Da_Brown_Bomber

How many of your friends have left x-wing?

Numbers of players in our local club right now are smaller than they were when 1.0 was doing well.

I have a good friend start to lose interest in the game even before 2.0 was announced and he never bought into 2.0 at all. I have tried to convince him to give it a go as he still has all his imperial fleet and was an imperial aces advocate (especially liked defenders and soontir and the ol 1.0 RAC squad). Then TLT and other OP stuff started to ruin the game for him and u couldn't outfly some of the popular lists.

I'd guess there would be 5-6 more from my area who stopped about he same time and haven't rebooted with 2.0.

We have a core 6 players and sometimes get 10 or so at our LGS monthly events. I'm hoping the numbers will grow a bit with the new factions attracting some more new players to the game.

Only 1 stopped playing, but he barely started. He got some ships from a different friend (that we moved away from) but never bought into 2.0. The rest of my playgroup (6 or so) is all heavily invested in 2.0.

Of the group of 13-15 1.0 players, one had almost stopped playing 1.0 for a year before the announcement of 2.0 and then did not want to convert. The only other was a very active 1.0 top-player, who then more or less rage-quitted due to the introduction of 2.0. But he has been lurking about and have had 1-3 2.0 test games (and it turned out he did not sell all his 1.0 ships yet..only the scum faction got axed.) 

Since the introduction of 2.0 we have gotten 4 new players, so I think we are an 17-20 ish 2.0 players, with 13 usual suspects at tournaments, and 3-6 traviling around europe to major x-wing  events.

My buddy stopped playing once 1E began lurching from OP list to OP list.  He was never very good at the game, but he'd go to small tournaments and be fine finishing on the bottom tables ... until he started feeling like he literally didn't have a chance in any game.  (Ballpark, pre-nerf Phantoms?  Then, like I said, over-correction NPE to over-correction NPE.)  He would still play HotAC and other casual stuff (like Shuttle Tydirium's Grayskull Narrative Campaign ... but 2E basically killed that, and I wasn't able to get him to try again with 2E in tournaments.

I got into X-Wing with some good friends of mine a little before Scum and Villainy came out in 1st ed.  I had a falling out with two of them, so who knows if they still play.  And my friend who played with the most quit sometime around when the Ghost came out, a litte after Twin Laser Turrets reared their ugly heads.  As he put it, the game was becoming “pay to win”.  He hasn’t had any interest in 2nd ed, and sold all his stuff to me.

Since then I’ve been flying solo and playing with acquaintances at my flgs.

3 hours ago, Jeff Wilder said:

...He would still play HotAC and other casual stuff (like Shuttle Tydirium's Grayskull Narrative Campaign ... but 2E basically killed that, and I wasn't able to get him to try again with 2E in tournaments.

Why would 2.0 kill HOTAC?

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, nitrobenz said:

Why would 2.0 kill HOTAC?

Well, I had no desire to keep my 1.0 components to play HotAC.  And I haven't checked out HotAC for 2E yet.  (I'm not optimistic.  In my experience with fan-made content and rules for HotAC 1E, it largely consisted of, "We've added all this stuff, and it's been great, but it's really unbalanced, and we can't figure out why."  It's given me a strong bias against non-Derksen HotAC, which isn't very fair, but nevertheless is real.)

Edited by Jeff Wilder

I had two play groups, one of 6 and the other of 4. All of the 6 quit and 1 of the 4 hasn’t converted. Those of us that converted are keeping our 2.0 collections small. We had stopped playing completely but are up to probably once per month.

We had one regular who seemed ready to give it all up around the launch of 2.0, but just last week he was asking about in the FB group & chats about the new factions and flying Brobots again.

Locally, my league has gone from about 6-7 people at the start of 2.0 to now an even dozen, with several of them (including me) having come back after dropping out of 1.0 for a while.

I don't think any of my local group has permanently stopped playing since I joined, one moved away (during 1.0) and one stopped for a few months (due to time constraints) but has started back up now!

It's essentially dead here now, unfortunately. Store tournaments and OP kits used to attract enough players to fill the store, and even regular Sunday games would bring 8-10 rotating players playing all day. Now though, you might be lucky to actually get an organised game at all. I play more at home than I do in store as the store has kicked the game from it's old weekend slot in favour of more card games.

everyone in my local scene quit. modt switched to kill team, and a few of us still play 1.0.   I know some people still play in my city, but its way down.

the botched 2.0 launch was the last straw for most of us.  all the same problems but none of the ease of 1.0

I still come on the boards to see of anything has gotten better and I really want the game I loved to re-emerge, but for me it just isnt x-wing anymore.

None of my friends quit and we have a handful of new players. I agree that FFG botched the launch of 2.0 but I also think Hyperspace is pretty much everything that X-Wing needs for long-term success. 

Our local group has gone from about 10 regulars down to about 6...but I think only 2 of those are just from a lack of conversion and/or lack of interest, and one or both of those might come around.   I'm pretty sure one of them is an old Republic junkie, and won't be able to say no once they see Naboo fighters flying around.  :)

One of the others is in the military and got deployed, and the other is still getting settled after a recent move and just has not been able to get to events.  I think once it builds back up a little it will be better than ever.

Posted (edited)

I was just starting to get a secondary group of basement players when 2.0 dropped.   They had just bought in about 4 months before, and 2.0 killed it off.

My bro and I have been plodding along with 1.0 running my campaign.  If new factions had not come out, we would have essentially quit (stayed 1.0).

My other bro and my nephew would occasionally play with us, but there is no way converting is worth their while, so that's likely gone, too.

I've bought Wave 3 because Republic, and just converted Resistance because I can swallow 25 bucks.

I'm waiting with baited breath for Epic.  If it's good, FFG will keep me in, and if they ACTUALLY SUPPORT IT,  you might even see me play in public. 

It's been a knife's edge for the last year for me; seeing the possibility that Epic could fulfill my XWM dreams (and not just Huge ships--an entire ethos of campaign/narrative play) is one heck of a tease.

Edited by Darth Meanie

My oldest son was starting not to enjoy it as much by the end of 1.0 and the 2.0 announcement killed his remaining interest (needing to learn a slew of new fiddly things, etc) so I stopped going. When one out of 3 sons joined me, the monthly kit tournament could be justified, but that's not the case now. 

We play a game or 2 per month, mostly with my middle son. We tried an evening quick build and the crowd and noise is not something he can deal with easily, so that's unlikely to happen again. The youngest is a bit young and not overly interested. 

I've gone to help a local prep for a trial once, getting me my 2nd and 3rd game against a grown up for 2.0.

The fact that the local crowd has a handful of people I'd rather not deal with is really not helping in convincing me to go out and play (and was already killing my fun by the end of 1.0).

It's a shame because the core game is still good.