eliteone

Poll: Would you rather have Clone Wars or FO/Resistance?

Realistically, the in universe reasoning for the size of the newer ships makes sense to me. The FO controls a lose collection of planets... but also needs a place to house their military while on campaign, and invading worlds means a lot of infantry. The Supremacy is massive because its also a shipyard that can build and repair ISDs and RSDs. The crew for those would need to off load during repairs as well.

So the size is a combo of, fewer worlds to occupy and house troops thus needing to keep them somewhere (on the RSDs).

Name one iconic ST ship...

...oh wait there are none.

A scum faction has a lot of potential in my opinion, but as I’ve said before I would want them to only have 0-1 large ships and 0-2 medium ships.  I want to see a unique pirate fleet, not just a third theme.

I wouldn’t buy clone wars, but I think it’s a safe bet, as clearly there are a lot of fans of the idea.

6 minutes ago, Darth Sanguis said:

Old republic factions would be a lot of fun. I'd love to field the Sith Empire. 

At least there's Shapeways prints to cover that, as I don't see it being very high up the list of official models we're likely to get.

2 minutes ago, Akhrin said:

At least there's Shapeways prints to cover that, as I don't see it being very high up the list of official models we're likely to get.

true enough, still without titles and officers it's just not the same lol definitely not gonna happen. SWTOR is basically nothing but a cash grab these days.... 

Posted (edited)

Clone Wars by a country mile.  I love the ST and really dislike the PT (but I’ve been itching to give the prequels another try), but one thing the prequels have hands down is ship design and variety.  If we don’t have a fleet engagement in Ep IX, we are left with 3 capital ships for the First Order, the smallest of which is significantly bigger than an ISD, and the Resistance has 4 ships, and while the Ninka has a really interesting design, there doesn’t seem like a whole lot there, and the main ship is (again) freaking huge.

Clone Wars, meanwhile, has a ton more variety, allows FFG to do repaints of several ships (Pelta, Arquitens, CR-90, Hammerheads), maybe redesign a couple (like make a Pelta with closing engine coverings), and release new ships as well.

Ultimately, I would love to see all 4 added eventually, but Clone Wars gives more variety without being potentially burned by Episode 9 if more ships aren’t featured.

Plus, I REALLY want a Venator.

Edited by FatherTurin

1 hour ago, Kani Kantai said:

A scum faction has a lot of potential in my opinion, but as I’ve said before I would want them to only have 0-1 large ships and 0-2 medium ships.  I want to see a unique pirate fleet, not just a third theme.

I wouldn’t buy clone wars, but I think it’s a safe bet, as clearly there are a lot of fans of the idea.

Name an iconic scum capital ship? One unique to them that would not simply be a captured variant of an existing design. 

I’m all for a scum faction if I can’t get Clone Wars material. Scum would/should play very uniquely. But, FFG would have to make a lot of material up out of thin air to flesh out a scum faction. 

That or they buck the mouse and sift through the dumpster fire of Legends content to find the 2-3 good ideas. 

1 hour ago, FatherTurin said:

Clone Wars by a country mile.  I love the ST and really dislike the PT (but I’ve been itching to give the prequels another try)

The way me and the wife have agreed upon watching the series with my daughter when she is old enough to understand, is:

Ep2 > Clone Wars in recommended order > Ep3 > Rebels > Rogue One > 4-6 > 7-9

And the reason we are skipping 1 is because its got a lot more political undertones that are hard to understand for a younger audience. Like, the movie starts with potential trade negotiations, blockades, ect. And thats boring. Dont get me wrong, 1 has some good scenes, but a lot of it goes over heads.

Still, the Tragedy of Anakin Skywalker is semi-vital to understanding 4-9 right now. And to get those plot points you need to watch 2,CW,&3.

13 minutes ago, Ling27 said:

The way me and the wife have agreed upon watching the series with my daughter when she is old enough to understand, is:

And the reason we are skipping 1 is because its got a lot more political undertones that are hard to understand for a younger audience. Like, the movie starts with potential trade negotiations, blockades, ect. And thats boring. Dont get me wrong, 1 has some good scenes, but a lot of it goes over heads.

Still, the Tragedy of Anakin Skywalker is semi-vital to understanding 4-9 right now. And to get those plot points you need to watch 2,CW,&3.

I get that, and the order looks great, but I feel like machete order is better to preserve the ending of Empire.

Clone Wars and Rebels after the core movies, I think, but one thing I know is that Rogue One is going to come much later.  It’s a valuable story, but it is much darker and for a more mature audience than most of the other films.

22 minutes ago, FatherTurin said:

I get that, and the order looks great, but I feel like machete order is better to preserve the ending of Empire.

Very true. I think its one of those things where because there are multiple ways to watch the movies it creates interesting dynamics.

32 minutes ago, Ling27 said:

Very true. I think its one of those things where because there are multiple ways to watch the movies it creates interesting dynamics.

I get that Vader’s line to Luke in Empire is all dramatic, but I wonder if the focus  that is a mistake for the machete order. 

Though to be fair, I’d drop episode 2 and just start at TCW TV show. I’m not sure that episode 2 actually contributes meaningfully to the plot if you already skip episode 1. Skip the teen years of whiny Anakin and just start with a character who’s the definition of a hero for most of the show. 

8 hours ago, Church14 said:

Name an iconic scum capital ship? One unique to them that would not simply be a captured variant of an existing design. 

I’m all for a scum faction if I can’t get Clone Wars material. Scum would/should play very uniquely. But, FFG would have to make a lot of material up out of thin air to flesh out a scum faction. 

That or they buck the mouse and sift through the dumpster fire of Legends content to find the 2-3 good ideas. 

That would be 2-3 more good ideas than they’d have from the ST.

Whats all this nonsense about “thin air?”

How about the Keldabe Battleship?  That’s unique to them, and iconic to anyone who played Empire at War.  You know, the same game that brought us the Assault Frigate Mark 2...from wave 1 of Armada.  That game had an entire scum faction, including a huge ship (albeit a stolen imperial one).

Hardly “thin air”.

12 minutes ago, Kani Kantai said:

How about the Keldabe Battleship?  That’s unique to them, and iconic to anyone who played Empire at War.  You know, the same game that brought us the Assault Frigate Mark 2...from wave 1 of Armada.  That game had an entire scum faction, including a huge ship (albeit a stolen imperial one).

Hardly “thin air”.

We haven't had EU ships since wave 2, though.  Disney has been moving pretty strongly away from non-canon releases.

12 hours ago, Ling27 said:

As a father who recently got to share Star Wars movies with my son, I ask you consider starting with the OT.
Seriously, those moments like when Luke finds out Vader is his father, and when Luke discovers Leia is his sister impact a lot, they gave him a sense of wonder and seeing the realisation on his face in ESB was so worth it, he got to experience it just like I did.

If you start with the prequel stuff, it ruins all that suspense and surprise and it lacks the same impact.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Kani Kantai said:

That would be 2-3 more good ideas than they’d have from the ST.

Whats all this nonsense about “thin air?”

Hardly “thin air”.

Eh. I should have said canon early in my post. The comment at the end wasn’t enough. The mouse seems to want FFG to embrace canon first and only.

In canon, scum basically has stolen vessels and fighters. No real capital ships unique to them so far at least. So without legends, FFG would need to make up most of the scum capital ships. While they nailed it with the Raider, In not sure they can nail it for an entire faction worth of ships.

So you are forced to make stuff up or buck the mouse and dig into legends for material. There are certainly some gems and maybe whatever the Keldabe is is one of them. The AFmk2 was not one of those gems. 

In in terms of marketing, canon designs are much better. A lot of the Armada community had never heard of an AFmk2 before Armada. ****, I had to look up the Keldabe because I had never heard of it. 

EDIT: Scum would have one large ship design about the size of an ISD. Dr Cylo has turned a few of the space whales (exogarths?) into floating bases that can fight and move. 

Edited by Church14

3 minutes ago, Church14 said:

In in terms of marketing, canon designs are much better. A lot of the Armada community had never heard of an AFmk2 before Armada. ****, I had to look up the Keldabe because I had never heard of it. 

I think you are mistaking Armada Star Wars fans with movie/toy buying Star Wars fans.  The two overlap but aren’t the same.

I can’t name a single original ship from the ST canon.  Nor do I want to pay £30-60 for a series of barely designed angry black triangles.

I think you are mistaking Armada Star Wars fans with movie/toy buying Star Wars fans.  The two overlap but aren’t the same

Hm. I don’t think there is much of a distinction. I certainly don’t think we should market to just one.

If you want FFG to make enough money on Armada to keep making it, you’ll need to find ways to bring in casual Star Wars fans and newer Star Wars fans. Resurrecting a ship from a 13 year old game that will (probably) never be recanonized isn’t appealing to the largest crowd. Bringing the Keldabe In is knowingly limiting your target audience.

Honestly, the AFmk2 was a terrible choice for wave 1 and I don’t know why they didn’t pick nearly anything else.

I can’t name a single original ship from the ST canon.  Nor do I want to pay £30-60 for a series of barely designed angry black triangles.

Instead we worship the barely designed angry white triangles. Your dislike of ST is fine and good. To each their own. I don’t want ST for Armada because of the lack of canon material. The exact same problem with scum. 

The only viable factions to add are CIS/GAR. Nothing else has enough canon material and the brand recognition. 

Honestly, there are very few ships, (Canon, Legends or fan created), that I don't want scaled for Armada. Organized tournament play is great, and helps maintain a community, but it barely scratches the surface of the game's potential. 

The more play options FFG creates, the easier it is to stat 3rd party/fan created ships/squadrons/upgrades to fit into the system.

On 4/9/2019 at 6:33 AM, Kani Kantai said:

The Resurgent. I fell in love with the design the first times I laid eyes on it. I'd have that ship over anything out of the Clone Wars ever in a heartbeat.

I also think some of the other designs, like the Resistance Bomber and the Nebulon-C, bring interesting shapes to Star Wars without branching too far out of the aesthetic. The ship design of the whole era is iconic IMO.

19 hours ago, Kani Kantai said:

Tyber Zahn's faction struck me as a band of mary-sues. A personal student of Jabba the hut gives up the Emperor's super secret Eclipse he stole because he felt like it? Sounds like it comes from the goofiest excesses of Legends, honestly.

Precedent with X-Wing makes me want to avoid scum.

5 hours ago, Kani Kantai said:

I don't think the prequel ships are remarkable, and you're asking us to pay money for them.

6 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

Always a good reminder:

SCUM (PIRATES), IN CANON, HAVE A FREAKIN' SUPER STAR DESTROYER

Liberty's Misrule.   

Formerly known as the Annihilator.

Crew concerns are apparently off the Table ;)

Well, maybe all the other pirates heard about it and flocked to join in on the fun (who wouldn't want to fly around in a SSD raiding shipping convoys lol).

Or maybe they made/bought/stole a droid factory that could make droids to handle most of the tasks (maybe not well).

Or they discovered some old abandoned cloning tech.

4 hours ago, Norsehound said:

I don't think the prequel ships are remarkable, and you're asking us to pay money for them.

This, honestly. The only CW-era ships that immediately stick out in my mind are the Venator and the donut-ships that the Trade Federation fly.

At this point, the ST-era has more room for expansion and is more likely to see new ships.

Posted (edited)
On 4/5/2019 at 1:21 PM, eliteone said:

I'm pretty confident in saying FFG has been working on Clone Wars factions for Armada. Taking a look at their releases for Armada, other tabletop games, and fan requests...it's going to be Clone Wars. I'd be they're already testing the ships out, and like many have said are not yet ready to announce. I think we could see one more wave with the GCW before the CW announcement. 

Looking at:

SSD - fan requested, planned two (three?) years ago. 

Increased Armada news / information - fan requested (pleaded?) FFG started to become more transparent. 

Flotilla / Relay nerf - fan requested (hit too hard?) and now established table/limit rule.

Official large & small format rules - fan requested

all this evidence plus the play testers leaking that they are play testing new ships, and the FFG statement that they're not ready to discuss the new ships AND the final piece of information: 12 new episodes of Clone Wars announced in 2018, probably airing sometime late this year. Everything points to Clone Wars. This poll was really to see where the Armada fan base fell... and I can now guarantee we will have Clone Wars factions in Armada, announced right around the time we get to new episodes. 

Just don't ask me when actually product arrives. 

If I only the stock market was this easy to guarantee. 

Edited by eliteone