Sign in to follow this  
Buhallin

Forgotten Age final scenario question [Spoiler]

So we polished off Forgotten Age today - I can understand why people have issue with it, especially the difficulty, but I loved it.

We did run into an odd situation setting up for Turn Back Time though.  What do you do with other tokens that have been added to the bag?  We couldn't find anything that said you remove them, and the "cross everything out" doesn't do so since added tokens aren't recorded in the campaign log.  Turn Back Time's reference card doesn't include anything for those tokens though, which seemed really odd.

We ended up leaving them in and treating them as zeros - it was enough of a good/bad that we called it a wash on the Grim Rule and just went with our best read.

Anyone have any clarification on this, or how did you handle it?

You don't change the tokens at all. You go into Turn Back Time with three elder thing tokens, which is a good part of its challenge given their disastrous effects.

As you say, there's nothing in the campaign guide that instructs you to remove those tokens, and they're not tied to the campaign log. Those ET tokens aren't representing some external force; they're representing your party's stubborn resolve to take on the entire Mythos alone, and that's going to stay with them no matter what timeline they visit.

The problem is they don't have a effect in the token reference card. Either there is a mistake in not removing them or there is a mistake in not putting their effect in the reference card.

Posted (edited)

This isn't an error.

The only way to get to this secret scenario is to oppose both of the other groups. This means that the only tokens in your bag at this point should be the Skulls and Elder Thing tokens - all of the Cultist and Tablet tokens were removed as soon as you started 'forging your own path'.

Edited by Rejoinder

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Buhallin said:

We did run into an odd situation setting up for Turn Back Time though.  What do you do with other tokens that have been added to the bag?  We couldn't find anything that said you remove them, and the "cross everything out" doesn't do so since added tokens aren't recorded in the campaign log.  Turn Back Time's reference card doesn't include anything for those tokens though, which seemed really odd.

You cannot start the Epilogue, if you have any of those tokens in the bag. If are allowed to read the epilogue and you have any of those tokens in the bag, then you made a mistake in scenario resolution(s)

Edited by Adny

I'm not sure about that.  We ended up with one token from each of them, and didn't take the one option that resulted in forging your own path.  We spawned both big enemies in Shattered Aeons, and refused the offers from both.  That led us to finishing the original 4a, and beating it, which gave us R5.

Any guesses as to what we missed?  Lots of moving parts in this, I can't find what we missed.

Reread the Act card. You go to R5 if and only if you control Relic of Ages (Repossess the Past). That particular version of the Relic is gained in the prior interlude ("The Darkness") and only if you "found the missing Relic," "recovered the Relic of Ages," and "are forging your own path." Otherwise, you'll have the Forestalling the Future version (if you have the Relic but either didn't forge your own path or died back in the second scenario) or the Unleash the Timestream version (if you lost the Relic).

Ah, that was it misread that part and did the swap block as well.

While I definitely liked it overall, the design on FA is REALLY big on contextless choices that have pretty major impacts later down the line.  Supplies are easily the worst offender, but we (should have) lost out on the extra scenario because we tried to be nice to Ichtaca and didn't tie her down and interrogate her?  Pfft.

And just adding here - the story and text don't make that much sense either.  Somehow deciding we didn't trust them way back before Threads of Fate lets us realize they were lying to us in a way that having both Alejandro and Ichtaca actively betray us doesn't?

1 hour ago, Buhallin said:

Ah, that was it misread that part and did the swap block as well.

While I definitely liked it overall, the design on FA is REALLY big on contextless choices that have pretty major impacts later down the line.  Supplies are easily the worst offender, but we (should have) lost out on the extra scenario because we tried to be nice to Ichtaca and didn't tie her down and interrogate her?  Pfft.

We had a problem with this too. We always took the choice that respected and trusted her (including this choice!). But somehow we get to the end and she's turned on us. We had to spend 5 minutes paging through the resolutions at the end of each scenario to even figure out where and why it happened. Ultimately "winning" in the endings are all very up in the air, they're all valid as long as you're ok with them. But just having her turn on us at the end was dumb.

The individual scenarios in TFA were, by and large, good with a few that felt, "Oh, c'mon!!" Its weaknesses and frustrations were what they did between them.

We wanted to trust Icthaca but failed early on after the first time you meet her. She basically tells you NOT to follow her, and then if you respect her wishes, she doesn't trust you anymore. From that point on, she was dead to us. So I felt absolutely no pity when I threw her over the ledge with Calvin.

I can absolutely see how weird it would be if she just randomly attacked you then though, but I guess, ultimately, she's just a bit of an extreme xenophobic.

I found working with the Yithians to be a much more rewarding and productive experience.

3 hours ago, PJimo said:

We had a problem with this too. We always took the choice that respected and trusted her (including this choice!). But somehow we get to the end and she's turned on us. We had to spend 5 minutes paging through the resolutions at the end of each scenario to even figure out where and why it happened. Ultimately "winning" in the endings are all very up in the air, they're all valid as long as you're ok with them. But just having her turn on us at the end was dumb.

Hang on...if you side with Ichtaca throughout the campaign, you should only be fighting Alejandro in the final scenario (unless you parley with his card right at the end). 

She only fights you if you haven't consistently helped her (completing her deck in Threads of Fate) and haven't proven that you're pretty good with all this time stuff (in The Boundary Beyond), so you haven't managed to restore her faith in humanity.

Perhaps those conditions were a bit harsh though?

Thats the weird part. If you trust her and let her go without questioning her, she ended up not trusting you fully. You need to mistrust her and question her then you can get the second cultist token and gain her trust.

On 4/12/2019 at 10:46 PM, Soakman said:

We wanted to trust Icthaca but failed early on after the first time you meet her. She basically tells you NOT to follow her, and then if you respect her wishes, she doesn't trust you anymore. From that point on, she was dead to us. So I felt absolutely no pity when I threw her over the ledge with Calvin.

I can absolutely see how weird it would be if she just randomly attacked you then though, but I guess, ultimately, she's just a bit of an extreme xenophobic.

I found working with the Yithians to be a much more rewarding and productive experience.

I have to agree, though I left it late. The final scenario in fact. But honestly, we'd run out of options. Fighting Alejandro would have led to defeat and Ichtaca was nowhere to be found.

On 4/13/2019 at 7:34 AM, DarkFate said:

Thats the weird part. If you trust her and let her go without questioning her, she ended up not trusting you fully. You need to mistrust her and question her then you can get the second cultist token and gain her trust. 

I also find dating very complicated

On 4/12/2019 at 8:08 PM, Rejoinder said:

Hang on...if you side with Ichtaca throughout the campaign, you should only be fighting Alejandro in the final scenario (unless you parley with his card right at the end). 

She only fights you if you haven't consistently helped her (completing her deck in Threads of Fate) and haven't proven that you're pretty good with all this time stuff (in The Boundary Beyond), so you haven't managed to restore her faith in humanity.

Perhaps those conditions were a bit harsh though?

To get her fully on your side you needed to not trust her in Threads of Fate. Which isn't the same thing as siding with her imo.