Pooleman

Shore Trooper Article

25 minutes ago, srMontresor said:

In a game in which large battles don't even feature a platoon of soldiers

Yeah, this game is called "Legion", but a historic roman Legion is 3000-6000 troops. So obviously, we're at a small scale. Even if a planet only rates a Company or Regiment of Shoretroopers, that's still way more men than you can physically put on a Legion board, and I think a min 2:1 ratio with Death Troopers works based on Rogue One. 

Just now, srMontresor said:

And the most important thing about the shoretrooper release, no stupid chest laser.

Nah the quad reciprocating heavy will show up in the Republic releases later. FFG knows it exists, it's in one of the RPG books. 

2 minutes ago, UnitOmega said:

Yeah, this game is called "Legion", but a historic roman Legion is 3000-6000 troops. So obviously, we're at a small scale. Even if a planet only rates a Company or Regiment of Shoretroopers, that's still way more men than you can physically put on a Legion board, and I think a min 2:1 ratio with Death Troopers works based on Rogue One. 

Nah the quad reciprocating heavy will show up in the Republic releases later. FFG knows it exists, it's in one of the RPG books. 

Lucky for me, I have no interest in Clone Wars!

But, yeah, your assessment of the game's scale is spot on. Even in RoTJ, where that infamous legion was deployed, maybe 50 of them were in the actual battle. That's still more than Legion would deploy.

I honestly like the weapon choices for Shoretroopers. People have been wanting a mortar team for a while, and I love the aesthetic of these guys dug in on a beach, shelling rebels. They also have the T-21B which was a personal favorite in the first EA Battlefront and a very solid mod to a classic prop.

latest?cb=20161022005433

Look at this pretty render. 

Well,

I would have preferred Sand Troopers, (regular stormtroopers being the premier "red shirts" of the franchise) but they are nice sculpts and pretty cool uniforms.  As I mentioned in another thread, the mortars may be a good counter for snipers, depending on their range, firepower and if they can utilize indirect fire in any way.  The ATST long range mortar is usually pretty easy to find LOS due to its height, even though the minimum range can be problematic.  This figure may be hampered due to its small size.  Similar problem with Leia's and Veer's command cards.  Probably two boxes for me and a dew back..

As far as "yet another type of stormtrooper" lets look at the head-canon this way: 

"Hey Bob, this is General Steve from the base at Scarif.  Remember we served together in the Clone Wars in the 27th Legion?  Yeah, good times... Got a good idea from Sergeant Major TX-103-these stormtrooper uniforms, too stuffy, heat-stroke city for the guys here, how about these cool uniforms?  And these guys have extra special training-they are super-spesh.  BTW, I've got a couple million space bucks in this year's budget-can get your company to manufacture these?  I'm also retiring next year, maybe a consultant position available at Storm-trooper Armor R'Us?  Sound familiar to any veterans out there?

There is plenty of real world examples of every unit getting their super neat, unique uniforms because, you know, reasons.  Everyone gets a black beret....or brown as the case may be...

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

Letting people run an army of all-shore troopers is strange, considering they're apparently far rarer than scout troopers.

A full 800 point army packed with as many shoretroopers as possible would be 42 45 shoretroopers.  

The upper limit of a platoon in the US Army is 50 bodies.  So are you saying that there is less than a single platoon of shoretroopers in a military consisting of hundreds of billions, if not a trillion, beings?

Also, I'm pretty sure we see more than 45 shoretroopers in the Scariff base on screen.

Edited by Zrob314

so when looking at shoretroopers vs p1 clones I'm confused on how they are priced the same. I mean i get their base stats are the same but outside of that the shoretroopers seems entirely better.

1 minute ago, Tirion said:

so when looking at shoretroopers vs p1 clones I'm confused on how they are priced the same. I mean i get their base stats are the same but outside of that the shoretroopers seems entirely better.

Clones can spend each other's green tokens, so they have built in action efficiency whether or not they receive an order. It's a feature of the 'Clone' trooper type. Shores only get their action efficiency when ordered.

2 minutes ago, KommanderKeldoth said:

Clones can spend each other's green tokens, so they have built in action efficiency whether or not they receive an order. It's a feature of the 'Clone' trooper type. Shores only get their action efficiency when ordered.

where is that?

13 hours ago, Darth evil said:

So i gotta buy 3 boxes of shoretroopers to get 3 mortars and then throw the Shoretroopers in a box like the Scouts...yay

They have hinted at having to deploy one of the base unit for each detached heavy weapons team.

I guess these are... Nice?  Would have preferred Sandtroopers to match the Dewback. 

I guess when they do come out, there'll be a slightly tougher than usual heavy weapons choice between the T-21 and the DLT.

1 hour ago, Iceeagle85 said:

I really like these miniatures, one question though was the mortar seen in the movie or is it included for weapon diversity?

It's an FFG invention.

2 hours ago, aniron said:

They have hinted at having to deploy one of the base unit for each detached heavy weapons team.

Of all the heavy weapons I think only the DL19, the rocket launcher, and the rebel vetrans blaster cannon have been shown in a movie (oh yeah we did see a flamethrower in the Force Awakens too) so most the heavy weapons are pulled either from books and video games or made from sources other then the movies

8 hours ago, Zrob314 said:

Also, I'm pretty sure we see more than 45 shoretroopers in the Scariff base on screen.

So what? I'm sure there's more than 45 royal guards and scout troopers too. Not the issue. They aren't corps and neither should these.

26 minutes ago, TauntaunScout said:

So what? I'm sure there's more than 45 royal guards and scout troopers too. Not the issue. They aren't corps and neither should these.

From the description I posted earlier, it sounds like the Shoretroopers are corps units on watery worlds.

Just now, Red Castle said:

From the description I posted earlier, it sounds like the Shoretroopers are corps units on watery worlds.

And at the very least, are clearly 'veterans', and so fit being a more expensive Corp choice.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, InterceptorMad said:

Based on the releases in the last year, it seems diversity of unit looks is what FFG is going for.

If that were true we wouldn't have 4 of the currently sold rebels be Scendorif Rebel units. There was nothing about the original Rebel Troopers and AT-RT pilot to preclude an homage to Scarif or Endor, but then we got a unit of Endor and a unit of Scarif besides. Plus a total of 3 Scariff or Endor rebel commanders. Also if that were true, we wouldn't have Deathtroopers already, as people could and did simply paint other stormtroopers black. These various things do have visual differences from each other but nowhere as different as a myriad of other options. 

At least it wasn't sandtroopers who, while at least a sensible corps choice, would be even more visually bland, and worse, they'd make @DewbackScout happy. Dewback Scout, if you're reading this, go talk a long walk on a short dock. Anyways. I thought a cool squad of locally sourced hired thugs with a detached Corellian hound handler or something, woulda been great for this corps unit. And if FFG wanted visual variety that's the sort of route we'd have seen them go instead of a 9th product ID# given to Hardshell Humans.

I don't really care what they release now but there is no way I believe FFG cares about visual variety. From a pure perspective of visual variety, the releases seem randomly generated.

Edited by TauntaunScout

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Red Castle said:

11 minutes ago, InterceptorMad said:

And at the very least, are clearly 'veterans', and so fit being a more expensive Corp choice.

No more or less so that Scouts and several other units. So it doesn't seem to matter in FFG's book, they just do whatever. This would have made a great special forces choice but I just don't see it as a thing to fill required minimum army slots around when so many other needful things are missing from the minis line. This opens up possibilities for ONE theme, which we could already do. Navy Troopers or locally hired goons would have opened up a new can of artistic worms for Imperials in Legion.

At least it wasn't Sandtroopers... @DewbackScout must be stopped.

Edited by TauntaunScout

3 hours ago, chr335 said:

Of all the heavy weapons I think only the DL19, the rocket launcher, and the rebel vetrans blaster cannon have been shown in a movie (oh yeah we did see a flamethrower in the Force Awakens too) so most the heavy weapons are pulled either from books and video games or made from sources other then the movies

The HH-12 is fired at the AT-ACT by Baze in R1, the CM-0/93 can be seen on Both, the DH-447 is used by one of th e partisans, the proton charges are used against the emdor shield generator, the bowcaster is often used by chewie, bistan and pao are featured prominently on Scarif, the DLT-19 is carried by death troopers in R1 and the DC-15 is used by pretty much all clones in attack of the clones (and to a lesser extend in RotS).

6 minutes ago, TauntaunScout said:

Why not? Why shouldn't they be. They'e background suggests that they're used to defend coastal areas, aquatic worlds and Imperial facilities. It would make sense that battles in these areas would include as many or more of them than basic Storm Trooprs. It doesn't matter if theyre rarer than Storm Troopers at all.