Captain Lackwit

X-Wing: Bad Game Design - Focus

8 hours ago, TheCeilican said:

It's not about being popular it's about being relevant.

I'm fine not being relevant either. You and I are all just numbers on the internet and atoms outside of it. Who cares at the end of the day? Existing and merely existing is fine.

1 hour ago, Darth Meanie said:

Well, I don't know.  Lackwit and I just got put in the basket,  and I have a 1.94.

I guess that means I'm relevant--except when I'm being a scoundrel.

I'm somewhere in the ballpark of 1.28 I think, which is perfectly fine with me. I never learned ratios so that's just an estimate.

8 hours ago, SabineKey said:

You might not have directly said it, but it’s the impression you gave. And I’m not the only one who got that impression. 

These two statements, made very close to each other, seem to indicate that doing the math makes you a killjoy and that just liking x-Wing because it’s Star Wars because it is fun is the right way. 

That’s not to say there aren’t individual cases where this is true. But enjoying the math of X-Wing and using/explaining it doesn’t make you a killjoy, nor does one have to ignore it to have fun. I have friends who are engineers and the like who work out the probability of actions for fun because that’s what the love. And believe me, they use more actions than just the focus. Again, the focus action is a tool. It’s the most versatile, but that doesn’t make it the right action every time. It can’t fire torps, it can’t guarantee at least one evade result (not if you don’t roll eyeballs), it can’t get you out of some’s arc, or get you in range for your other toys to do their work.

Just know that it's not how I intended that statement. I am not saying mathwing is for killjoys.

16 minutes ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Just know that it's not how I intended that statement. I am not saying mathwing is for killjoys.

That’s good to hear. With how limiting this method of communication is, it’s important to carefully consider what to type to make sure it doesn’t give the wrong impression. Now, that doesn’t mean something meticulously worded can’t be misunderstood, but it helps.