Sign in to follow this  
lsy03

Please develop online play!

I want to play KeyForge whenever I am free. I want to play KeyForge 10+ times a day. I want to play KeyForge at odd hours, right before I go to bed, and right after I wake up. Organized (face-to-face) play itself can never satisfy me.

I want to play KeyForge against decks of similar strengths. I want to play KeyForge against players of similar skill levels. This is best done with online match-making/ranking system. You don't even need chains.

Yes, Hearthstone, Pokemon TCG, Magic, etc. have successful online plays. But I do not want to play those games. I want to play KeyForge.

I am willing to help in whatever way I can. I know KeyForge will be 100x more successful with online play.

And I am not alone.

Yeah, the Crucible is a thing, though official online play would be an improvement, especially if it's cross-platform with a mobile app. Honestly, what I'd want more than online play is offline with an AI. I'd just like to be able to pause play without inconveniencing my opponent.

5 hours ago, blinkingline said:

You DO know about The Crucible Online, right?  It's not official FFG, but it would probably scratch that itch. 

Yes, it is what’s keeping me sane these days.

Other than the obvious UI shortcomings, I really miss proper matchmaking. Having more competitive matches goes a long way of making the experience fun. And I am not forced to play my best decks or get pwned.

I keep hoping they make an app that will only allows us to use the decks we registered. Bonus points if we can also play against a computer using a deck we select or a random deck with filters.

I love this game but stopped buying it simply because I rarely get to play it. Most of my decks have never been used. No point in spending money on a game that rarely gets played. This is mostly due to living in a small town with no gamers. Nearest hobby shop is a 60 mile drive and they focus on Magic and HeroClix.

22 minutes ago, TechnoGolem said:

I keep hoping they make an app that will only allows us to use the decks we registered. Bonus points if we can also play against a computer using a deck we select or a random deck with filters.

I love this game but stopped buying it simply because I rarely get to play it. Most of my decks have never been used. No point in spending money on a game that rarely gets played. This is mostly due to living in a small town with no gamers. Nearest hobby shop is a 60 mile drive and they focus on Magic and HeroClix.

Ouch yeah the lack of organized play would kill it for most people I think. Hopefully we’ll see some digital support given all the cards are present on the app and crucible is big enough the devs should be aware of its popularity as it would give those like yourself reason to keep investing in the game.

On 4/5/2019 at 4:05 AM, lsy03 said:

I want to play KeyForge whenever I am free. I want to play KeyForge 10+ times a day. I want to play KeyForge at odd hours, right before I go to bed, and right after I wake up. Organized (face-to-face) play itself can never satisfy me.

This is called an addiction, you should consider seeking help.

(and I’m only half joking)

On 4/4/2019 at 10:05 PM, lsy03 said:

I want to play KeyForge against decks of similar strengths. I want to play KeyForge against players of similar skill levels. This is best done with online match-making/ranking system. You don't even need chains.

Yes, Hearthstone, Pokemon TCG, Magic, etc. have successful online plays. But I do not want to play those games. I want to play KeyForge.

I am willing to help in whatever way I can. I know KeyForge will be 100x more successful with online play.

And I am not alone.

You're not alone, but you're also not necessarily in the overwhelming majority.  Almost everyone I play with (quite a few people) play Keyforge as a "filler game" to fill in the gaps in between other games.  Waiting for that next round of Star Wars Legion to start?  How about a quick game of Keyforge.  Joe promised you a game of 40k but is running late?  Anyone want a quick game of Keyforge?  We also hold events in our FLGS specifically to build community.

Online play doesn't build local community.  That alone is a dealbreaker for me.  I have limited time to game and I'm only interested in gaming that encourages MORE gaming in the future with actual humans.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, KrisWall said:

You're not alone, but you're also not necessarily in the overwhelming majority.  Almost everyone I play with (quite a few people) play Keyforge as a "filler game" to fill in the gaps in between other games.  Waiting for that next round of Star Wars Legion to start?  How about a quick game of Keyforge.  Joe promised you a game of 40k but is running late?  Anyone want a quick game of Keyforge?  We also hold events in our FLGS specifically to build community.

Online play doesn't build local community.  That alone is a dealbreaker for me.  I have limited time to game and I'm only interested in gaming that encourages MORE gaming in the future with actual humans.

I dont know the casual scene doesn’t seem nearly as popular as the competitive (where I am at least). Chainbound is what gets our stores active and that is only done in person so online play wouldn’t harm that aspect. For those that play near me crucible for example is just used to test out decks so we know what to bring to Chainbound turnoments.

Edited by TwitchyBait

On 4/5/2019 at 11:20 PM, TechnoGolem said:

So this brings up a question I was talking with a friend over.

When FFG gets the "official" KF online going (and if they're smart, they'll hire whoever runs the crucible), which would you prefer?

1. Just like it is now? Your registered decks are the ones you get to play with, no more, no less?
  2. An "online only" environment? After all, with the sheer number of decks that FFG said they could make, the physical produce should NEVER reach those numbers in a single set (I mean it would be nice for it to be that popular, but I doubt we have enough trees).  So what if the decks in the app were additional iterations that hadn't been printed? The app says "769,069" decks found, what if the online game was 800,000 more decks? Or 1.6 million? Should be even easier to build them digitally than physically. (though I would hope the digital decks cost less than the physical ones)

Or even some kind of combination of these.

What would be your vote/thoughts?

42 minutes ago, TwitchyBait said:

I dot know the casual scene doesn’t seem nearly as popular as the competitive (where I am at least) Chainbound is what gets our stores active and that is only done in person so online play wouldn’t harm that aspect. For those that play near me crucible for exmample is just used to test out decks so we know what to bring to Chainbound tornoments.

Sure.  Makes sense.  I think it depends on what you're looking for.  My store also does chainbound events, but they're not very competitive.  We generally run chainbound sealed events specifically to keep them casual.  I'd probably stop playing if the chainbound events went fully archon.  I'm just not interesting in competitive play.  I quit playing MtG decades ago when netdecking became a thing.  I quit playing Destiny when the scene turned hypercompetitive.  I'll likely quit Keyforge if it loses it's casual element.  The best thing about Keyforge right now is how resistant it is to a traditional competitive meta.

2 minutes ago, Simplegarak said:

So this brings up a question I was talking with a friend over.

When FFG gets the "official" KF online going (and if they're smart, they'll hire whoever runs the crucible), which would you prefer?

1. Just like it is now? Your registered decks are the ones you get to play with, no more, no less?
  2. An "online only" environment? After all, with the sheer number of decks that FFG said they could make, the physical produce should NEVER reach those numbers in a single set (I mean it would be nice for it to be that popular, but I doubt we have enough trees).  So what if the decks in the app were additional iterations that hadn't been printed? The app says "769,069" decks found, what if the online game was 800,000 more decks? Or 1.6 million? Should be even easier to build them digitally than physically. (though I would hope the digital decks cost less than the physical ones)

Or even some kind of combination of these.

What would be your vote/thoughts?

I'd prefer a system where you have to scan your identity card before each game.  That's the only way I can see that you could prove you own the deck.  More or less the same method as joining a physical chainbound event.

2 hours ago, Simplegarak said:

Being able to play online with the physical decks you own is a must.

Some of my thoughts:

FFG may consider selling digital-only decks  (and may be have them printed and shipped for a fee in the future).

They can charge a small fee (e.g. like $1) for ownership change.

There can be a few non-unique starter decks that people can play for free. Otherwise, you will have to buy at least 1 deck (physical or digital-only) a month to play online.

2 hours ago, KrisWall said:

Sure.  Makes sense.  I think it depends on what you're looking for.  My store also does chainbound events, but they're not very competitive.  We generally run chainbound sealed events specifically to keep them casual.  I'd probably stop playing if the chainbound events went fully archon.  I'm just not interesting in competitive play.  I quit playing MtG decades ago when netdecking became a thing.  I quit playing Destiny when the scene turned hypercompetitive.  I'll likely quit Keyforge if it loses it's casual element.  The best thing about Keyforge right now is how resistant it is to a traditional competitive meta.

How would you define "competitive"?

For me, chain bound events are pretty competitive, because there are so few of them, and there is something at stake (e.g. prizes, getting chains, and increasing power level). And that's negatively impacting my experience. When I make a mistake, I feel bad because I am not sure when I will get the chance to "prove myself" again.

I feel that playing online have the advantages of both competitive and causal without the drawbacks. Assuming decks of similar strengths are getting matched, each game should be fairly competitive. I don't have to worry too much about making mistakes and/or losing because I can just play another game right after. And I don't have to play my best decks. If I play a bad deck, hopefully, I will get matched with another bad deck, and still have fun playing a close game.

2 hours ago, KrisWall said:

We rotate sealed, archon mostly and occasionally other formats. The thing is even with Archon it’s still way different than other TCGs competitive scene. I mean you for one can’t truly net deck since no two decks are the same, the best you can do is try and get a deck that has similar popular cards but the chains from Chainbound mean you’ll likely not see that deck appear at more than a few events and if it comes to more it’ll either be so chained as to be weak or never really that strong to begin with. This keeps the game fresh even at the competitive level because decks that dominate only do so for a short time do to chains and there’s really no reliable way of copying them as the best you can do is pay a ton for something close online and even then it’d equally get chained up. If anything casual play is going to see more powerful decks stay played repeatedly and copied as they’re not accumulating chains when they win in that kind of play.

5 hours ago, Palpster said:

This is called an addiction, you should consider seeking help.

(and I’m only half joking)

I was exaggerating, of course. Although I do seriously want to play a lot more.

Keyforge should be played in person.

I would not support any online playing, even more I am against it.

As there is already that Crucible, I would not like to see FFG waste any resources for online play at the current point.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, player3398299 said:

Keyforge should be played in person.

I would not support any online playing, even more I am against it.

As there is already that Crucible, I would not like to see FFG waste any resources for online play at the current point.

You know, I like playing the game in person and I prefer it that way too, but let other people play how they want. It's not going to hurt us any. I think official online play is a possibility, and while I wouldn't want them to, even if they did do something like "digital decks" that are online only I'd just speak with my wallet and pass.

I just know many people didn't have the game take off in their area - I can play it on my break at work with a co-worker and if I show up at my FLGS and throw out an offer to play a quick game I can get one easily. For those that don't have that luxury, online play is a nice option I think.

Edited by TheSpitfired
cut the fluff

4 hours ago, TheSpitfired said:

You know, I like playing the game in person and I prefer it that way too, but let other people play how they want. It's not going to hurt us any. I think official online play is a possibility, and while I wouldn't want them to, even if they did do something like "digital decks" that are online only I'd just speak with my wallet and pass.

I just know many people didn't have the game take off in their area - I can play it on my break at work with a co-worker and if I show up at my FLGS and throw out an offer to play a quick game I can get one easily. For those that don't have that luxury, online play is a nice option I think.

Completely agree.  Having online play should do nothing but increase the games popularity.

I also wouldn't support online only decks, but if FFG feels that's for the best more power to them.

I prefer online play. I played with my son a few days ago and it was really hard to keep track of all the interactions. 

"Oh right, the first creature should have come into play ready" 

"Wait, did I pay you Aember, when I used my artifact?" 

"Oh, I just realized, you couldn't forge last turn because of my murmook."

Those things don't happen in online play. 

4 hours ago, Ancient Silverback said:

I prefer online play. I played with my son a few days ago and it was really hard to keep track of all the interactions. 

"Oh right, the first creature should have come into play ready" 

"Wait, did I pay you Aember, when I used my artifact?" 

"Oh, I just realized, you couldn't forge last turn because of my murmook."

Those things don't happen in online play. 

The more you play the less those issues come up. Plus the value of being a good dad and spending time playing a game with your son vastly outweighs the cost of a few missed interactions. ;) Keep up the good work!