guildmaster

Resistance XXAA I5

I've tried and loved the resistance I5 list with Nein Numb, elo asty, L'ulo and Tally. It is fun to fly and it can handle most lists. It is 191p without talents. What do youthink I should kit it out with. I'm leaning towards Trickshot on all of them.

Nien Nunb (55)    
    Integrated S-Foils (0)    
    Pattern Analyzer (5)    
    Black One (2)    
    Ship total: 62  Half Points: 31  Threshold: 4    

Ello Asty (56)    
    Integrated S-Foils (0)    
    Ship total: 56  Half Points: 28  Threshold: 4    

L'ulo L'ampar (38)    
    Ship total: 38  Half Points: 19  Threshold: 2    

Tallissan Lintra (35)    
    Ship total: 35  Half Points: 18  Threshold: 2    

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Resistance&d=v6!s=200!298:,,,175,206,171,:;299:,,,175,,,:;239:,,,:;240:,,,:&sn=Unnamed%20Squadron&obs=

This is probably the most popular Resistance list out there. Typically, all 4 ships have Heroic, and SOMETIMES the A-Wings will have crack shot as well. 195 with all heroic and no crack's is a decent bid for I5, and if you lose it, the A-Wings can just block. This list is running the tables across multiple countries. Try it out!

I have played this list with heroic on the A-Wings and Ello. Crackshot is good but you have to use it quickly. As far as tactics are concerned, A-Wings are not jousters and want to fly freely using hit and run tactics. Use the X-Wings as bait while running the A-Wings up the sides. Then work behind the enemy formation then give them a death of a thousand paper cuts moving in and out. Play it right and you should win games on points. If you do want to use your A-Wings for blocking then either use Blue Squadron Recruit or Green Squadron Expert to lower the point cost when ships are at half-points are destroyed.

Both Nien and Elo is great even if I loose the bid. Then I have perfect information on how to do my 3-Talons. I'm thinking of spending all my points and geting the most efficiency out of it.

What's the key to success with this list? 

I tried it twice tonight at my LGS and won the first game by 2 pts and the next game I got trounced by 3 jedi. 

Being really cagey with this list is essential. Only engage at the optimum time and in the meanwhile try to engineer a kill box. Keeping the S-foils closed on the T70s initially is the way to go I think.

I flew this for several weeks in a row in preparation for a Hyperspace Trial. By halfway through the actual tourney, I finally began to see what @LeadBelly said: fly cagey. This list began to feel more like a “mind game” list than a formation or aces list. The A wings can very easily be somewhere unexpected, if pointed where they have multiple options, and when the fight gets too close to home, they just turn tail and continue shooting. I Began feeling out Ello as a bait piece. But don’t look like you’re trying to make him a bait piece until a turn or two in, at least for my personal style. I liked setting up in a corner facing along my edge and then 2-turning with Nien and t rolling with ello to point back toward a neutral edge to throw them off. If the opponent ignores ello in favor of the A wings and Nien, then he’s just t-rolling behind them later. I’m still workin on turn zero deployment so that my squad doesn’t initially look like how I want to engage, but that’s kind of what I mean, you fly things to make the opponent commit and it doesn’t look like you’ve committed until they have. Still learning my style of how to do that.

Posted (edited)

How come this list is so popular at the moment? Are the A Wings strong enough to compete, even though they have only got a 2 dice attack?

I would have expected that a 3 ship list with Poe, a second T-70 and just one A Wing (or triple X) would be better, but as it seems, A LOT of people out there go with 2 T-70 and 2 A-Wings at Ini level 5.

What do you think? What's really good about this? What's the trick here?

Edited by Flybywiresystem

53 minutes ago, Flybywiresystem said:

How come this list is so popular at the moment? Are the A Wings strong enough to compete, even though they have only got a 2 dice attack?

I would have expected that a 3 ship list with Poe, a second T-70 and just one A Wing (or triple X) would be better, but as it seems, A LOT of people out there go with 2 T-70 and 2 A-Wings at Ini level 5.

What do you think? What's really good about this? What's the trick here?

Well, the A wings, for starters. They have some good blue moves (3 banks even), can turn away from the fight and still shoot, and can focus-boost (which can satisfy so many use cases: arc dodge, get range & defend, mod and close range/angle firing arc). Having struggled to destroy them myself at times, I almost felt bad flying them at some points. They can have some much arc on target time, and can be hard to kill if flown right.

The T-70s are beefy, can still get 3-4 dice even with wings closed, and Nien and ello both have good forms of stress management. And with heroic on all ships, no other set of ships really has the same sort of “hail-Mary” option that resistance does for that price (4 per upgrade). Those are my thoughts anyway.

Lulo, only moves like an A-Wing.  He’s actually a pocket X-Wing.

I’ve only played against it once, but my advice for defeating is to kill or try and force the A-Wings away before you fight the T70s can join the fight.  Once the T70s arrive on the scene, you can’t afford to chase A-Wings.

I think what is appealing about this list is that there is no trick really. You fly well or you die. Now, there are a lot of positives. All Init 5 offers a lot of flexibility in maneuvering and reacting to opponent moves as well as the opportunity to take some ships out before they shoot. There are not many card combos to remember, basically do you want S-foils open or closed and don't forget to Heroic! The pilot abilities are all very good but don't need to synergies to shine. Your points are quite nicely spread out so that if you lose half points or even a whole ship, you are not fighting an uphill battle the rest of the game. I have a sneaky feeling the Awings will see a point increase this summer. Here are the two variations I fly, one with bid and the other without:

Resistance 5 Bid

Tallissan Lintra (35)    
    Heroic (1)    

Ship total: 36  Half Points: 18  Threshold: 2    

L'ulo L'ampar (38)    
    Heroic (1)    
    Trick Shot (2)    

Ship total: 41  Half Points: 21  Threshold: 2    

Ello Asty (56)    
    Heroic (1)    
    Integrated S-Foils (0)    

Ship total: 57  Half Points: 29  Threshold: 4    

Nien Nunb (55)    
    Heroic (1)    
    Integrated S-Foils (0)    
    Pattern Analyzer (5)    

Ship total: 61  Half Points: 31  Threshold: 4    

Total: 195    

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Resistance&d=v6!s=200!240:172,,,:;239:172,133,,:;299:172,,,175,,,:;298:172,,,175,206,,:&sn=Resistance 5 Bid&obs=

Resistance 5 No Bid

Just add Advanced Optics to Lulo and Crackshot on Tali

How impartant is "Heroic" for this built?

I have got a feeling that it doesn't trigger very often, and if it triggers at all, it will most probably be on the two dice rolls, hardly any 3 dice rolls.

How about putting "Advanced Optics" on all four ships?

That doesn't leave room for any other upgrades, but it brings this list of four ships to 200 points exactly.

On 4/24/2019 at 12:23 PM, Flybywiresystem said:

How impartant is "Heroic" for this built?

I have got a feeling that it doesn't trigger very often, and if it triggers at all, it will most probably be on the two dice rolls, hardly any 3 dice rolls.

How about putting "Advanced Optics" on all four ships?

That doesn't leave room for any other upgrades, but it brings this list of four ships to 200 points exactly.

They might as well call it Heroin because it's a rush when you reroll three blanks into three evades. Totally worth the single point! 

Heroics all around, PA on Nien, Predator on Tallie, leaves 5 points. I like the idea of Trick Shot on Lulo for those unexpected turns into ***** shots. Heck, maybe on Tallie too

This lists strong points are:

• High damage output (more than 3-ship builds)
  • High initiative and great movement on all ships (advantage when facing phantoms at I4). 
  • All ships at same initative – Deploy and move your ships in any order at the same time
  • If you don't have the initiative both Elo and Nien are even better, you know where the enemy is.
  • If you fly better you can win any game (high cieling). You need to practice
  • Fun to fly
  • Not bad agains any list

You have to choose your first engagement. Use your movement to split up the herd and jump one of the enemy ships. Sometimes I try to bait with Tally, She is the weakest and will soak several shots.

Heroic is OK. I prefere crackshot for extra damage (use as soon as possible). You have a few points to play around with. You don't need a bid so you can use up all your points if you want. Trickshot on everybody / Advance optics on Tally/Tractor beam on the X-wings/ HLC or an R2 unit.

I’m a big fan of Advanced Optics on the A Wings. My core I5 list is the A’s with Optics and the Xs with S Foils. That’s it. It does give me 8 points to play around if you want to give Numb Pattern Analyser or other talents. 

Posted (edited)

I guess this list is pretty obvious to a lot of people.  I used it a several weeks back for my league.  At the time, I had not seen anyone fly it nor had I read about it.  Thought I was original, haha.  This was my version...

• Ello with Heroic, Black One, Afterburners, S-Foils (65)
  • Nein with Heroic, S-Foils (56)
  • Lulo with Heroic, Trick Shot (41)
  • Tallisson with  Heroic, Trick Shot (38)

I have loved A's as blockers since early in 1.0, also, knowing where Nein needs to end up to trigger his ability means moving first can be advantageous, so instead of a bid, I loaded up Ello.   Set up head to head with someone, move in slow, then do a three bank, AfterBurner into a bank-boost then Talon onto their tail for the shot.  Mean while the A's have burned past the enemy formation and flipped their guns to make sure Ello is not sitting there by himself during his Ion turn.

It was so much fun to fly.  There is a ton of versatility in how you can fly it.  You can fly together, fly spread out, set up bait and flankers.

Edited by pickirk01

Posted (edited)

I've used this list a bit, and it is great fun to fly. It has a really good matchup against a lot of things that are rife in the meta right now such as Phantoms, rebel beef and tie swarms, and with good, savvy flying, can challenge any list. The trickshots are optional ... while they add the ability for Tallie and Lulo to punch a bit harder on the odd shot, a 5 point bid instead of 1 point bid is very strong at i5.

I did find that turn 0 and setup/deployment was key ... getting the solid first engagement is critical. You need to be kill boxing something with all four ships as the list starts to fall apart quite fast if one of the ships gets isolated.

Nien Nunb (55)
Heroic (1)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Pattern Analyzer (5)
Black One (2)
Jamming Beam (0)

Ello Asty (56)
Heroic (1)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Jamming Beam (0)

L’ulo L’ampar (38)
Heroic (1)
Trick Shot (2)

Tallissan Lintra (35)
Heroic (1)
Trick Shot (2)
Total: 199

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

Edited by Dreadai

Posted (edited)

Maybe this:

- Nien (Heroic, Pattern Analyzer, Integrated S-Foils)
- Ello (Heroic, Integrated S-Foils)
- Talli (Heroic, Marksmanship)
- L'ulo (Heroic, Trick Shot)
196 points

Edited by admat

Posted (edited)

Think I’m going to run this list. Looks fun. What obstacles should I bring? What are the good turn 1 openings to get good first engagement? Thanks in advanced. 

Edited by lergof0202

9 hours ago, lergof0202 said:

Think I’m going to run this list. Looks fun. What obstacles should I bring? What are the good turn 1 openings to get good first engagement? Thanks in advanced. 

I usually bring 1 large rock and two large debris but I would also go all debris perhaps. Flown well, Nien can do some dirty dirty shenanigans over debris with PA. I sometimes like to send the As up the side and around the back of enemy formations, they can be there by turn three no issues. With the T70s, cagey ones and barrel rolls to keep them far and out of arc. Once the it looks like I will be able to have all arcs on a target swing all ships in. Again, I want to be super cagey with this list and only engage when it's going to hurt. It's a patience game.

1 hour ago, LeadBelly said:

I usually bring 1 large rock and two large debris but I would also go all debris perhaps. Flown well, Nien can do some dirty dirty shenanigans over debris with PA. I sometimes like to send the As up the side and around the back of enemy formations, they can be there by turn three no issues. With the T70s, cagey ones and barrel rolls to keep them far and out of arc. Once the it looks like I will be able to have all arcs on a target swing all ships in. Again, I want to be super cagey with this list and only engage when it's going to hurt. It's a patience game.

Yeah, I seem to have trouble engaging with all 4 of my ships and not having 1 of my ships in multiple enemy arcs. But if I engage without getting shot, I am usually in a position where I can't get more than 2 arcs on target. I guess I just need more practice.

12 hours ago, lergof0202 said:

I run my A's with Trick Shot so the bigger the rocks, the better.  Also, the A's are very maneuverable so they can usually barrel roll or boost near the rocks to trigger the Trick Shot and gain cover from return fire.  Or if the enemy moves last, I can park right between 2 rocks so they either have to fly over the rocks to avoid me or bump me, losing their actions so my other ships can pounce.

48 minutes ago, lergof0202 said:

Yeah, I seem to have trouble engaging with all 4 of my ships and not having 1 of my ships in multiple enemy arcs. But if I engage without getting shot, I am usually in a position where I can't get more than 2 arcs on target. I guess I just need more practice.

A great way to practice is set up a group of obstacles on the table.  Get out a bunch or bases and maneuver templates and then practice moving.   Use the range ruler and templates to see how far you are moving, or what angle of arcs you are changing.  Guess a maneuver you think you should use but then use the templates and bases to see where different maneuvers would end up relative to obstacles and other ships.  Do this with ships side by side to see how formations hold together, when you can break away 2 ships to go around a rock but then turn back into formation on the other side of the rock, when boosts and barrel rolls will fit, etc.