knute

Four Ship Rebels - Wedge / Biggs / Jake / Cassian

Posted (edited)

I'm actually quite proud of myself for this one because I came up with it on my own:

Jake Farrell (36)    
    Crack Shot (1)    
    Marksmanship (1)    

Ship total: 38  Half Points: 19  Threshold: 2    

Biggs Darklighter (48)    
    R2 Astromech (4)    
    Servomotor S-Foils (0)    

Ship total: 52  Half Points: 26  Threshold: 3    

Wedge Antilles (52)    
    Swarm Tactics (3)    
    R4 Astromech (2)    
    Servomotor S-Foils (0)    

Ship total: 57  Half Points: 29  Threshold: 3    

Cassian Andor (47)    
    Tactical Officer (2)    
    Leia Organa (2)    
    Pivot Wing (0)    

Ship total: 51  Half Points: 26  Threshold: 4    

Total: 198    

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Rebel Alliance&d=v6!h=200!50:116,125,:;7:,2,,142:;5:132,,5,,142:;32:,,61,46,,140:&sn=Wedge %2F Biggs %2F Jake %2F Cassian&obs=

Cassian deploys in the middle of the board, Wedge and Biggs on one end, and Jake on the other. Flanks move up the board edge and converge towards the highest priority target. Keeping range for Coordinate shouldn't be a huge issue since Cassian moves first. Biggs tanks shots for Wedge and Wedge makes Biggs shoot at I6. Late-game, Biggs breaks off to regen and hopefully by then Wedge is close enough to Jake or Cassian to give them a boost to I6. Cassian has two good coordinate targets in Jake and Wedge. Jake in particular is juicy because he can proc 3 actions off the coordinate (and theoretically 4, but it's highly unlikely).

Thoughts? I'm particularly looking for advice on the upgrades, and whether I should drop R4 for a 4-point bid.

Thanks!

Knute

Edited by knute

I haven't tried the list yet; gonna roll it out on Thursday at my FLGS. I kinda wanted a bid since I have two 3s and a 4, and my thoughts were that I want Wedge shooting every turn with mods, hence the blue 2 hard. That being said, I could always drop Marksmanship from Jake for a 1 point bid, or drop Cassian down to a Blue Squadron Scout. But I like Cassian's ability as insurance against First Order and Imperial stress hogs, and to help manage stress between Leia activations. 

So I guess it comes down to whether I need a bid and, if so, how large.

Have you considered dropping Biggs for Braylen? Cassian can help remove that stress so hes not locked into blue manuevers all day, but he gets double mods most shots and have a body taht can take some hits. 

18 minutes ago, Kskilt said:

Have you considered dropping Biggs for Braylen? Cassian can help remove that stress so hes not locked into blue manuevers all day, but he gets double mods most shots and have a body taht can take some hits. 

Have a list like that cooked up. Wedge, Braylen, Cassian, Jake - with enough points spare to give Wedge Proton Torps. Might play it tonight.

But I can see the pros of using Biggs - he has a lot less punch, but makes Wedge survive into the late(r) game.

I just consider wedge to be shortgame when I list build. Your opponent is going to go for him unless you pull him away. You can get away with selfless on the U wing to pull damage off Wedge the same way (your opponent is more likely to ignore the U wing than the B or A wings, also you would rather your U wing go down than your 2nd hard hitter)

I mostly built the list based off another post here on the forums where the author crunched the numbers and determined that Wedge / Biggs was statistically a winning combo. I also wanted to try a Leia list and I was impressed by Jake Farrell's performance at the Adepticon System Open, so voila. 

I'm gonna try the list with Biggs first and see how it goes. I agree Braylen seems like he would combo better with Cassian, but I had also anticipated using Cassian primarily to strip stress from Jake. Also, Selfless (and Biggs) require range 1, and given the substantial differences between the B-Wing dial and the X-Wing dial, I'm not sure how it would work trying to formation fly with Wedge and Braylen. 

Thanks so much for the comments though! 

My big question is whether with an initiative spread of 3, 4, and 6, whether and how much of a bid I need? My local meta right now has a lot of Delta 7b Anakin running around, so I'm inclined to go with a larger bid than a smaller bid, but again I'm open to suggestions. 

Played two games yesterday. I like the list, but I didn't realize quite how many extra maneuvers I had to plan for between Jake Farrell's abilities and Cassian's coordinates. 

I won one game and lost another. First game was super close against a double Sith Infiltrator list (Maul / Dooku). He kept running with his ships and I kept chasing. When he finally turned his dice were hot and he took half points off Cassian, Jake, and Biggs. I took half points from Maul, but finished one hull short of half points on Dooku. I regen'd Biggs out of half points range and took it on the last turn when Dooku landed on a rock and Maul had no targets. Win was 50-45. 

Second game was against a kid running Vermeil with Vader and Sloane, Pure Sabacc, Wampa, and Rymer. I had no idea what I was doing and the kid very methodically flew down the field and jousted me when I couldn't get into a good flanking position. I weathered the first assault, losing half points on Biggs and Wedge, with Cassian losing 3 shields. I took Vermeil and Rymer down to 2 hull each, but whiffed against Vermeil on double modded rolls from Jake. I popped Leia, stalled Cassian, and slooped Jake. His Ailerons barely - *barely* - got Vermeil and Pure Sabacc past Cassian. He k-turned with his team (except Rymer; I got the bump on him at least). Unfortunately I hadn't planned on him getting past Cassian, so basically my whole team was in his kill box. On 12 red dice, he rolled 0 blanks and 1 focus (from Vermeil, who got to change it to a hit because the target didn't have a green token). He wiped Cassian, Wedge, and Biggs. I couldn't push through any damage whatsoever. Next turn he kills Jake on an unmodded range 3 shot through a cloud (I rolled 4 blanks and an eyeball). 

I think I safely determined that this is not a jousty list. I realize my dice failed me and his dice were hot, but I also think that I set up poorly because I didn't fully appreciate how good his list was at jousting and how methodical he was going to be in just coming straight for me. 

To go back to the beginning, the list felt good, but the number of additional maneuvers to plan for was daunting. I'll give it a shot again and see how it does. Otherwise I might be going back to 5Ys or 4X (for something different) or sprite swarm (for something fun). 

25 minutes ago, knute said:

Played two games yesterday. I like the list, but I didn't realize quite how many extra maneuvers I had to plan for between Jake Farrell's abilities and Cassian's coordinates. 

I won one game and lost another. First game was super close against a double Sith Infiltrator list (Maul / Dooku). He kept running with his ships and I kept chasing. When he finally turned his dice were hot and he took half points off Cassian, Jake, and Biggs. I took half points from Maul, but finished one hull short of half points on Dooku. I regen'd Biggs out of half points range and took it on the last turn when Dooku landed on a rock and Maul had no targets. Win was 50-45. 

Second game was against a kid running Vermeil with Vader and Sloane, Pure Sabacc, Wampa, and Rymer. I had no idea what I was doing and the kid very methodically flew down the field and jousted me when I couldn't get into a good flanking position. I weathered the first assault, losing half points on Biggs and Wedge, with Cassian losing 3 shields. I took Vermeil and Rymer down to 2 hull each, but whiffed against Vermeil on double modded rolls from Jake. I popped Leia, stalled Cassian, and slooped Jake. His Ailerons barely - *barely* - got Vermeil and Pure Sabacc past Cassian. He k-turned with his team (except Rymer; I got the bump on him at least). Unfortunately I hadn't planned on him getting past Cassian, so basically my whole team was in his kill box. On 12 red dice, he rolled 0 blanks and 1 focus (from Vermeil, who got to change it to a hit because the target didn't have a green token). He wiped Cassian, Wedge, and Biggs. I couldn't push through any damage whatsoever. Next turn he kills Jake on an unmodded range 3 shot through a cloud (I rolled 4 blanks and an eyeball). 

I think I safely determined that this is not a jousty list. I realize my dice failed me and his dice were hot, but I also think that I set up poorly because I didn't fully appreciate how good his list was at jousting and how methodical he was going to be in just coming straight for me. 

To go back to the beginning, the list felt good, but the number of additional maneuvers to plan for was daunting. I'll give it a shot again and see how it does. Otherwise I might be going back to 5Ys or 4X (for something different) or sprite swarm (for something fun). 

Yea this is why I run big rocks, especially a list that isnt flying formation. If you see a tie swarm like this, you dont want to joust. You want to break the formation over asteroids and then have wedge, biggs, and jake attack the flanks picking ships off. You can run Cassian right into them if hes going to be in the kill box anyways, with the hopes of blocking and breaking the formation up/getting unmodded shots. With X wings and A wing, you are okay with the game going long and slowly picking forces down