I love Arkham Horror the card game, as well as the board games, but no, I don't know that I would want any of those components my Star Wars. Although, some of the great old ones may already be present in canon.

Happy Friday to everyone! I started Star Wars:Legion because I was bored waiting for Armada news and releases. And I warn you all! It took me only a few month to spend as much money for buying and as much time painting Legion miniatures as I had invested in Armada in three years!

You want a quiet life? Stick with spaceships!

Happy Friday.

Besides Armada I own a collection and play the following FFG games (All Star Wars):

X-wing 2.0, Legion, Imperial Assault, Rebellion and Destiny.

My favorites are Armada and Rebellion, but I am starting to enjoy X-wing more and more. With Legion I can't say to much yet as have only played 2 games so far.

Imperial Assault, XW 1.0 (didn't migrate to 2.0), Rebellion, Empire vs Rebellion.

I like that, in Rebellion, you can react to the actions of your opponents by keeping some of your leaders unassigned.  Leia goes to Mandalore in a diplomatic misssion? Here comes the Emperor himself to remind them who's boss.  Did Vader just send an entire fleet of star destroyers to crush the rebel stronghold on Ryloth?  Don't worry too much, here comes General Dodonna to coordinate the battle.  Is Bobba Fett about to capture Han Solo?  Chewie to the rescue!  The fact that those helping leaders are in standby, not performing missions and with limited actions to take is a nice balancing prize for the reactive flexibility.

That is something I would love in Armada:  A reaction mechanism of some kind.  Something in the lines of performing an attack on a fleeing ship, or raising shields before an enemy attack or flakking squadrons as they attack you.  All that at some prize, like the attack ignoring crit results, the shields gained meaning one less attack on your activation (derive power from weapons to shields!) or the flakking being reduced in 1 die or giving up an attack.  I dunno, but if Armada is ever discontinued this is what I would work on to make my own 2.0

11 hours ago, Cubanboy said:

Hello and happy Friday, 

I just played my first game of Star Wars legion and it was really solid, So I want to ask what other FFG games do you like and are there any components that you would bring to Armada ?

I really enjoy legion as well. Painting your own units really makes it fun to put them on the mat.

Just made some colorshift death troopers last week!
https://i.imgur.com/W7fuuTz.mp4

I think if I were to bring any aspect over from another game, it would be Legion's objective, condition and deploy conditions along side their command card system. I know this is gonna be an unpopular statement, but I think Armada suffers from the simplicity of it's activation system. It causes players to ride the mechanics of the game in order to exploit a powerful gimmick.

With a command card system similar to Legion's the commander abilities would all have to be reworked, I understand, but it would also allow for much more dynamic gameplay. Deployment being changed, varying field conditions, and new objectives and the added changes in initiative each round (determined by the command cards) means activation, deployment and first/last gimmicks become harder to achieve. It would force players who use those as a crutch to play the game instead of the mechanics. 

I also think the simplicity of our objective/initiative system contributes heavily to the "every game feels samey" experience that occurs only a few months after a new wave is out. 

I know these will never happen, but I think it could heavily benefit the game. 

8 minutes ago, Darth Sanguis said:

I really enjoy legion as well. Painting your own units really makes it fun to put them on the mat.

Just made some colorshift death troopers last week!
https://i.imgur.com/W7fuuTz.mp4

I think if I were to bring any aspect over from another game, it would be Legion's objective, condition and deploy conditions along side their command card system. I know this is gonna be an unpopular statement, but I think Armada suffers from the simplicity of it's activation system. It causes players to ride the mechanics of the game in order to exploit a powerful gimmick.

With a command card system similar to Legion's the commander abilities would all have to be reworked, I understand, but it would also allow for much more dynamic gameplay. Deployment being changed, varying field conditions, and new objectives and the added changes in initiative each round (determined by the command cards) means activation, deployment and first/last gimmicks become harder to achieve. It would force players who use those as a crutch to play the game instead of the mechanics. 

I also think the simplicity of our objective/initiative system contributes heavily to the "every game feels samey" experience that occurs only a few months after a new wave is out. 

I know these will never happen, but I think it could heavily benefit the game. 

New deployment(s) options: Yes please

New objectives: yes please

Rotating initiative: Not until they add something to remove first-lasting as a dominant technique. Otherwise this provides more ease of access to first-lasting. 

Legion command cards: I just... no. I just don’t see this being good for Armada. I struggle to see a single scenario where this is better. Though I’m willing to listen. 

I play Runewars. I like that certain units activate at different times based on what they are doing and who they are. Armada getting a simplified version of this would be nice. 

Just now, Church14 said:

Rotating initiative: Not until they add something to remove first-lasting as a dominant technique. Otherwise this provides more ease of access to first-lasting. 

Legion command cards: I just... no. I just don’t see this being good for Armada. I struggle to see a single scenario where this is better. Though I’m willing to listen. 

These two go together. The way you remove first lasting as a dominant technique is forcing players to compete for initiative each round. (This would also likely eliminate bail and pryce as they are today, as these were created to band-aid this problem to begin with). If you can't guarantee first player with a high bid or a card, you're going to build your fleet to operate more strategically instead, especially if the deployment, objective and condition cards operate the same as legion too. 

For the interest of sanity, I'm not gonna type up functioning commander cards. I'm saying it would be a major change, but it would add depth without adding complexity. You'll have to extrapolate on what those cards could do yourself, I just don't have the time to write it up lol.

I would love new deployment options.  As it is my favorite objective is Blockade Run and I WILL run it if you are 2nd player and brought it.  My othe favorite was Hyperspace Assault but SOMEONE had to go and make Raddus so now every game is Hyperspace Assault.

Posted (edited)

In all fairness you can still first last someone in legion you just have to play your cards right so its not as easy to pull off but can still be done, when I was playing legion I did this with flanking speeder bikes all the time.

Edit: and from my understanding activation spam is still a problem in legion.

Edited by xero989

My favorite ffg game is the lotr lcg. As a co-op card game, it occupies kind of a unique space.

I'd like to see a co-op star wars card game in that vein - playing decks against the game instead of a head to head experience.

Legion totally has sucked the wind out of my Armada sails. But honestly, I don't play that more than twice a month either. 

Adulthood with a kid is hard. Fun and rewarding, but time is definitely at a premium.