Dardura

Special Edition Vader

9 hours ago, crx3800 said:

FFG has been pretty nice about not making Heroclix style exclusives where the specific model doesn't exist any where else and is bonkers powerful. At least we have that. 

The collector in me would still go out of their way to get figures like that though. 😂 

At least we have that and they do not allow the early released units to be played until they hit their release date. 

Dice masters is another game to have extremely limited, extremely powerful promos. They had one from a single event that was 100% auto include if you could get it, but the promo only came with one die, max was 4 dice and people were selling just the dice for $60-100 each.

26 minutes ago, Cusm said:

At least we have that and they do not allow the early released units to be played until they hit their release date. 

In formal events at least. Still didn't stop someone from buying the landspeeder for over $100 off eBay just to get it a few weeks to a month early.

54 minutes ago, Caimheul1313 said:

In formal events at least. Still didn't stop someone from buying the landspeeder for over $100 off eBay just to get it a few weeks to a month early.

Yes, but in a official tournament we don't have to face them. I played against a tank this past weekend but it was a casual game and I am still learning so no big deal.

Just now, Cusm said:

Yes, but in a official tournament we don't have to face them. I played against a tank this past weekend but it was a casual game and I am still learning so no big deal.

Yeah, casual games I don't really care since it's not a big deal. FFG has been good so far about avoiding limited early releases and delaying the legality of new releases until most people have had a chance to play with/against the new models. 

I was able to get one of the LE Vaders at SWCC. It was total chaos. We went for a special allocation of 60 Vaders at 2:30 p.m. Sunday. There were WAY more than 60 people there in a bit of a mob. It was like one of the worst Black Friday scenes I've ever been in. I was able to accompany one of my friends in fandom who had an Americans with Disabilities Act priority wristband as her "companion" in order to get a ticket and get into the line at the register. One of the FFG workers stood on a chair and yelled at all of us to "Make room, back up, I will hand out these tickets at random...and if anyone approaches me, touches me, pushes me or grabs me this is OVER! Step back!"  Total pandemonium...one of the most unprofessional things I've ever seen at a large convention. FFG should be ashamed of themselves. 

9 minutes ago, Kanpeki said:

I was able to get one of the LE Vaders at SWCC. It was total chaos. We went for a special allocation of 60 Vaders at 2:30 p.m. Sunday. There were WAY more than 60 people there in a bit of a mob. It was like one of the worst Black Friday scenes I've ever been in. I was able to accompany one of my friends in fandom who had an Americans with Disabilities Act priority wristband as her "companion" in order to get a ticket and get into the line at the register. One of the FFG workers stood on a chair and yelled at all of us to "Make room, back up, I will hand out these tickets at random...and if anyone approaches me, touches me, pushes me or grabs me this is OVER! Step back!"  Total pandemonium...one of the most unprofessional things I've ever seen at a large convention. FFG should be ashamed of themselves. 

I wasn't there, so I know I'm not talking about what happened at Celebration. At Gencon, FFG has become one of the best organized companies at the whole con. They were one of the first to be "punished" for having lines blocking lanes and causing fire hazards many years ago. They have since upped their game pretty well at Gencon. 

I'm sorry they didn't seem to have the same skill at Celebration. Perhaps a smaller crew, or a frustrated employee was to blame. 

10 minutes ago, Kanpeki said:

Or, y'know, maybe the people in the mob should be ashamed of themselves...

7 minutes ago, Kanpeki said:

Honestly, the fans should also be ashamed, they shouldn't have been acting that way. It's a TOY, not something absolutely necessary for life. 

However, FFG and the event organizers should have had a better system in place for dealing with that crowd. Even something as simple as tape laid out on the floor indicating where to queue has kept things organized at the conventions I've been able to attend. 

6 minutes ago, KommanderKeldoth said:

Or, y'know, maybe the people in the mob should be ashamed of themselves...

Hasbro, Funko, and plenty of other retailers had exclusives for sale at this convention...nobody had such a poorly planned out system that resulted in a bottleneck like this. But sure, blame the fans. FFG most assuredly should have done a better job of a pre-sale, an electronic lottery through the app like many other items. Heck, even Lightspeed Lane passes - as glitchy as they were this past weekend - would have been better than "First come, First Served" nonsense of 500 limited pieces. 

Seriously? "The fans should be ashamed" ? LOL!

8 minutes ago, Kanpeki said:

Hasbro, Funko, and plenty of other retailers had exclusives for sale at this convention...nobody had such a poorly planned out system that resulted in a bottleneck like this. But sure, blame the fans. FFG most assuredly should have done a better job of a pre-sale, an electronic lottery through the app like many other items. Heck, even Lightspeed Lane passes - as glitchy as they were this past weekend - would have been better than "First come, First Served" nonsense of 500 limited pieces. 

I wasn't there, so I cant really judge, but if someone is describing it as "one of the worst black Friday scenes I've ever been in" (which could be hyperbole for all I know), then yeah, the fans hold a lot of the blame for creating a feeding frenzy around a plastic toy to the point where some poor employee has to do crowd control.

7 minutes ago, KommanderKeldoth said:

I wasn't there, so I cant really judge, but if someone is describing it as "one of the worst black Friday scenes I've ever been in" (which could be hyperbole for all I know), then yeah, the fans hold a lot of the blame for creating a feeding frenzy around a plastic toy to the point where some poor employee has to do crowd control.

Also, there is another way of dealing with First Come First Served situations without guidance: Form a queue.

4 hours ago, Kanpeki said:

and if anyone approaches me, touches me, pushes me or grabs me this is OVER! Step back!

Everything except the approaches me part is assault, so yeah, they ought to be ashamed of themselves for that. 

7 hours ago, Kanpeki said:

That guy actually wasn't FFG.  He was Celebration staff who came over because people complained they weren't allowed tk line up before 2:30.

7 hours ago, Caimheul1313 said:

Honestly, the fans should also be ashamed, they shouldn't have been acting that way. It's a TOY, not something absolutely necessary for life. 

However, FFG and the event organizers should have had a better system in place for dealing with that crowd. Even something as simple as tape laid out on the floor indicating where to queue has kept things organized at the conventions I've been able to attend. 

The main issue was they tried to be nice and offer a later time so non-VIPs could get it.  They said line will start NO EARLIER than 2:30 and do NOT show up before 2:30.

Everyone showed up before 2:30 and FFG couldn't let line up or the entire point of later meeting was wasted.  But people all mobbed it.  It was a catch 22 where they couldn't let people queue up because 2:30 was when queue started, but not you had a mad-house of people who couldn't line up.

Source: Was there

There were several options for FFG to have a more orderly dispersal of these extremely limited models. This was unprofessional in every way. This is not the fans' fault - the company was incredibly disorganized.