KCDodger

Dear Separatists: I <3 U

The curse of low initiative pilot spam. I'm not sure what to do about it either. CIS is fun to play casually, but they're a one trick pony competitively. I'm hoping the Hyenas bring something to the table that really helps them out or it'll just continue to be the faction of Infiltrators.

High I seems to be a consistent problem in this Ed with pilots apparently not paying enough for such a huge advantage

Bombs hitting before activation would help a lot there, but good luck getting anything half decent without people losing their **** instead of adapting 

The Nantex also offers a vague hope there with shenanigans

8 hours ago, svelok said:

Dear Vultures: I < 3 U

... but I wish you were able to win events 🤔

None Vultures to be found in the top cut of either system open this weekend. 

Denver had a 4-2 3x Vult, 1xB22, 1xInfil that lost its 4-1 game. I think on stream, not sure though. Didn't make the cut but came **** close.

They also looked very underrepresented at Denver.

6 hours ago, dsul413 said:

Denver had a 4-2 3x Vult, 1xB22, 1xInfil that lost its 4-1 game. I think on stream, not sure though. Didn't make the cut but came **** close.

A 2x Infiltrator made top 16 in Denver and in fact was 5th after 6 rounds of swiss.

7 hours ago, dsul413 said:

Do you have a link to this stream? 

9 hours ago, Goseki1 said:

Do you have a link to this stream? 

If the game was on stream (and I’m not sure, heard it might have been) then GoldSquadronPodcast will have it up this week I imagine. 

Posted (edited)

I have a few questions about my list:

SWAT TEAM

5X  -  (22) Separatist Drone [Vulture-class Droid Fighter]

(4) Energy-Shell Charges

(43) Wat Tambor [Belbullab-22 Starfighter]

(10) Kraken

(10) Soulless One

(6) Shield Upgrade

(1) Marksmanship

Total points: 200

1) How big of a deal is a 6th Vulture?  It would mean dropping Wat down to being almost naked, losing a ESC, and probably dropping an i3 down to i1 to make it happen?

2) Leaving the list as it is, would it be smart to target lock on the initial approach for the Vultures that have a Kracken Calculate token?  Or is the extra Calculate better?

3) I feel like Wat is good, and I know he's better than Grevious in this list, but should I be looking at Maul or Dooku with four ESC Vultures?

Thanks.

Edited by BlastyMcBlasterFace

7 minutes ago, BlastyMcBlasterFace said:

1) How big of a deal is a 6th Vulture?  It would mean dropping Wat down to being almost naked, losing a ESC, and probably dropping an i3 down to i1 to make it happen?

2) Leaving the list as it is, would it be smart to target lock on the initial approach for the Vultures that have a Kracken Calculate token?  Or is the extra Calculate better?

3) I feel like Wat is good, and I know he's better than Grevious in this list, but should I be looking at Maul or Dooku with four ESC Vultures?

1. It matters quite a bit... the secret is, it's not actually a 6th Vulture, it's a 5th Vulture, because at least one probably dies before it gets to shoot. Wat + Kraken + 6x ESC Trade Feds is a popular list as a result.
  2. That'll come down to the situation... the lock is probably better for offense, but each calc is one more calc you can spend on defense without losing a shot, and the Vultures with locks can just die and you get no benefit.
  3. Wat and Maul are both solid with a swarm. I don't know that there's a right answer, they have different matchup strengths.

16 minutes ago, svelok said:
  1. It matters quite a bit... the secret is, it's not actually a 6th Vulture, it's a 5th Vulture, because at least one probably dies before it gets to shoot. Wat + Kraken + 6x ESC Trade Feds is a popular list as a result.
  2. That'll come down to the situation... the lock is probably better for offense, but each calc is one more calc you can spend on defense without losing a shot, and the Vultures with locks can just die and you get no benefit.
  3. Wat and Maul are both solid with a swarm. I don't know that there's a right answer, they have different matchup strengths.

1. Hmmmm....  so i1 or i3?  Meta call?

2. So I think if there's no chance I'm killing what I'm shooting at I'll calc up for the extra D.

3. I'll go with Wat because maneuvering is a lot easier.

Posted (edited)
On 4/28/2019 at 5:13 PM, ficklegreendice said:

High I seems to be a consistent problem in this Ed with pilots apparently not paying enough for such a huge advantage

Bombs hitting before activation would help a lot there, but good luck getting anything half decent without people losing their **** instead of adapting 

The Nantex also offers a vague hope there with shenanigans

Honestly, yes. It is a serious problem. I want to field 3s since there are a lot of really fun I3 options? But uh.

I'd rather not get I-killed by literally every list out there. I think FFG is costing wrong. It's not the upgrades that should cost more as initiative goes up, but it's the initiative itself that should cost more.

I also do not necessarily believe this edition has been fair to anything non-small-based. They were spoiled like **** in 1st ed because most of them could shoot wherever the **** they wanted... but now they can't, and if you aren't taking agile gunner you're gonna' miss a lot of shots by rotating and sacrificing dice mods.

It's a high-I, small base game right now and... I don't like it. Half of my favorite faction is totally unusable.

EDIT: No, screw that. The only usable pilots in any serious capacity right now in The Resistance are Poe, Ello, Nien, Tallie, L'ulo, and Greer. The Resistance only has five pilots.

DESPITE HAVING LIKE ELEVENTY THOUSAND X-WING CARDS. I bought the conversion kit plus the four X-Wing kits, waste of money given how the faction's turned out, 80% of it being TOTALLY damned useless, and I cannot TELL you how MANY X-Wings I have, it's stupid, it's frakking stupid, how many cards I have. Holy CRAP. The OPTIONS.

All the options WE WILL NEVER USE.

BECAUSE IT'S HIGH-I OR GTFO.

UGH.

Edited by Captain Lackwit

Posted (edited)

Yup there is no way for two large based, lower initiative ships to be competitive and make top 16 cuts. Ever.

Edited by kkentium

2 minutes ago, Shadowshand said:

Thanks to this thread, I am now debating about getting into Separatists for an obvious opposing faction to my Republic faction. 

Issues with high I can (and should) simply be fixed with points hikes

It's funny that they did it with some ships (guri and rau SOAR above other pilots in point cost) but not enough 

Anyway, that's for the next points rebalance to sort out 

For now, I'm eager to see what the lovely little Hyena is going to bring. The shenanigans of the Sith infiltrator are already SORELY tempting, and these guys might push me over

Thematic as vultures are...yeah if my stupid TIEs can't survive...

9 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

Thematic as vultures are...yeah if my stupid TIEs can't survive...

Vultures are better because you have less of an illusion they will survive attacks and when they do it’s just a bonus