Jump to content
Da_Brown_Bomber

How many of your friends have left x-wing?

Recommended Posts

My FLGS has seen an increase of X wing players. We have had almost a full conversion over to 2.0 in our squad AND a few new people have shown up and joined. We managed to get 14 people at our last small tounrament and (even more impressivly) we get people showing up for our weekly casual play in numbers of 6-8; even 12 that one that I couldn't even make it. 

My group uses the SLACK app to keep in touch. This helps us:

  1. Shoot the $#!t about X wing
  2. Coordinate game nights and tournaments
  3. Put the word out about big events
  4. Ask if someone can borrow someone elses thing
  5. Keep in touch with new players and players from the broader area, so that we can get together for bigger events

 

I wouldn't trade my squad for anything; It's a great group of people. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2019 at 8:54 AM, NakedDex said:

I don't think it's fair to say people were whining about spending $50. Maybe if they were playing just one faction and didn't have huge collection, but for me and many others I know, it took a core set and 4, 5, or even 6 conversion kits to cover them. That was before we even got the Resistance/First Order packs.

I know the pack contents annoyed more people here than anything. Covering so many Decimators but only a handful of Fighters. Covering so many Falcons, but only covering a pair of A-wings. That in itself caused a lot of justifiable whining that lead to people canning it.

This is why I bailed.  I have 100+ ships and many are customs with cards I painstakingly designed and printed with Strange Eons.  Not only am I not redoing all that work, I’m also not buying 7-8 conversion kits.  I pop onto the forums every once in a while to check on the status of Epic 2.0 but, honestly, unless it’s absolutely mindblowing, I’m probably done for good.  The 3.75 scale Khetanna has reignited my passion for action figures and all my money is going that way now.  The only thing that will draw me back in is a truly epic Epic 2.0 with some amazing new Huge ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, weisguy119 said:

This is why I bailed.  I have 100+ ships and many are customs with cards I painstakingly designed and printed with Strange Eons.  Not only am I not redoing all that work, I’m also not buying 7-8 conversion kits.  I pop onto the forums every once in a while to check on the status of Epic 2.0 but, honestly, unless it’s absolutely mindblowing, I’m probably done for good.  The 3.75 scale Khetanna has reignited my passion for action figures and all my money is going that way now.  The only thing that will draw me back in is a truly epic Epic 2.0 with some amazing new Huge ships.

Epic is not on the radar right now. FFG must have some plans but nothing official from what I have heard. I think it will be back but maybe not for another few waves at least?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

Epic is not on the radar right now. FFG must have some plans but nothing official from what I have heard. I think it will be back but maybe not for another few waves at least?

It was announced at the Adepticon panel that Epic had finished development. It was mentioned it would be the home campaigns/scenarios.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first response to a post here in quite some time but this is a question that may deserve an answer. 

While I still have all the ships I ever bought I've suffered through two major downturns which basically have taken me away from the game.  The first down turn was when FFG gained its "new" corporate overlords and the price I was asked to pay to stay current with my ships jumped what seemed like 20% or more.  This took my ship acquisitions from "I'll pick up copies of them when they are released" to "I HOPE I can find the ships I don't yet have when they are ON SALE" although this plan runs into the nice issues where finding one for a good price doesn't help when shipping is factored in and when I want to place a large order there are ships I don't have but want that are out of stock/unavailable. 

The second incident was of course the 2ed coming out and DEMOLISHING the game I'd been with since almost the beginning and turning it into something complete new that would not only need to be relearned but require additional cash outlays just to keep my current collection in "playable" condition.

I may never have been a "tournament player" but I'm certainly not a fan of such binary "win/lose" scoring (maybe this has also changed in the last year or since 2ed came out) when I believe that many games really should be scored as a DRAW where neither side holds enough of an advantage to be declared the winner.  This was souring me way back when this change first happened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, SabineKey said:

It was announced at the Adepticon panel that Epic had finished development. It was mentioned it would be the home campaigns/scenarios.

that is promising. anyones guess as to when they will roll it out but hopefully soon!

I get the impression from this forum that there will be a few come back into the fold once it hits stores.

Edited by Da_Brown_Bomber

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

that is promising. anyones guess as to when they will roll it out but hopefully soon!

I'll be at Celebration. 

I'll Force choke FFG staff until I get an answer.

THIS IS NO CONSULAR BOOTH!!  WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH THOSE PLANS FOR EPIC!!!

😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SabineKey said:

It was announced at the Adepticon panel that Epic had finished development. It was mentioned it would be the home campaigns/scenarios.

If they do campaigns and release some nice, new Huge ships, it’ll be hard for me to stay away.  My dollars would be stretched by my 3.75 collecting this time around, though.

Edited by weisguy119

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Gilarius said:

No-one who's looked into the costs and hassle should be advocating single packs for single ships being produced (whether online or not), instead everyone with excess bits or lacking bits should have been able to trade these.

ShouldaWouldaCoulda.   In REALITY, trading has been virtually IMPOSSIBLE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes many of them. Actually there was like waves of people leaving the game.

1st wave - After 360 degree turrets (when the millenium falcon was released), 3 people quit.

2nd wave - After the 4 Y-wing TLT meta, 5 people quit.

3rd wave - Competitive scene, in my local group there was a big discussion about how competitive the game was and there was no enjoyable environment for the players, 4 people (even myself) quit the game.
4th wave - 2nd edition was announced, 3 people quit the game. (I came back to the game and some of my friends too)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding Epic....

I tend to fall in the category of thinking that FFG did the best it could from a business and consumer standpoint with the conversion kits (no, I'm not saying they were perfect), and I only went with one kit per faction to be able to make lists I wanted even though it doesn't cover every possibility I could field with my collection.   

I cannot imagine the cost or frustration of converting to epic and am very interested to see how they do it because they'll doubtless have conversion kits for the big ships (probably just one for all?) but to play lists I would want in epic I might need three conversion kits from one faction.    Hopefully, they've got this figured out somehow and maybe are including extra fighter bases or something.   I hope it's really, really good, too, as I liked epic.

Sorry to be negative here...Maybe someone else has some better vision of how they could see it happening, and maybe epic will be good enough to bring people back who have just been waiting for it, but if the cost of initially converting to 2.0 threw people off, it's not like epic is going to be easier or cheaper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, AlexW said:

Regarding Epic....

I tend to fall in the category of thinking that FFG did the best it could from a business and consumer standpoint with the conversion kits (no, I'm not saying they were perfect), and I only went with one kit per faction to be able to make lists I wanted even though it doesn't cover every possibility I could field with my collection.   

I cannot imagine the cost or frustration of converting to epic and am very interested to see how they do it because they'll doubtless have conversion kits for the big ships (probably just one for all?) but to play lists I would want in epic I might need three conversion kits from one faction.    Hopefully, they've got this figured out somehow and maybe are including extra fighter bases or something.   I hope it's really, really good, too, as I liked epic.

Sorry to be negative here...Maybe someone else has some better vision of how they could see it happening, and maybe epic will be good enough to bring people back who have just been waiting for it, but if the cost of initially converting to 2.0 threw people off, it's not like epic is going to be easier or cheaper.

Mercifully, due to the smaller number of vessels (unless I've gone mad, there was a total of 5?), I suspect that the 'conversion' kit for Epic will be a single release, containing the necessary cardboard to convert one of each ship, as well as Epic-specific cards (damage deck and upgrades) and templates. Personally, I'd like them to double down on objective play and throw in campaign rules options.

FFG will likely not include any cards or cardboard for non-Epic vessels in such a pack. It would dilute the purpose of the pack, and would raise awkward questions of what exactly to include and in what quantities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, AceDogbert said:

Mercifully, due to the smaller number of vessels (unless I've gone mad, there was a total of 5?), I suspect that the 'conversion' kit for Epic will be a single release, containing the necessary cardboard to convert one of each ship, as well as Epic-specific cards (damage deck and upgrades) and templates. Personally, I'd like them to double down on objective play and throw in campaign rules options.

FFG will likely not include any cards or cardboard for non-Epic vessels in such a pack. It would dilute the purpose of the pack, and would raise awkward questions of what exactly to include and in what quantities.

Yeah, I agree, but if people weren't happy with the 2.0 conversion kits and stayed away, they're going to need whatever the epic conversion is+all of the things that they would have needed to convert to 2.0 and probably multiple copies of the conversion kit for their faction(s) of choice.  It's going to be in the neighborhood of $175-$200 to convert that first faction and about $100 for each additional faction.   I'm just interested to see how good the epic 2.0 has to be players who are starting at zero to jump all the way in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, AceDogbert said:

Mercifully, due to the smaller number of vessels (unless I've gone mad, there was a total of 5?), I suspect that the 'conversion' kit for Epic will be a single release, containing the necessary cardboard to convert one of each ship, as well as Epic-specific cards (damage deck and upgrades) and templates. Personally, I'd like them to double down on objective play and throw in campaign rules options.

I agree that they will most likely have 1 conversion kit with stuff for 1 of each ship.  I think it would be pretty easy to find spare bits for those with more than 1.

Armada just came out with a 2nd campaign set.  They announced that Epic will be the home of campaigns and missions.  I do see them releasing a campaign boxed set for X-wing.  I look at them doing prize packs for casual play and think they hot the memo on not just focusing on tournament play.  I'm optimistic on things.

33 minutes ago, AlexW said:

It's going to be in the neighborhood of $175-$200 to convert that first faction and about $100 for each additional faction.   

Why is it going to cost so much to convert one faction? I own more ships than most and I only needed one kit and traded for the ones I didn't have.  Things like Tie Fighters don't need new dials.  Also, if you are one of the really rare players that bought a HUGE collection of ships, do you really need to have official dials for all your ships? There are websites out there that allow you to print off dials you can glue on top of your old ships.  It isn't like you are going to do a tournament or anything.   Do you need new dials for the 12 T-65's you own? Converting the existing ones are pretty easy. I have done it.

I think the concept of having to buy a conversion kit to ensure I have a dial for every single ship has pushed people with large collections out of the game.  I have 5 Interceptors and 5 Tie Bombers, but traded some of the spare dials I didn't need to get the other dials.  There is also buying a dial here or there off Ebay if you need just a few.  If it is an insane number of dials than you probably don't need for them to be official dials.  

Conversion kits have also started to go on sale places.  They were Buy One Get One Free on Barnes & Noble last week.   The concept of it costing so much to convert your collection is false if you are realistic about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, AlexW said:

 but if the cost of initially converting to 2.0 threw people off, it's not like epic is going to be easier or cheaper.

Maybe not cheaper, but it should be easier:

1 hour ago, AceDogbert said:

Mercifully, due to the smaller number of vessels (unless I've gone mad, there was a total of 5?), I suspect that the 'conversion' kit for Epic will be a single release, containing the necessary cardboard to convert one of each ship, as well as Epic-specific cards (damage deck and upgrades) and templates.

Because I would surely hope that the above is the case.

Quote

Personally, I'd like them to double down on objective play and throw in campaign rules options.

This would be great, but I would also be happy if this was sold separately.

Especially since in the long haul, I would like to see these sorts of things come with ships that go with the missions.  Think, for example, of actually getting a Senator's Shuttle mini with card and dial instead of a punch board chit for the mission.  Or, getting a set of cards and cardboard to use a Lambda as Shuttle Tydirium.

Quote

FFG will likely not include any cards or cardboard for non-Epic vessels in such a pack. It would dilute the purpose of the pack, and would raise awkward questions of what exactly to include and in what quantities.

Well, while the question of what to include would be awkward, this would be a great opportunity to throw in a few dials for "neglected" generics (B-Wing, for example).

Epic players especially need more dials and bases to convert ships for bigger games, and maybe some non-Epic players might take advantage of the chance to convert swarm-style ships.

Edited by Darth Meanie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

Why is it going to cost so much to convert one faction? I own more ships than most and I only needed one kit and traded for the ones I didn't have.  Things like Tie Fighters don't need new dials.  Also, if you are one of the really rare players that bought a HUGE collection of ships, do you really need to have official dials for all your ships? There are websites out there that allow you to print off dials you can glue on top of your old ships.  It isn't like you are going to do a tournament or anything.   Do you need new dials for the 12 T-65's you own? Converting the existing ones are pretty easy. I have done it.

I think the concept of having to buy a conversion kit to ensure I have a dial for every single ship has pushed people with large collections out of the game.  I have 5 Interceptors and 5 Tie Bombers, but traded some of the spare dials I didn't need to get the other dials.  There is also buying a dial here or there off Ebay if you need just a few.  If it is an insane number of dials than you probably don't need for them to be official dials.  

Plenty of people here weren't willing to do what you did  and gave it as a reason they didn't continue into 2.0 at all.  I'm not saying these things can't be done.  I'm saying that if these things were barriers and reasons for people to not convert to 2.0, they're still barriers in moving into Epic 2.0, and they're even more significant barriers.   

My estimate of the cost was needing two conversion kits (cardboard, cards,  and dials for the ships) along with the 2.0 Core Set, and whatever the new Epic 2.0 conversion kit costs. 

I'm not complaining personally -- I just don't get how people who didn't convert initially because of the kits are going to reconcile it for Epic 2.0.    Dedicated epic players probably do get better value out a second conversion kit than most non-epic players, so if that is what you mean, I get it.

 

15 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

Maybe not cheaper, but it should be easier:

 How is it easier since you still have to make the same conversion, plus whatever it is for Epic? 

Edited by AlexW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, AlexW said:

How is it easier since you still have to make the same conversion, plus whatever it is for Epic? 

Well, because if they kept it very basic, it's 1 kit, new rules, 5 dials, 5 ship cards, and 5 baseplates, and huge ship upgrades.  Done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

Well, because if they kept it very basic, it's 1 kit, new rules, 5 dials, 5 ship cards, and 5 baseplates, and huge ship upgrades.  Done.

Yeah, that gets you your large ships but, as I understand it, some people (I thought one was you) haven't (a couple of those thoughts are below).   You will still need an X-Wing Core set and conversion kit (probably 2) from your faction of choice for your non-epic ships in epic games.

I think it's great if Epic brings people back, but I'm skeptical.   I'm personally not very likely to convert because I don't play it enough and the converting the factions I'd play would require a second conversion kit.

 

13 hours ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

I get the impression from this forum that there will be a few come back into the fold once it hits stores.

 

12 hours ago, weisguy119 said:

If they do campaigns and release some nice, new Huge ships, it’ll be hard for me to stay away.  My dollars would be stretched by my 3.75 collecting this time around, though.

 

Edited by AlexW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, AlexW said:

Yeah, that gets you your large ships but, as I understand it, some people (I thought one was you) haven't (a couple of those thoughts are below).   You will still need an X-Wing Core set and conversion kit (probably 2) from your faction of choice.

Well, to be certain I'm an oddball case in that I want Epic but haven't converted any of the factions involved.  Also, I'm a kitchen table gamer, so as @heychadwick points out, I have lots of wiggle room to be unofficially official.  My options, as I see it are:

A.  Epic is awesome, and I finally convert at least Empire to 2.0.

B.  Epic is awesome, and I use a 2.0 list builder and rules but just use old templates and dials, because who cares.

C.  Epic is awesome and I use 2.0 Huge ships with 1.0 all else.

D.  Republic gets a Huge ship (I say this because I think the Republic Corvette is an obvious new Huge) and this becomes my Epic faction of choice.

Quote

I think it's great if Epic brings people back, but I'm skeptical.

If Epic = Huge Ships only, I don't think that will have much of a draw.

If Epic = missions, campaigns, big battles, and Huge ships, I think there are a lot of people who will buy into that.

IMHO, if this game is going to last, it needs to grow into something more than 200 point skirmishes.  Epic can be that beast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AlexW said:

I think it's great if Epic brings people back, but I'm skeptical.   I'm personally not very likely to convert because I don't play it enough and the converting the factions I'd play would require a second conversion kit.

Why do you need 2 conversion kits? You can always convert your old dials for ships you need.  

Even if you just want to have 2 conversion kits B&N had a Buy One Get One Free sale.  You could get two for $50.  That sale was short and the last one was $75 for 2 conversion kits.  You can always buy the damage deck and templates on their own.  

If cost were really an issue and you really have to have dials for every ship, then you can always catch things on sale for a lot less than listed price.

3 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

If Epic = missions, campaigns, big battles, and Huge ships, I think there are a lot of people who will buy into that.

They already stated that Epic was going to be the home of campaigns and missions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

Why do you need 2 conversion kits? You can always convert your old dials for ships you need.  

Even if you just want to have 2 conversion kits B&N had a Buy One Get One Free sale.  You could get two for $50.  That sale was short and the last one was $75 for 2 conversion kits.  You can always buy the damage deck and templates on their own.  

If cost were really an issue and you really have to have dials for every ship, then you can always catch things on sale for a lot less than listed price.

They already stated that Epic was going to be the home of campaigns and missions. 

Cost isn't an issue; I'd pay the money before I wanted to spend the time converting dials and bases.  I just don't want to store/have extra components that I'm not going to use more than a couple times a year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, heychadwick said:

They already stated that Epic was going to be the home of campaigns and missions. 

Yeah, I know.

Its was an unfortunately cumbersome way to say that Epic is going to be better than it was.

OTOH, we don't know if that material is going to be released concomitantly with a conversion kit.  If they stage it, and it takes months to years for a campaign to come out, Epic might not see as much interest initially as one would hope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since we’ve derailed this thread into Epic discussion, it would be cool if we get campaign boxes similar to the Armada ones with missions and new uniques/generic star fighter tokens/dials( think A,B,X,Y,Z,tie, interceptor, bomber,etc). You could include occasional large ships as well, hopefully say a couple boxes a year. It would be standard operating procedure for FFG to put these here to entice standard players to purchase these as well. Either way hopefully they will make something soon for those of us who prefer a larger engagement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...