R3dReVenge

Getting Back into it... Will we see larger pt games?

Hello,

I'm recently getting back into the hobby after I left for a few months due to family stuff. I saw that FFG is releasing CW factions which has me psyched!!!

I've always been a fan of epic, large point games. Most of my 40K experience was around 2.5-3.5K points. For those who haven't played 40K, it's usually a 3-4 hour game. Tons of figures on both sides. When I was playing legion, I believe the standard was 800 point games.

CW always felt epic to me. Massive droid armies vs clone armies. Now, that both Rebel + Imperial factions have more units to choose from, do you expect to see an increase the standard to play the game? Maybe up to 1,000?

Thoughts?

Or maybe, FFG is waiting to release a larger point game mode once they release the big tanks (AT-ATs, etc)?

Either way it has me thinking..

RR

I kinda hope 800 points stays the way it is, as the standard way to play the game. Nothing can stop people from playing larger games, but for pickup games I don't wanna do 3 hour matches or whatever. I personally dread WH40k, I quit that system a long time ago and have little desire to go back to needing to field so many models at once. Plus I feel like rules wise SW legions units are balanced around the assumption both players will be using 800 points.

18 minutes ago, Rammstein117 said:

I kinda hope 800 points stays the way it is, as the standard way to play the game. Nothing can stop people from playing larger games, but for pickup games I don't wanna do 3 hour matches or whatever. I personally dread WH40k, I quit that system a long time ago and have little desire to go back to needing to field so many models at once. Plus I feel like rules wise SW legions units are balanced around the assumption both players will be using 800 points.

What I always loved about 40k, was that it was up to you to decide how you wanted to play the game. You could play kill teams (200 points, ~5 models). Or play 1,000 point games (similar to legion size games). 1,500-2,000 usually lasted around 2-2.5 hours. 

I'm fine with keeping 800 points as the standard, but I'd at least like to see a ruleset for larger point (apocalypse) games.

1 hour ago, R3dReVenge said:

What I always loved about 40k, was that it was up to you to decide how you wanted to play the game. You could play kill teams (200 points, ~5 models). Or play 1,000 point games (similar to legion size games). 1,500-2,000 usually lasted around 2-2.5 hours. 

I'm fine with keeping 800 points as the standard, but I'd at least like to see a ruleset for larger point (apocalypse) games.

There already is: grand army. It’s a mode where everything (point limit, unit class limits) are doubled and you play on a bigger table

We already have a larger point game called grand army. It's 1600 points.

I don't want to see a point hike in standard play. It would harm list variety in factions as they currently stand and would make a larger barrier of entry for anyone interested

Big games are great. The support for grand army scenarios is a bit light at the moment but I expect they will get to fleshing it out eventually. Till then play what you like.

Official play scenarios have been smaller then 800 and I think it’s great for event play to find a smaller faster format with less table space and less of a barrier to entry.

but yeah playing huge games is awesome and I’m sure we will see an AT-AT eventually.

I wonder how the game and the army build would change if the points and up to 1000p, assuming the force org charts stays the same.

It is a focus on unit counts in the meta right now and if they inceease the points you might be able to bring in multiple stronger units to counter this which would be great in my opinion.

But not sure if it would change some thing at all. May be you just chase even more avtivations.

Posted (edited)

If you don't want to play on events, than there's nothing stopping you from playing as many points as you want. Just have to adjust some things. 

Edited by Vode

1 hour ago, TauntaunScout said:

When I started in 40k, a boxed 2,000 point Space Marine Army had 41 men and a vehicle in it. Now that game is infected with the sickness of greed. I all but abandoned it for Legion because Legion uses actually playable and paintable sized collections of models like 40k once did.

Fantasy went that route as well which is why i dropped it. Suddenly all my 5x4 units of infantry needed to be doubled in width to use horde rules otherwise they would be useless against the 21 spear attacks they would eventually take per turn :(

14 minutes ago, Darth evil said:

Fantasy went that route as well which is why i dropped it. Suddenly all my 5x4 units of infantry needed to be doubled in width to use horde rules otherwise they would be useless against the 21 spear attacks they would eventually take per turn :(

And scale creep meant I couldn’t even get new models with which to double them...

Play whatever poijt limit you want.  Seems like we always have an odd man out at the store on mondays.  So ill play a 1200pt army against the pair with 600pts each.  Just go out play and have fun. 

Grand army unit break down 1600pts

0-4 commanders

0-4 opertives

6-10 corps

0-5 special forces

0-5 support

0-4 heavies

Frim the rules reference in grand army.  Have fun.  Ffg is over your shoulder saying you cant do it.  Just remember its all in fun.

2 hours ago, The captn said:

0-4 commanders

1-4. "Additionally, battles between grand armies are conducted on a 4' x 6' battlefield. During step 5 of setup, do not draw any deployment cards, and during step 6 each player has only one opportunity to eliminate a card. Lastly, each player's deployment zone is treated as an area within range 2 of a 6’ edge of the battlefield, opposite their opponent (the blue player chooses their side of the battlefield as normal during step 4)."

Anyway, due to the large scale of the miniatures there's a low practical upper limit to the scale of any battles. I'd guess 2400 points, maybe 3200.

I realize I'm beating a well and truly dead horse here, but with a name like "Legion" you'd expect a game to support thousands of soldiers on each side. I really wish it were an infantry-focused wargame at the same model scale as X-Wing (IIRC 1/270), which would work. Or in 40K terms: Apocalypse isn't the way to go for large battles, Epic is. (Would've also had the added benefits that at such small a scale you don't paint faces' details, so pre-painted would have been a viable option, and that all squads of a type having identical poses wouldn't stick out so much.)

But for what it's worth, here are some ad-hoc suggestions for 2400/3200 pts:

Commander: 1-6/1-8

Operative: 0-6/0-8

"Corps": 9-16/12-20 (maybe less)

Special Forces: 0-8/0-10

Support: 0-8/0-10

Heavy: 0-6/0-8

Battlefield: 6 ft. × 6 ft./8 ft. × 6 ft.

11 hours ago, ScummyRebel said:

I don’t think it has to be bigger. 800 points can still take a while.

I will be trying the official 2vs2 team game format next month - each player has 600 points so 1200 vs 1200

I tried a game like that a couple of weeks ago.  Took forever, but actually was a lot of fun.  Probably the single most fun of any Legion game I've played. 

6 hours ago, arnoldrew said:

Sounds like a miserable slog.

It should run not much longer than a grand army game.

It's three tables of two per side, where objectives trigger events on other tables, but each table only syncs state at the end of each turn.

1 hour ago, CaptainRocket said:

It should run not much longer than a grand army game.

It's three tables of two per side, where objectives trigger events on other tables, but each table only syncs state at the end of each turn.

Wait, what? That's called "playing 3 games at once", not a 4800 point game. Linking the battles sounds pretty cool, though.