ahdaniels76

Need help - any tips for remembering s-foils, etc., in tournaments?

Posted (edited)

I often forget to address my s-foils until after I've revealed my dial.  I don't want to miss the timing and get called out at a tournament for not playing by the rules ("before you activate!!").  My friendly group doesn't care, but that's not the norm, I imagine.

Does anyone have any tips that are tournament legal?  For example, I think I've seen (maybe on GSP) people putting their servomotor card on top of their dials (or under) on the playmat... or maybe the dials on the card off the playmat, to force them to deal with the card as they deal with the dial.  I've also seen people put stuff on their dials (esp. with multiple similar ships).  Is it kosher to put the ship name/# (for numbered target lock tokens) + something like a "remember your s-foils!" reminder (or some shorter pictograph) on the back of the dial, or is that against the rules?  I feel like I need a system to help remember this so I don't get crushed misplaying an x-wing at something serious like a hyperspace trial or system open.   

Thanks!

Edited by ahdaniels76

Say everything out loud. My one is decloaking Whisper, so I always make sure I say System Phase after confirming dials are set. That prompts me to decloak. 

I guess Activation could work for you in a similar way.

1 minute ago, LagJanson said:

Tokens. I have s-foil tokens since I look at the map, not my cards

Pity there are no official tokens in the conversion set or expansions.

I made three S-foil tokens for myself by using blu tack to attach Z-95 dial IDs to X-wing dial IDs.

Just now, LagJanson said:

You can if you make them. Little cardboard and a marker of you can stand the results. More effort gets something better 

^ This or if you don't mind buying them Curled Paw has some nice ones :): https://www.etsy.com/listing/674217409/acrylic-s-foil-tokens?ref=shop_home_active_2&crt=1

I made my own s-foils tokens in Paint.net and printed them out. They were pretty fugly though, so I eventually got acrylics.

In a pinch, you could get some cardboard and just draw an "X" on one side, and a "-" on the other.

15 minutes ago, ahdaniels76 said:

Is it legal to just stick your s-foil card on top of your dial to make it obvious?

I think the issue there is more one of giving your intention away while your opponent is still selecting maneuvers. 

1 minute ago, Skitch_ said:

Use a big black Sharpie to write S-FOILS on the hand you use to flip over your dial.

That's what I have in mind... even with tokens, I feel like I'd still flip the dial before realizing the token was not where I wanted it.    If I put the card on top of my dial every time, I don't think I'm giving anything away... just curious if I'm breaking any rules.

What mods are ok to make to dials btw? 

I've marked my dials with bright ink so I can see which ship they are at glance. (Nothing is covered, like there's a Y for Xwing on the empty space under the moves). 

Also a pity that the moving wings are so clear enough to make those reminders. 

I was thinking of using a tiny piece of double sided tape to help stick the Xs closed position together and make that obvious different from the open foils. 

As someone with essentially no functional short term memory, I've found that verbally going through the steps of a turn is the only way I can remember "may" triggers.

And get into the habit of not revealing your dials until after you check your cards. It sucks, but yeah unfortunately that's really the only way. Slow it down a little and take your time.

I played triple T-65s until FFG deleted Supernatural Reflexes, so it was easy enough to try to remember because all of my ships did it. In the end, I just dont play X-Wings anymore for the few times where I would forget. And Aethersprites are more fun anyways.

Due to my condition, I'm not a big fan of "lol memory match" aspects in the game anyways and will always let anyone flip it at anytime, regardless of casual or tournament play. It's a mini wargame; not a memory contest. FFG could have made these timings much more accommodating to be honest. 

Posted (edited)

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/112433/Avery-Removable-Round-Multipurpose-Labels-ID/

That's a pack of 1,008, you can find smaller packs around for cheaper. Take some of your million 1E Focus and Evade tokens you have lying around and put those stickers on them, both sides. You can them label them Open/Closed and leave it by your X-Wing. When you set your dial, set it by the token or vice versus. 

Behaviorally, make yourself walk through each of the phases verbally, even if its just to say, "[to opponent] All set? Planning done. Systems, nothing to do here. Start of Activation phase..." etc. 

Edited by kris40k

You can legally write on your hand.  You can legally put the cards over the dials.  You can legally put a token next to the ship (there is no rule against any of these).  ****, I used to flip a 2-straight decloak template in my hands to remind me to decloak (it didn't always work).  Its going to be up to the TO if that violates any unsportsman like conduct (like stalling).  But it shouldn't.  I've seen plenty of people put other triggers over dials like bombs to remind them of the system phase.  I think this has come up in the TO forums and the card is the thing that matters, so make sure the card is always correct if you get a token for your ships (or if you open/close them like the ships do now)

But the others are absolutely right, announcing ala mtg style every single thing you're doing every turn will get you in the habit and leave no question that you are intentionally doing everything you mean to, including not opening s foils or whatnot.  

I played against a guy at PAX that had a nice set of tokens I haven’t seen online. They were two separate tokens that actually were shaped like open and closed  x-foils. Then he didn’t just flip the token, he had to change the token on the map, so it was more obvious for both of us playing.

I friend of mine has glued together an X-Wing and a Z-95 identification marker (those used with the plastic dial cover). The Z-95 looks like an x-wing with foils closed, and the X-wing of course has them open. And then he placed it next to the ship and turned it over depending one the state. Might not help you remember to change your state but it's great to keep track of what it actually is.

You don't need tokens; you need to practice more. You haven't ingrained your actions in your memory through repetition. If you practice more, you won't forget. 

3 hours ago, AceWing said:

You don't need tokens; you need to practice more. You haven't ingrained your actions in your memory through repetition. If you practice more, you won't forget. 

You're half-right. Practice makes a huge difference, but for those of us with bad memories it's not enough for complete reliability (and forgetting a key trigger just once can cost a whole game).

On 4/5/2019 at 3:34 PM, ahdaniels76 said:

Is it legal to just stick your s-foil card on top of your dial to make it obvious?

Or do like i sometimes do with certain critical hit cards, PUT THEM on the ship itself..