Dardura

Special Edition Vader

On 4/24/2019 at 7:10 PM, gmcc said:

anyone know if they will release it later on for people that couldnt attend that?

The only time I have seen FFG have limited items re-released was OP items that were sent to the X-Wing Campaign Against Cancer events and IIRC they had some as a bonus prize support at a Worlds or Regional event. I would not expect to see this again or if a few make it out I would expect them to be even harder to attain.

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 12:35 PM, Kanpeki said:

There were several options for FFG to have a more orderly dispersal of these extremely limited models. This was unprofessional in every way. This is not the fans' fault - the company was incredibly disorganized. 

Thats actually not true. When you just have a booth and cant set up and stanchions or ropes, and everyone mobs the place, what can you do? They did the best they could with what they had. Other booths had even worse problems.

9 minutes ago, TallTonyB said:

Thats actually not true. When you just have a booth and cant set up and stanchions or ropes, and everyone mobs the place, what can you do? They did the best they could with what they had. Other booths had even worse problems.

You could see what your booth is like on set-up day and know how popular your exclusives will be and figure out an easier, safer and less annoying way. Maybe just hand out lottery tickets for 2 hours. Come back at certain times to see if your number is called. If it is, join the buying queue. If it isn't come back later to see if you come up in the next one.  Or do a virtual queue system like UK cons do for autographs. Get a ticket with a number, throughout the day the booth works through those numbers. Only go to the booth when your number is up. Like a deli counter serving tickets.

I know us Brits are both lauded and laughed at for our ability and desire to just queue for the sake of it, but I have NEVER got the US obsession with staying overnight or sitting in a queue ALL DAY just to TRY and get something/into somewhere. There's better things to do with your day (especially at a con) and way better ways the booth operators want their booth to work (and look).

I know these things fetch a pretty penny online and you can pay for some of/a lot of your trip by selling them on, but c'mon guys. The amount of people I saw in the Funko queue for nearly a whole day just to get Pop!s they already own, but coloured blue, was crazy.

6 minutes ago, InterceptorMad said:

Maybe just hand out lottery tickets for 2 hours. Come back at certain times to see if your number is called. If it is, join the buying queue. If it isn't come back later to see if you come up in the next one.  

And then you have kids on the forums screaming about being first in line and not getting thier number called. Its like the worlds reg... Every way they do it someone is pissed. but everyone on the forums has all the answers...

22 hours ago, TallTonyB said:

And then you have kids on the forums screaming about being first in line and not getting thier number called. Its like the worlds reg... Every way they do it someone is pissed. but everyone on the forums has all the answers...

What I meant by other options was, at Star Wars Celebration Chicago, Hasbro, Funko and other retailers used a virtual lottery system for their exclusives that were set up weeks ahead of time. I knew I had won the right to buy the limited edition Hasbro figures 5 days before I left to go to the convention. I received an email with my appointed time to go to the Hasbro booth and buy my figures. At 4 p.m. on Friday of the convention, I went to the Hasbro booth, they scanned my QR code and said they had two figures waiting for me to buy. It took all of 5 minutes and I and the other folks assigned the 4 p.m. time bought our exclusives and were happily back to convention activities. There was no mob scene. There was no uncertainty. It was wonderfully executed and THAT is how a professional group handled their Star Wars Celebration exclusive merchandise. Funko did the same thing with their highly sought after Pops. 

My biggest problem would have been them being gone before the Con open and that they required purchase for their chase pin, how many people bought it because it was the cheapest item that allowed them to get the pin? 

4 hours ago, Cusm said:

My biggest problem would have been them being gone before the Con open and that they required purchase for their chase pin, how many people bought it because it was the cheapest item that allowed them to get the pin? 

And that's why, for exclusive items, you make them a lottery thing or a virtual queue like the other big companies. People can still come and buy whatever they need to get Sabine, but it doesn't mean a bunch of people who don't care 'use up' all the exclusives from your booth and just end up on a stall/ebay later for 4x the price.

From the pictures I have seen on facebook, the new Darth Gucci was really not that exciting.  Maybe if someone like Sorastro paints it up it will look better but so far the conversions that people have done of the original Vader model look way better.

27 minutes ago, devin.pike.1989 said:

From the pictures I have seen on facebook, the new Darth Gucci was really not that exciting.  Maybe if someone like Sorastro paints it up it will look better but so far the conversions that people have done of the original Vader model look way better.

The forums before Celebration: "I'm mad at FFG because I can't buy that cool model!!"

The forums after Celebration: "Whatever, I didn't want one anyway, the base looks stupid" *pout*

Posted (edited)

No sour grapes here.  I was firmly in the chill tfo camp.  I got yelled at for telling people to put down their torches and pitchforks when the news came out that it would be an exclusive.  Apparently I am an FFG shill or fanboy or something... Or so I was told by the people that were furious that they couldn't drop a giant wad of cash for an ffg product...  I just find it interesting that in the end the paint job is what is going to make it stand out.

edit:  Btw, KommanderKeldoth, I did just see your vader in the painting forum.  It is exquisite.  You make that thing look like a 12" action figure with your level of detail.

Edited by devin.pike.1989

On 5/1/2019 at 12:20 AM, devin.pike.1989 said:

No sour grapes here.  I was firmly in the chill tfo camp.  I got yelled at for telling people to put down their torches and pitchforks when the news came out that it would be an exclusive.  Apparently I am an FFG shill or fanboy or something... Or so I was told by the people that were furious that they couldn't drop a giant wad of cash for an ffg product...  I just find it interesting that in the end the paint job is what is going to make it stand out.

edit:  Btw, KommanderKeldoth, I did just see your vader in the painting forum.  It is exquisite.  You make that thing look like a 12" action figure with your level of detail.

Thank you.

I think the main thing that went through my head while painting it was: 'this thing is so tall and top heavy, I don't know if I'll ever actually play with it on the table!'

On 5/1/2019 at 7:47 AM, famado said:

Those who managed to get one: will you paint it or will you keep it in box as a collectible?

Saving up money to commision it because don't want it to be tabletop quality like I paint.