Da_Brown_Bomber

How many of your friends have left x-wing?

Back to the OP topic (or close to it) the biggest stumbling blocks for me have been the app they want you to use and the cost of conversion kits. My solution has been to stick with 1, and the folks I play with think similarly. The local scene here is all Armada and 40k now, and we’ve been going back and forth between x-wing 1.0 and a homebrew Gundam style mecha game based on 1.0

Rotations probably won't happen, but there are more people intrigued by the idea than put off, so who knows. I don't think I'd mind rotations at all if the ship pool was wide enough that it just kept things fresh without being crippling. Do the Hearthstone thing of the base cards (core and wave 1) are always available, and from there it's three successive waves of ships. That's a pretty wide pool, but also gives some scope to keep tournaments fresh.

That said, I peaced out of the tournament scene indefinitely toward the end of 1e due to the fun being sucked out of it for me, so perhaps I'm not the best person to talk on the matter.

15 hours ago, BenderIsGreat said:

I know, right? At least Armada makes more sense.

Does it though? I play Armada too, and while I've always argued the cost-to-play curve is an inverse of X-wing (expensive to get started, cheap to keep up), it's still by no means an inexpensive game. I can, however, see anyone who plays Armada more not wanting to spend money on X-wing too. They're competing for the same wallet, and someone is going to lose out because half-arseing the two to get both will just result in worse options for both. I imagine 40k is the same, though I got out of that back in 3rd edition.

30 minutes ago, Kehl_Aecea said:

I believe it was mentioned that the rotation idea is for Hyperspace format only once the factions get more fleshed out. Extended won't have those limitations on it.

Yeah they said this during the Adepticon panel. They also said the most iconic ships from each faction will never rotate out of hyperspace legality. 

41 minutes ago, NakedDex said:

I don't think I'd mind rotations at all if the ship pool was wide enough that it just kept things fresh without being crippling. Do the Hearthstone thing of the base cards (core and wave 1) are always available, and from there it's three successive waves of ships. That's a pretty wide pool, but also gives some scope to keep tournaments fresh.

Imperials and rebels both have 6 ships that are hyperspace legal. I imagine that they'll keep the pools around this size - if they were going to make them bigger, I don't see why they would have jumped up to 6 so quickly when lots of the now-legal stuff hasn't been released for 2.0 yet and the new factions are so far behind in terms of ship choice. As someone who's just getting into the game, this seems like a good compromise between not having so many ship options that events become too intimidating few newbies like me and having enough options to keep things interesting for the more experienced people.

Absolutely agree, but I do expect the pool to widen a bit. I feel like 8 would be the sweet spot, but who knows. We'll see after we get more results from hyperspace games at the current 6 ships.

I do think that keeping the contents of the core set permanently in the rotation is also good for newbies though, and offers a good base level for power and price in hyperspace ships.

Posted (edited)

No-one I know is still actively playing X-wing. I wouldn't say 2.0 is the cause of that- I get the impression many of the "standard format players" were already drifting away as 1.0 progressed- but instead of rejuvenating the scene, the new version seems to have killed off any lingering interest around here (our FLGS closing down really hasn't helped). It certainly has put paid to my own, small-scale efforts to introduce the game to new players.

Edited by Dobbs Mottley

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, NakedDex said:

Absolutely agree, but I do expect the pool to widen a bit. I feel like 8 would be the sweet spot, but who knows. We'll see after we get more results from hyperspace games at the current 6 ships.

I do think that keeping the contents of the core set permanently in the rotation is also good for newbies though, and offers a good base level for power and price in hyperspace ships.

^This. some rotation in extended hyperspace is a good thing. adding a ship and taking out a ship seems pretty good. the biannual points adjustments also keep the game fresh in both formats.

ive got scum, imperials and rebels but am only playing with scum right now. until i get a compelling reason to change factions ill stick with scum mostly but ive been thinking makinga  switch to rebels for a while. i haven been too interested in buying into a 4th faction - i just have too many ships on the shelf not seeing play already. 

Edited by Da_Brown_Bomber

Just now, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

^This. some rotation in extended is a good thing. adding a ship and taking out a ship seems pretty good. the biannual points adjustments also keep the game fresh in both formats.

Keeping everything in Extended gives an ultimate fallback. People who really like TIE Defenders or Rebel HWKs or whatever other random ship will always have a format they can fly it in.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, svelok said:

Keeping everything in Extended gives an ultimate fallback. People who really like TIE Defenders or Rebel HWKs or whatever other random ship will always have a format they can fly it in.

4 minutes ago, svelok said:

oops. i meant hyperspace. edit made. im happy with extended being the play what you want format for sure. [This is what happens when u post at 4.30am]

Edited by Da_Brown_Bomber

It's died at my local store. 1.0 had monthly tournaments and every Fri/Sat night there was always at least half a dozen players that would show up to play for years. Interest was starting to wane towards the end of that version, but many didn't even try to convert over to 2.0. I don't think there's even been a monthly tournament in about a year.

However, I think the biggest killer to X-wing in my community was the release of Warhammer 40K 8th edition.

On 4/12/2019 at 9:13 AM, Dobbs Mottley said:

No-one I know is still actively playing X-wing. I wouldn't say 2.0 is the cause of that- I get the impression many of the "standard format players" were already drifting away as 1.0 progressed- but instead of rejuvenating the scene, the new version seems to have killed off any lingering interest around here (our FLGS closing down really hasn't helped). It certainly has put paid to my own, small-scale efforts to introduce the game to new players.

We had a group of 12  people from all over the cities  that got together super casual at our homes for x-wing  outside of the store/ league  and tournaments. Occasional players who buy a ship more for the model. Even though i offered to bring the ships and cards  the group lost 10  players with 2.0 and quickly fell apart.  The kids group also fell apart but is slowly regaining some momentum.  Yesterday there was a 16 and a 9 year old  at the MN FFG  Hyperspace tournament.  previous year there were 6 kids i believe , not huge but significant because when the parents lose interest  the kids no longer have a game to play.  Conversion kits were perfectly designed 1 for each player   for the cardboard and cards (not dials)   so that forces a house with 3 players to buy minimum 2 conversion kits  just so 2 people can fly the special pilot at the same time. For me I think the reinvestment cost was too steep to make your collection whole ,  would have been nice to be able to  select  each ship individually  and spread the cost out a little and have duplicate pilots  , just  like when you bought the extra  swarm 6 tie fighters originally you had 6+ of the restricted pilots / bases to loan or give away or have resources to invite new players to your group .  Building a synergy with new players is very  important for building  the success of the game . The good news is as the weekly pay to play tournaments winner takes the cash  have diminished  and transformed into weekly themed  events  or Leagues that have distributed prizes to everyone, these events  get your hands on more of your collection flying ships you rarely fly.  I like playing x-wing  so i am staying in , I think it will take a little over 2 years to get back to where  we were before 2.0.