shoots a trooper.  Gets two hits.  No cover, no dodge. That's pretty much it, right? With pierce it would negate the two defense rolls right out, so if Han shoots and hits someone out of cover that's just pretty much a wound?

Use gunslinger on another trooper unit, two hits... two more straight out, right? So against these two stormtrooper units, he's pretty much near guaranteed with red dice to down 4 troopers a round at range 2?

 

Now of course, if my students hadn't wandered their troopers out into the middle of an open field in the first place, or used boba fett's blaster shots to try and take out an at-rt, or stuck their snowtroopers on a roof and kept them there the entire game... sigh.

Edited by Varulfr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Varulfr said:

So just played a game with Han for the first time and... jeese, against troopers without cover he's just an attrition machine, it seems.  I just want to make sure I was doing this correctly, since I don't get a lot of games in and it's been a while.

 

Han shoots a trooper.  Gets two hits.  No cover, no dodge. That's pretty much it, right? With pierce it would negate the two defense rolls right out, so if Han shoots and hits someone out of cover that's just pretty much a wound?

Use gunslinger on another trooper unit, two hits... two more straight out, right? So against these two stormtrooper units, he's pretty much near guaranteed with red dice to down 4 troopers a round at range 2?

 

Now of course, if my students hadn't wandered their troopers out into the middle of an open field in the first place, or used boba fett's blaster shots to try and take out an at-rt, or stuck their snowtroopers on a roof and kept them there the entire game... sigh.

so even though han has pierce 2 you should always roll the defense dice (its just to keep the habit of rolling defense). but other then that. if han shoots and gets two hits against a target with no cover or dodge yeah against corps units 2 guys are dead with suppression per unit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, azeronbloodmoone said:

so even though han has pierce 2 you should always roll the defense dice (its just to keep the habit of rolling defense). but other then that. if han shoots and gets two hits against a target with no cover or dodge yeah against corps units 2 guys are dead with suppression per unit.

There's no reason to roll the dice, it's not a "habit" you need to build.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, arnoldrew said:

There's no reason to roll the dice, it's not a "habit" you need to build.

Until some new gear card or rules change happens, which is possible, though unlikely.

There's merits to both ways, not rolling is faster, rolling is how the game is written.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Caimheul1313 said:

Until some new gear card or rules change happens, which is possible, though unlikely.

There's merits to both ways, not rolling is faster, rolling is how the game is written.

 

15 hours ago, azeronbloodmoone said:

not to mention if more units get impervious then you roll more dice with pierce.

Those are both basically non-sequiturs. Roll the dice if you have to, of course. However, if the Pierce value of the attack equals the damage dealt and no special abilities trigger to make the dice roll actually matter, then don't. Easy-peasy. I know it probably soothes your OCD to roll dice for no reason other than that the rules technically say to do so, but telling others to do it "to keep the habit of rolling dice" is bizarre.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rolling die is a personal preference, you can't tell people they are right or wrong either way.

I agree with the opinion of rolling out of habit. It takes two seconds and if you look at the OFFICIAL RRG using the order of attack, you roll your defense die.

When people start taking short cuts that is when mistakes are made and things are forgotten. 

Especially if you are not familiar with the rules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...