Captain Lackwit

Dear Separatists: I <3 U

1 hour ago, Arkanta974 said:

<snip>
He may be Ps1 but he can do a perfect attack at range 1 twice if you let him.

<snip>

(emphasis mine)

Twice? how? (assuming you mean twice in a round)

7 hours ago, Green Knight said:

Then, in both games, he totally overperformed for his cost.

Same, my opponent land on asteroids with his Nym, both my Separatist Drone fire their Energy Shell Charge and did result. Autopilot is at range 1 with double calculate thanks to Kraken and kill Nym.

The ship can resist one attack but can punish quickly ! Now this pilot is always on my separatist squad ! :)

7 hours ago, Elkerlyc said:

(emphasis mine)

Twice? how? (assuming you mean twice in a round)

Not twice on the same round, sorry !

First time against A Nym who landed on Asteroids and shoot at range 1 (3 hits, 1 crit, use calculate) and kill it

Second against Kavil at range 1 (4 hits, use one calculate)

This ship help a lot my team, boost or barrel roll with calculate is a good linked action ! :)

Tried some proxying of Sun Fac + 3 of the i4 generic Nantex, all with Ensnare.

"Does that fit in 200 points?" - maybe? Probably? Who knows? It is a mystery. I assumed they had TIE Interceptor 40/40/40/52 prices, and Ensnare was 7 points.

But Nantex are ridiculously fun, it turns out.

Firing off Ensnare requires really careful management of your turret arc. You have to rotate the turret if you want to self-tractor, but you can't rotate to the zone its already in. And every time you want to reposition, you have to rotate it - so how you approach gets tricky. If you do a boost and rotate left, your opponent then knows that you cannot Ensnare out your left arc next turn. (Without chaining tokens, but that requires coordinating multiple moving parts.)

On the other hand, if you mess up - or get outplayed - and end outside range 1 to trigger Ensnare, you're just left sitting at -1 agi and sad. Nantex are reminiscent of Fangs, in that way. And it goes double if you've misjudged an angle or miscalled a dial, and rotated your turret to an arc where you don't have a shot, either, because you really needed to reposition.

On top of that, the turret arc is just 2 dice, so it only really hurts at range 1 vs a tractored target. If it's not range 1 or they're not rolling fewer dice, they're just plinking shots. But Nantex have the bonus of the 3 dice bullseye, which means you're constantly playing around bullseye arcs, on top of managing your turret indicator, and thinking through possible tractor moves for both your ships and your opponent's. The range 1 bullseye vs a tractored target punches hard, but requires careful dancing about to get off - at least, without jousting, but there's not much a bunch of Nantex can out-joust.

And often, you are making trade-offs. Remember that you can always assign a tractor and choose not to move something, but even so: do you throw this ship onto a rock, if it loses you a bullseye shot? What if there's not a rock, but it puts them in just a worse position, IE a board edge restricting their dial? Maybe you can tractor yourself forwards to dodge an arc, but it will force you to rotate your turret away, so you lose your shot too (you're not an RZ-2). You got off a block, so you can self-ensnare to move out of range 0, but their arc is pointed over there so it would leave that ship at -1 agi vs whatever shots are coming in. You're moving first, so all of your repositions involve a degree of risk - if you get caught in a bunch of arcs and can't pass off a token, that barrel roll can be 2-3 extra damage coming in.

tl;dr Nantex are really fun, wave 5 when?

I took 8 vultures to the UK team championship on Sunday  went 5-0 thanks to decent match ups and a slice of luck. 

Team championship rules are 3 different factions. Lowest team cost can either pick first match up (or pass it over), obviously whichever team picks second also picks the third match up. My team took 3 swarms lol (inferno squadron and 6 mining guild ties with an outer rim pioneer).

I played.

Rey, lulo and ello.

Anakin, mace and 2 torrents.

Poe, lulo, tallissan and an I1 a wing.

Anakin, mace and 2 torrents.

Fat Han and Jake (uk system open winning list).

Massed energy shell charges are awesome. The threat of them is really great, and i found them rather useful at hammering the Jedi (running Delta configs of course).

I enjoy flying maul (hate, Grevious and Dooku) and 5 ps1 vultures more, but I think 8 has a really good alpha strike threat.

I fly them in 2 blocks of 4, 2 ps1's followed by 2 ps3's. I usually deploy them close enough to support but with enough room to play about if im waiting for the enemy or to push hard if i dont :)

I legitimately cannot wait for Nantex and Hyenas to hit the field. Separatists are a lot of fun but I see a ton of variation from just adding those two; the base mechanics for the faction and what we are seeing for pilots/abilities for these two are all very fun and seem well designed. The variety will really help the faction sing.

Im really really looking forward to the Nantex. I love shenanigans, and having flown old para for a bit giving out tractor tokens is hilarious (though not for your opponent).

Absolutely the most fun faction to fly by far.

I have had decent tournament results but not fantastic 9th in a 41man so missed the cut but both my losses were extremely close games.

But really it's not that they are overpowered or anything that makes them great, it's just they are so **** fun to fly.

The Belbullab-22 is probably my favorite ship at the moment for some reason... just love the action bar on the thing combined with the 5 straight... the bad blues just make it a challenge to fly properly.

The Sith Infiltrator is the only large based ship I enjoy flying that dial is just so nice. And I personally have a lot more fun with fixed arc ships.

I have decided to step back and play some empire in the next casual tournament because all I am playing right now is the CIS and I need to justify my whole collection to myself. I have a feeling when the nantex comes it's going to be very hard not to only play as the separatists... that ship looks like it's going to be the apex of fun.

All hail the Confederacy of Independent Systems. let's hope this whole separating thing works out for us.

Posted (edited)

Gotta admit, I'm very annoyed that other factions can't steal the immensely hilarious probe droids

the interplay between networked calculations and kraken is also very interesting (though the other relays are...underwhelming)

in general, I gotta say that FFG hit it out of the park with the prequel ship designs (other than some weird point costs). Imo, BY FAR, their best work in X-wing yet

Edited by ficklegreendice

Finally, I've managed to test the faction. As others have said, they're hella fun to play! Also, ESC are really good and the more I had, the less ships the enemy had in the table after turn 2.

General Grievous with Outmaneuver is really nice while fkanking the enemy. Darth Maul is a monster and Dooku is frustrating to the enemy, hehe ;)

Can't wait for Hyenas!

Posted (edited)

jesus, I was just shown Buzz Droids. I had assumed the only "template droid" was the probe droid, but that's because I hadn't thought to look in the missile slot

it's...glorious

holy crap I NEED the hyena...

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

jesus, I was just shown Buzz Droids. I had assumed the only "template droid" was the probe droid, but that's because I hadn't thought to look in the missile slot

it's...glorious

holy crap I NEED the hyena...

Wow, you missed a few threads then. Clog up lanes with them or dump them directly onto the enemy. Both works. Primarily they muddle with the opposition's action economy and maneuver choices (Enemy ships are able to ditch them via a barrel roll regardless of which guides they're in or flying away if the buzz droids are in the rear guides) since ignoring them while they're in the front guides will start to get painful. :) Vulture Droids also can use them if you're willing to forgo ESC on one.

Edited by Hiemfire

Posted (edited)

Been gone a WHILE to get settled at a new job

Been monitoring prequel stuff with anticipation, but had obviously fixated on republic for....reasons

Had less than zero interest in CIS until I recently started browsing...oh man, ffg compensated for some meh fodder designs with some CRAZY gameplay shenanigans!

Plus the servants of strife paint scheme can make even vulture droids look badass

ironically, the most badass currently released ship (infiltrator) has the weakest paint scheme I've ever seen...

23 minutes ago, svelok said:

Kraken 👏 Buzz Droid 👏 Energy Shell 👏 Hyenas 👏

If my suspicions are correct (Hyenas are coming with a Tac Relay so probably have the slot), that'll all fit on one Hyena freeing up space for other ships.

REALLY hoping we're getting a bomber-esque upgrade slot bar, at least MISSILE MISSILE DEVICE (plus I guess system) just so we can pack all the awesome shenanigans into one convenient ship instead of spreading it across vultures and beebleboobles

5 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

REALLY hoping we're getting a bomber-esque upgrade slot bar, at least MISSILE MISSILE DEVICE (plus I guess system) just so we can pack all the awesome shenanigans into one convenient ship instead of spreading it across vultures and beebleboobles

Looking at the spread I'm thinking 2x Missile, Torp, 2x Device, Mod, Sensor and Tac Relay.

swz41_spread.png

3 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

Guess you could say the Hyena is laughing all the way to the bank 

Electro-Proton Bomb, Bomblet Generator, what looks to be Diamond Boron missiles (hoping it is just assault missiles 2.0, DBMs are going to be brutal as **** if they work like they did in Legends and EaW), Able to equip both remotes on one ship... Ya, I'm trying to figure out how to free up the funds to dive in myself. :)

Yes pls to Hyenas w/ tac slot.

I'm not gonna be shocked if they don’t have it and the expac just has it because  they need somewhere to put the new Tac Relay?

But I really want to be able to run all-droid swarms w/Tac Relays.

22 minutes ago, SpiderMana said:

Yes pls to Hyenas w/ tac slot.

I'm not gonna be shocked if they don’t have it and the expac just has it because  they need somewhere to put the new Tac Relay?

But I really want to be able to run all-droid swarms w/Tac Relays.

If they don't the I1 Belbullab does and is a droid of sorts.

49 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

If they don't the I1 Belbullab does and is a droid of sorts.

Yeaaah I know. I built a list w/a couple of those before I got my 7th Vulture, but I never ended up flying it.

All Vulture/Hyena droids, to be more specific 😜 Which make no mistake, I’ll try regardless of Tac slot.

...3 Hyenas and 4 Vultures to start, maybe? More likely 2/5 or 2/6 considering I have to spend actual money to fly Hyenas and that I am lacking atm.