Captain Lackwit

Dear Separatists: I <3 U

3 hours ago, SpiderMana said:

My first thought was Sun Fac + Vult Flock, but a couple generic Ensnare-ers could help out ESCs better, almost?

You likely only need 1.  It's still something annoying that they have to focus on instead of the droids.  Also, even if their generics block you, you can still rotate, tractor and pass tractor, so still really dumb.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

Nope. An action can only be performed by a ship once per turn.

Dingdingding

Between this and already having access to probe droids, giving us easy TL + calculate already, Mr. I 5 bugman is looking an awful lot like Tomax Bren

Only time I can ever imagine giving half a crap about his ability is having strutted Hyenas with TL Ordnance.

Then, ASSUMING BUGMAN HITS, you may get a benefit 

Still way too many hoops, though. Dude had better be cheap, in which case you can at least leverage a high I ensnare even if ignoring his ability

Edited by ficklegreendice

I think Berwer Kret is going to end up like Blackout or Backdraft, you'll try to make him work for a while, but then give up and realize Kylo or Quickdraw is the way to go, or in this case, Sun Fac.

4 minutes ago, DXCrazytrain said:

I think Berwer Kret is going to end up like Blackout or Backdraft, you'll try to make him work for a while, but then give up and realize Kylo or Quickdraw is the way to go, or in this case, Sun Fac.

He'll have a chance to shine with future droid ships, I bet. All it takes is another action worth doing.

14 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

Then, ASSUMING BUGMAN HITS, you may get a benefit 

Still way too many hoops, though. Dude had better be cheap, in which case you can at least leverage a high I ensnare even if ignoring his ability

With I5 it's not like it will be that crazy to think he can get a Tractor Beam token onto someone.  Once that, it's not that bad to think he can get a hit on, especially if in main firing arc.

14 hours ago, DXCrazytrain said:

If you are going to fit in more than one Nantex in your list than you are going to go for this guy, even if it's just for the I5.   I think the higher Init will be worth it on these ships.

Also, in larger games, I think Berwer will be worth it.  I'm talking these Epic games that are coming out.   You can easily have enough friendlies with a TL that did not Calculate that round.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, heychadwick said:

With I5 it's not like it will be that crazy to think he can get a Tractor Beam token onto someone.  Once that, it's not that bad to think he can get a hit on, especially if in main firing arc.

So now we gotta get that range 0-1 Ensnare, hope you don't whiff a die roll which is exceptionally possible without rerolls, and then maybe we get some red calculate actions on a full moon Friday if Mr Hoops is feeling generous about it

Assuming ofc that he hits before the enemy attacks so either he or our calculate-less drones don't prematurely bite it

It's not a good ability. It's really Tomax Bren tier of "glorified I 5 generic"

Which is fine if the price is right, but I doubt you'd ever want to take him for his ability as much as just being an i5 Nantex 

Edited by ficklegreendice

1 hour ago, dsul413 said:

So, he’s Tallie - basically.

nobody takes Tallie for her ability, but she sees play. 

Tallie sees play because she has a "I'm sorry your pilot ability is useless" discount.  Tallie is not good, she's cheap, it's an important distinction.

6 hours ago, MasterShake2 said:

Tallie sees play because she has a "I'm sorry your pilot ability is useless" discount.  Tallie is not good, she's cheap, it's an important distinction.

That sounds like good for the cost, which is really how we evaluate pilots right?

Posted (edited)
On 8/13/2019 at 1:36 PM, theBitterFig said:

Low-initiative Locks aren't always too hard to accomplish, if you're not worrying about keeping an opponent at longer range.

I realize this is jumping back a bit, but I think this is a point worth repeating: If you don't mind being a little exposed for awhile, it's pretty easy, I'd say almost trivial, to approach like this:

Turn 2: All ships just outside R3, spread out in a line.

Turn 3: Slow-roll to lock, opponent's ships move afterwards and land at R1. Launch APTs

Turn 4: Proton Bomb the living daylights out of them!

This is kind of the basis of my current bomber-spam list. Seeing all the stuff that Hyenas are capable of has made me really want to use my (6) TIE bombers again, and I've been doing some practice runs of another bomber spam list that I'll be getting a game or two with tonight. Here's the list:

5x Scimitar Squadron Pilot, Proton Bombs, Advanced Proton Torpedoes.

That's a lot of crit-loaded dice at R1, even if it is single-modded, and if they successfully avoid all R1 shots, they're looking at 2-3 proton bombs the following turn. 5x 2-primary on 6 hull isn't all that bad on its own either. I think this little thing has some serious potential.

On that note, it's occurred to me that you can do something pretty similar with Hyenas, but better:

Techno Union Bomber (26)    
    Ion Torpedoes (6)    
    Proton Bombs (5)    
    Landing Struts (1)    

Techno Union Bomber (26)    
    Ion Torpedoes (6)    
    Proton Bombs (5)    
    Landing Struts (1)    

Techno Union Bomber (26)    
    Ion Torpedoes (6)    
    Proton Bombs (5)    
    Landing Struts (1)    

Techno Union Bomber (26)    
    Ion Torpedoes (6)    
    DRK-1 Probe Droids (5)    
    Landing Struts (1)    

Trade Federation Drone (19)    
    Energy-Shell Charges (5)    

Energy-Shell Charges (5)    

Total: 200    

The virtue in this is the 4 double-modded dice attack of the Ion Torpedoes. This is huge because either (a) you're hitting an un-hittable ace, or (b), your piling ions on so you can easily proton-bomb them next turn. Probes give you the lock so you can engage from R3 obstructed (for 4 defense dice) while denying obstruction and range bonus for the defender. I mean, realistically you won't all be set up that way, but the potential is there. And your ESC drones meanwhile have double-mods on their shot as well.

Some beef to it, but also a whole lot of power and control. AND the Ion torpedoes have 2 charges so they're crucially available after the initial engage if you need them, especially if you get lucky and don't have to burn the lock on the first shot.

Edited by ClassicalMoser

9 hours ago, svelok said:

CIS made two final tables and a top four at hyperspace trials this weekend: Grievous+ 5 ESC drones, and two Sear+7 lists.

Transition to "underrated" beginning?

Transition?  That's CIS' secret, they were always underrated ;)

2 hours ago, MasterShake2 said:

Transition?  That's CIS' secret, they were always underrated ;)

The hardware is beyond solid

The vast majority of its leaders, of which Nute Gunray is most infamous, are what makes it look incompetent.

Well that and the battledroids. They were never quite the same after they were given independent ai following the Naboo fiasco 

Well flew at Day 1A of the Euros with 7 ships Sep Swarm (2 Hyenas and 5 Vultures)  ended up 3:3 which placed me as 5th best separatist player at that day and (with top 16 players) 

- 1st game against TIE Swarm of 6 ships (Howlrunner, Hask, Iden, Wampa and 2 Academy) i lost it but it was becouse of bad dice... when i saw my opponent charging headlong into my swarm i just decided to joust him... lost 1 Vulture (and took some damage on two more) in the initial exchange (i expected that) and then the magic happend i lunched all my ordnance at his ships i missed Plasma Torp shoot and all the ESC despite having locks (i was firing at TIE's without Focus or Evades) only the last shoot hit his ship but he used Iden to cancel the damage. But it was Dimond Boron's so he took 2 crits and 3 hits into his ships... if i would inflict any damage before that i would have won... i tried to salvage something from the game and at the end i lost final Volture with his Wampa and 2 Academics sitting with one hull point left each (Iden, Husk and Howlrunner were splashed by me).

2nd game against Ray and 2 PS 5 A-Wings i won it losing a Volture and half of a Hyena... my opponent tried to outflank me with his A-wings keeping Ray back... i blasted the A wings with ease and then shoot Ray to death. 

3rd game Obi Wolfe and Ric Ole my opponent split his ships Ric coming from the left with Ani and Wolfe from the Right... he flew Ric into my swarm (i don't know what he tryed to achive) but i shoot Ric in one turn then forced Ani to fly into a killbox in the right bottom corner of the board (my deployment zone). After Ani evaporated after one turn of shooting my opponent lost hearth and allowed me to kill Wolfe with ease. 

4th game against Luke, Wedge and Corran... i lost this one but not becouse i flew poorly... on the 3rd turn my opponent flew Wedge into R3 from 3x Vultures and the Dimond Boron Hyena i had him locked and inflicted a whooping 0 damage to him with my ordnance... the rest of game was a furball with me trying to kill his aces... and it nearly worked i had a 2 - 3 R1 shoots at Corran or Luke on 1 HP... and he always evaded... i didn't think he had a single fumbled evade roll... so got half points for Luke and Corran but was left with a Hyena and 2 Vultures alive at the end. 

5th game I was so frustrated after loss in the 4th game i can't even remeber what list i flew against but it was against some one who didn't knew that charging headlong into the droid swarm was bad for your health  and payed the price i was able to table him with minimal losses

6th game against Scum list with Zuckuss Sol Sixta HWK 290 and Mining Tie... i justed him and rolled poorly... at the end he had HWK and Zuckuss lacking one damage to give me half points and i had Hyena and Vulture. 

Well despite negative experience with bad die rolls i had great fun playing the Seps now need to try some new builds :) 

On 8/16/2019 at 6:49 PM, ClassicalMoser said:

I realize this is jumping back a bit, but I think this is a point worth repeating: If you don't mind being a little exposed for awhile, it's pretty easy, I'd say almost trivial, to approach like this:

Turn 3: Slow-roll to lock, opponent's ships move afterwards and land at R1. Launch APTs

This is kind of the basis of my current bomber-spam list. Seeing all the stuff that Hyenas are capable of has made me really want to use my (6) TIE bombers again, and I've been doing some practice runs of another bomber spam list that I'll be getting a game or two with tonight. Here's the list:

5x Scimitar Squadron Pilot, Proton Bombs, Advanced Proton Torpedoes.

That's a lot of crit-loaded dice at R1, even if it is single-modded, and if they successfully avoid all R1 shots, they're looking at 2-3 proton bombs the following turn. 5x 2-primary on 6 hull isn't all that bad on its own either. I think this little thing has some serious potential.

On that note, it's occurred to me that you can do something pretty similar with Hyenas, but better:

Techno Union Bomber (26)    
    Ion Torpedoes (6)    
    Proton Bombs (5)    
    Landing Struts (1)    

Techno Union Bomber (26)    
    Ion Torpedoes (6)    
    Proton Bombs (5)    
    Landing Struts (1)    

Techno Union Bomber (26)    
    Ion Torpedoes (6)    
    Proton Bombs (5)    
    Landing Struts (1)    

Techno Union Bomber (26)    
    Ion Torpedoes (6)    
    DRK-1 Probe Droids (5)    
    Landing Struts (1)    

Energy-Shell Charges (5)    

Energy-Shell Charges (5)    

Total: 200    

The virtue in this is the 4 double-modded dice attack of the Ion Torpedoes. This is huge because either (a) you're hitting an un-hittable ace, or (b), your piling ions on so you can easily proton-bomb them next turn. Probes give you the lock so you can engage from R3 obstructed (for 4 defense dice) while denying obstruction and range bonus for the defender. I mean, realistically you won't all be set up that way, but the potential is there. And your ESC drones meanwhile have double-mods on their shot as well.

Some beef to it, but also a whole lot of power and control. AND the Ion torpedoes have 2 charges so they're crucially available after the initial engage if you need them, especially if you get lucky and don't have to burn the lock on the first shot.

How can you Proton Bomb some one when you drop the bomb before you execute a maneuver and Ion Torps are R 2-3 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Green Squadron 3 said:

How can you Proton Bomb some one when you drop the bomb before you execute a maneuver and Ion Torps are R 2-3 

Lol those were supposed to be APTs 😛

Actually that whole post is a mess because I kept going back and forth between the two. Eugh.

Edited by ClassicalMoser

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Green Squadron 3 said:

Well flew at Day 1A of the Euros with 7 ships Sep Swarm (2 Hyenas and 5 Vultures)  ended up 3:3 which placed me as 5th best separatist player at that day and (with top 16 players) 

I was also flying this list Day 1A with 3:3 result, but better MOV, so I ended 4th.

1. LOST. Against  Wedge + 2xB and U. I lost it, probably because of poor flying at the start of the game, but also I didn't kill a B with 6 shots and lost Vulture in the 1st round of shooting. I don't remember the score, but it wasn't that bad.

2. WIN. Against Ten, Braylen, Cassian, Y. I killed Braylen on the first round of shooting, then 2 turns later Ten. I lost like 2 Vultures during this game. 

3. WIN. Against Boba + Emon with bombs. Bombs are scary, but before Firesprays dropped them they vere halfed. I killed Boba and lost 2.5 Vultures.

4. LOST. Obi+Ric+Ani. I killed Obi fast, Ric and Ani regened twice each. I managed to kill Ric on the last turn, but my 2 Hyenas + Vulture costed 100 to his 99 Obi+Ric. Maybe I could have followed Ani last turn and did 2 damage to half him.

5. LOST. Resistance T-70s + Fin. Nothing special. Too many evades from my opponent and 4 hits from hand at the crucial moment, when I blocked his T-70. During the last turn Jessica needed 1 hit to be halfed and Bastian 2, but I did nothing. Also range 2 Fin did 3 damage to my 3 hp left Hyena killing it. It was TL+calculate Hyena with Plasma. So it was only half Fin and Temmin killed. I lost 2 Hyenas and 2 Vultures.

6. WIN. Hera with Saw+Jan Ors+U. I had blocked Hera and did 14/15 damage to her during the first turn of shooting, then Saw killed her. I lost 2 Vultures to Hera, and 1 more later, killing all of the enemy ships.

Edited by Boreas Mun

Posted (edited)

Yeach i was dissapointed ending on 5th place:( well but i had fun anyway... now since Hyperspace Trials begin soon decided to swap Plasma Torps for Ion Torps :)  This Allowed me to add Landing Struts on another Bomber :) 

Hyena-class Droid Bomber - ••Baktoid Prototype - 35
    ••Baktoid Prototype - Function over Form (28)
        •Diamond-Boron Missiles (6)
        Landing Struts (Closed) (1)

Hyena-class Droid Bomber - Techno Union Bomber - 38
    Techno Union Bomber - (26)
        Ion Torpedoes (6)
        •DRK-1 Probe Droids (5)

Vulture-class Droid Fighter - Trade Federation Drone - 25
    Trade Federation Drone - (19)
        Energy-Shell Charges (5)
        Grappling Struts (Closed) (1)

Energy-Shell Charges (5)

Energy-Shell Charges (5)

Energy-Shell Charges (5)

Energy-Shell Charges (5)

Total: 198/200

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

Edited by Green Squadron 3

Posted (edited)
On 8/16/2019 at 12:49 PM, ClassicalMoser said:

This makes me think of a strategy discovered by @Darkhorse659 years ago.  I used it to great affect. It was back in 1st Ed before there were any fixes to Ordnance and people didn't know what to do.  It was Jonus with 3 Scimitar Pilots.  All had bombs (was Seismic at the time, but Proton now) and various ordnance 

1) Guage the approach and get just out of R3.

2) Fly up as close as you can and TL.  Hope you bump.

3) Everyone drops Bombs and 5 K-turn behind to launch Ordnance.

I managed to kill a YT-2400 in a single turn.

You could do the same thing now with Proton Bombs and APTs and probably do better.  Maybe even get shots with the APTs.  The next round usually sees your opponent unable to avoid all those Proton Bombs and woe to anyone caught in range of all of them at once .

The approach is the hardest part.  Learn Rule of 11 and just find a friend to practice the approach again and again and again.  I practiced with one friend early and it was rough, but it taught me how to fly it.  I kept bumping into that friend again and he was always surprised at how well I was doing as he only recalled the failures. 

I would probably pick this:

Hyena-class Droid Bomber - •••Bombardment Drone - 44
    •••Bombardment Drone - Time on Target (32)
        Proton Bombs (5)
        •DRK-1 Probe Droids (5)
        Delayed Fuses (1)

Hyena-class Droid Bomber - Techno Union Bomber - 39
        Adv. Proton Torpedoes (6)
        Proton Bombs (5)
        Munitions Failsafe (1)

Proton Bombs (5)
        Munitions Failsafe (1)

Proton Bombs (5)
        Munitions Failsafe (1)

Proton Bombs (5)
        Munitions Failsafe (1)

Total: 200/200

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

I had 5 pts left at the end and gave them Munituons Failsafe and Delayed Fuses for the halibut.  If I had 1 point more, I would've gone for FCS on the Bombardment Drone.  Not really sold on Delayed Fuses, but don't really need a 1 pt bid, so used it.

EDIT:  Found the article:

http://miniwarroom.blogspot.com/2014/11/darkhorses-strange-love-or-how-i.html?m=1

Edited by heychadwick