Pooleman

Shore Trooper Article

2 minutes ago, Caimheul1313 said:

Some of us think the Detachments might require the "parent" unit to be included in the list. I think it's possible they won't even count against the Corps unit requirement, or could even some special Detachment order marker, or even be a Support unit but have something like Entourage so it doesn't take a slot in the Force Org.

Entourage would be on the base corps cards though (shore troopers or veterens).

I agree that it will probably be required to take the matching corps unit.

1 minute ago, KommanderKeldoth said:

Entourage would be on the base corps cards though (shore troopers or veterens).

I agree that it will probably be required to take the matching corps unit.

Not if it's "Detachment" and also includes the requirement to take the matching corps unit.

Posted (edited)

Yeah, I feel like based on the vauge wording in the articles it'll be something like Detachment: X (You may only deploy this unit if you have X in your army) or whatever the technical term is. They don't need the Entourage effect because Coordinate gives them the ability to pass tokens to Emplacement Troopers in general. 

Edited by UnitOmega

8 hours ago, UnitOmega said:

.he Magma trooper is a pretty subtle edit too, it just is obviously quite easy to confuse at a distance. Now, you can't sell x2 skins or action figures if you just made them "High temp assault troopers", but if they are quite so similar so that there are only very subtle differences there is something to be said for just merging the aesthetics. For legion for instance, if they did end up producing both as models (as opposed to say, maybe an improvement to customization if they moved to sprues) you're gonna have a hard time with their own "not confusing" visibility rule trying to note the only difference being no ammo pouch and shin guards - they even have the same color pauldrons. It could be worse though, I think the legends magma trooper is just a stormtrooper painted bright red. 

I totally wasn't trying to make a case for Magma Troopers in Legion. I agree that they are too similar to Sandtroopers for wargame proposes. They are just a good design in general.

43 minutes ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Honestly, I hope both magma and sandtroopers make it into the game - by way of a stormtrooper rerelease on sprues.   Having extra pieces so you can visualize the Environmental Gear upgrade card would be great.  Works well for the mimban stormtroooers too.  

Agreed.  Having the option to make my Stormtroopers Sand/Magma/Mimban/whatever troopers is great, but we don't need new releases for each subtype of stormtrooper.  If anything, a "title" card like X-Wing has would make sense, and offer a slight bonus (whatever that may be), but not require a dedicated expansion just for slightly-sandier-or-muddier-than-normal troopers.

5 minutes ago, vissur1 said:

FTFY.

Unless I've missed an announcement Ackbar hasn't been confirmed for the game yet, meaning that currently, bar named commanders, everything that's been released could have Mon Cal heads added to the sprues when they get updated.

1 minute ago, Indy_com said:

Unless I've missed an announcement Ackbar hasn't been confirmed for the game yet, meaning that currently, bar named commanders, everything that's been released could have Mon Cal heads added to the sprues when they get updated.

Yes, there is no Ackbar commander, but once they start sticking properly sized heads for mon cal on sprues, then every commander can be a fish-person.

1 minute ago, vissur1 said:

Yes, there is no Ackbar commander, but once they start sticking properly sized heads for mon cal on sprues, then every commander can be a fish-person.

Unless FFG have rules against giving Named units fish heads.

9 hours ago, Caimheul1313 said:

Not if it's "Detachment" and also includes the requirement to take the matching corps unit.

I think the distinction here is that Detachment probably won't remove the force count requirement the same way Entourage does.  
So, You have to have Unit X to deploy Unit Y, but you can still only have three of Unit Y

7 minutes ago, Caimheul1313 said:

Only thing is the OP document's line about not being allowed to "create significant confusion" with any modifications. 

Having a generic officer and Han with the same fish head could cause issues.

Less so with Luke Fishwalker

8 minutes ago, Zrob314 said:

I think the distinction here is that Detachment probably won't remove the force count requirement the same way Entourage does.  
So, You have to have Unit X to deploy Unit Y, but you can still only have three of Unit Y

The "issue" being if the Detachment is a Corps unit then it is a cheap way of filling out the Corps requirement, assuming the Detachments are Corps units of course (based on the Weapons Teams from Scout troopers/Commandos). Support is also fairly likely though, and we won't really know until we see either the card for the Detachment or at least the other order token. 

46 minutes ago, Caimheul1313 said:

The "issue" being if the Detachment is a Corps unit then it is a cheap way of filling out the Corps requirement, assuming the Detachments are Corps units of course (based on the Weapons Teams from Scout troopers/Commandos). Support is also fairly likely though, and we won't really know until we see either the card for the Detachment or at least the other order token. 

I'm fairly certain it's going to be support.  But I might be wrong.  We'll find out eventually. 

I'm curious what the TTS team is going to do with them while we wait. 

2 minutes ago, Zrob314 said:

I'm fairly certain it's going to be support.  But I might be wrong.  We'll find out eventually. 

I'm curious what the TTS team is going to do with them while we wait. 

They do also make sense as Support, but time will tell. It's sometimes enjoyable to speculate while we wait for the reveal. 😛

13 minutes ago, jcmonson said:

Did anyone notice that the painted figures poses are different than the 3-D renders?  I wonder if this is the start of the more customizable minis?

The only difference I'm seeing is very slight head tilts? Which wouldn't suggest that IMO.

5 minutes ago, SpiderMana said:

The only difference I'm seeing is very slight head tilts? Which wouldn't suggest that IMO.

The heads of the running guy and the kneeling guy are in different orientations.  The kneeling guy is looking to the right in the render, and straight in the painted model and the running guy is looking straight in the render but to the left in the painted model.  It is just that the other articles the models are the same as the renders.

10 hours ago, Caimheul1313 said:

We know they aren't supports, the devs said as much in the latest interview with them, and it a list with with them was:

3 Shore Troopers + 3 Mortars + 3 E-Webs

So I'd be inclined to believe that the mortar takes a corps slot, but because you need to take both it isn't any cheaper than just taking 2 Storm Trooper squads, 88 points for either choice. But unlike a normal Storm Trooper squad, the Mortar unit is less mobile, and seems to be only a 2-3 health unit that gets Fire Support which allows it to assit in its mortar attack which was said to be 3 white dice with suppressive and critical X?. 

1 hour ago, jcmonson said:

Did anyone notice that the painted figures poses are different than the 3-D renders?  I wonder if this is the start of the more customizable minis?

I only noticed the heads, which honestly would be pretty easy to do, but is a good thing.

16 hours ago, Indy_com said:

Having a generic officer and Han with the same fish head could cause issues.

Less so with Luke Fishwalker

It really couldn't. Even with the exact same head painted the exact same way the two units are extremely noticeably different looking. Also, if your opponent is somehow confused (because they're extremely dumb, I guess) they can simply ask you what the models are.

Theres no way that this is an actual problem. 

11 hours ago, Animewarsdude said:

We know they aren't supports, the devs said as much in the latest interview with them, and it a list with with them was:

3 Shore Troopers + 3 Mortars + 3 E-Webs

So I'd be inclined to believe that the mortar takes a corps slot, but because you need to take both it isn't any cheaper than just taking 2 Storm Trooper squads, 88 points for either choice. But unlike a normal Storm Trooper squad, the Mortar unit is less mobile, and seems to be only a 2-3 health unit that gets Fire Support which allows it to assit in its mortar attack which was said to be 3 white dice with suppressive and critical X?. 

I did make the post you quoted before that information was widely known on the forums to be fair. 

Also, yes it's fewer wounds, but 88 points for two barebones Stormtroopers are probably inferior to a Shoretrooper squad and a mortar which can provide Fire support for a sniper strike team. Especially if the Mortar is restricted to Range 4+.