When a huge ship uses a command token to resolve Piett's effect, is it possible to spend a dial +token?  Piett triggers "when spending only a command token," and the ship in question behaves "as if it had spent a command dial," whereas a huge ship gains a command token "when resolving a command dial."

Posted (edited)

"When Resolving a Command Dial" isn't...  actually a timing we already have.

Is it when *revealing* a Command Dial?  

Let's assume it is.  Since that makes simple easy rules sense.

Under That Assumption

Here's the thing with it.

You can only resolve a Command in 3 ways.

Dial.
Token.
Dial + Token.

But you're gaining a Token of the Dial in Question.

Piett allows you to turn a Token, into a Dial.  Even before we question weather the intent is to say "no, this is a Spent Dial and Nothing More" or "You've spent that Dial, now do you want to add a token to it?"

So if you already have a Token, why aren't you just resolving Dial + Token without Piett anyway?  You're only keeping the Token if you're Executor, and the net gain in both instances will be...  You end your Turn with a Token.

I mean:

I have an Engineering Dial and Piett.
I reveal it.  I now have an Engineering Dial and an Engineering Token.
I use Piett to Turn that Engineering Token into an Engineering Dial, and I have.....  An Engineering Dial I can turn into a Token.  

End Result:  I have an Engineering Dial Command, and I end up with a Token.

Contrast with:

I have an Engineering Dial, and someone else.
I reveal it.  I now have an Engineering Dial and an Engineering Token.
I spend that Engineering Dial. 

End Result:  I have an Engineering Dial Command, and I end up with a Token.

Contrast with:

I have an Engineering Dial, Piett, Executor, and an Engineering Token already.
I reveal my Dial.  I have an Engineering Dial, and Two Engineering Tokens.
I turn one of those Engineering Tokens into a Dial.  I have express permission from my Judge to also add a Token to That.    Given that I have already maxed out my Enginerring Command...  I turn that Dial into a Token.

End Result:  I have a Dial + Token Command, and I end up with a Token.

Contrast With:

I have an Engineering Dial, Someone Else, Executor, and an Engineering Token Already.
I reveal my Dial.  I have an Engineering Dial, and Two Engineering Tokens.
I Use my Engineering Dial, and an Engineering Token.

End Result:  I have a Dial + Token Command, and I end up with a Token Remaining.

See what I mean?

It'd be different if you could gain *any* token, but they stated you gain the Token *of that command*...

But with that.

Piett aint doin' Squat.

Furthermore:

If the Question is...  "I have Executor and Two Engineering Tokens, can I use Piett to turn one Token into a Dial, and then Resolve Dial+Token with my Second Token?"

No.

Piett only triggers when you spend, and I quote. "ONLY A COMMAND TOKEN".

Edited by Drasnighta

6 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

So if you already have a Token, why aren't you just resolving Dial + Token without Piett anyway?  You're only keeping the Token if you're Executor, and the net gain in both instances will be...  You end your Turn with a Token.

It becomes relevant with a different token from your revealed dial.  Say you reveal a confire and have a banked nav token.  You resolve the confire dial (plus the confire token for being a huge ship.)  Piett also allows you to spend your nav token as though it were a dial.  The question is whether, due to timing, you may gain a token and resolve a dial + token for nav as well.

Posted (edited)

No, because then you wouldn't be resolving *just a Token* in order to trigger Piett, you're trying to resolve a token(dial)+token, aren't you ?

I guess, with a laugh, I would thusly comment of "if it sounds like a Paradox to pull off, you probably can't"  :)

Edited by Drasnighta