eliteone

Poll: Would you rather have Clone Wars or FO/Resistance?

1 hour ago, axe238 said:

As a part of the small minority that believes George Lucas's sequel trilogy instead of Mickey's, I'll have to vote CW. (A "thank you" to Timothy Zahn for the AUTHORIZED ending of the Star Wars saga.)

Mickey's as in the MCRN?

Or Disney?

1 hour ago, MasterThrawn said:

Definitely Clone Wars and Scum factions because the scale of the sequel ships is totally huge and they won't fit in the game. Plus, Freaking Donuts!

If they can fit the SSD in the game, the First Order ships we've seen so far (apart from Supremacy) should fit easily.

1 hour ago, MasterThrawn said:

Definitely Clone Wars and Scum factions because the scale of the sequel ships is totally huge and they won't fit in the game. Plus, Freaking Donuts!

You don’t want sequel because the ships are too big and then say you’re excited for a 2.5km diameter ring of a vessel? Part of a faction with the Providence dreadnought that was 2.2 km long? I get that the sequel ships are even bigger, but Clone wars has plenty of vessels that would be much larger than all existing non-SSD models  

Im all for clone wars though because of the huge amount of material. 

10 minutes ago, MasterThrawn said:

Yeah, I guess that is self-contradictory but I really don't want a game where the meta is dominated by all huge ships and Clone wars isn't nearly as bad 

pic4248962.jpg

FO/Res ships are not much bigger than the CW Lucrehulk. If that's coming to Armada because Clone Wars!, the FO/Res ships should have no problem fitting in as well.

3 minutes ago, Norsehound said:

pic4248962.jpg

FO/Res ships are not much bigger than the CW Lucrehulk. If that's coming to Armada because Clone Wars!, the FO/Res ships should have no problem fitting in as well.

I think the more likely issue in that instance isn't "Can it work", its more, "can it work if that's ALL they really have..."

I'd hate to consider a First-Order faction where, basically, my only choice of Large Capital Ship was...  a Huge $150 monster.

1 minute ago, Drasnighta said:

I think the more likely issue in that instance isn't "Can it work", its more, "can it work if that's ALL they really have..."

I'd hate to consider a First-Order faction where, basically, my only choice of Large Capital Ship was...  a Huge $150 monster.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I met

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

While the Mandator IV will likely have the same problems the SSD will have on the table, would taking a Resurgent in a list much different from typical Imperial lists running single ISDs now?

The Resistance at least has three new small ships to pull from in addition to a large ship with the Raddus. In fact I think the ratio of ships compared to where we are in the original trilogy is similar... FO has three by installment 2 compared to the Empire's 2 (ISD/SSD). Resistance has 4 compared to the Rebellion's three (CR-90s, Nebulon-B, GR-75). If those counts are good enough to build a game out of for the core factions, why can't it be for the Resistance/First Order?

Edited by Norsehound

At a certain point, honestly who cares about scale on some chart?  I'm happy to pretend new ships are all roughly appropriately sized if the rules for them fit the game well.

I've never seen a Mandator next to an ISD so... I'm fine with it being the same size.

My issue with the Mandator IV has never been the size, but how it would function.  According to its Wookiepedia page, its armament consists of two orbital cannons, 26 point-defense anti-aircraft cannons, and six tractor beam projectors.  So apart from having a great anti-squadron armament and at least an offensive retrofit, how would the orbital cannons work?  Their dice compliment (of probably a lot of red dice) would likely be higher than anything seen in the game so far and a recharge mechanic would have to be something new.  Add in the possibility that each cannon could fire at a different target that is not restricted by firing arcs.   Just at first glance, it seems a little difficult to introduce unless the ship's purpose is adjusted from what we saw on screen.

6 minutes ago, Admiral Calkins said:

My issue with the Mandator IV has never been the size, but how it would function.  According to its Wookiepedia page, its armament consists of two orbital cannons, 26 point-defense anti-aircraft cannons, and six tractor beam projectors.  So apart from having a great anti-squadron armament and at least an offensive retrofit, how would the orbital cannons work?  Their dice compliment (of probably a lot of red dice) would likely be higher than anything seen in the game so far and a recharge mechanic would have to be something new.  Add in the possibility that each cannon could fire at a different target that is not restricted by firing arcs.   Just at first glance, it seems a little difficult to introduce unless the ship's purpose is adjusted from what we saw on screen.

In general we no very little about the Orbital autocannon. It might be a pure siege weapon that is to slow and inaccurate to even hit moving targets like space ships.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Admiral Calkins said:

I’m pretty sure the only original trilogy on-screen strategies used by a lot of the rebel fleets were:

-CR90 - get caught. Became a fast light ship with okay firepower. 

-Nebulon - Act as a medical frigate and TRADE BROADSIDES WITH AN ISD. Became a front arc only ship for combat and a bizarre squadron pusher. 

-Hone One - command the fleet. Barring that fleet command slots didn’t exist early game, this one seems actually accurate  

-Liberty: dies to superlazer. Implemented as a front arc fighter not quite up to ISD standard. 

-GR75 - runs around not doing ****. Implemented as pocket carrier and electronic warfare menace. 

Not jiving with the onscreen performance is pretty much SOP for Armada if you wanna dig. All the performance of the original trilogy ships is from legends feats and really not from on screen. Newer stuff from CW or Rebels actually hives pretty well with onscreen performance. 

Edited by Church14

7 minutes ago, Church14 said:

I’m pretty sure the only original trilogy on-screen strategies used by a lot of the rebel fleets were:

-CR90 - get caught. Became a fast light ship with okay firepower. 

-Nebulon - Act as a medical frigate and TRADE BROADSIDES WITH AN ISD. Became a front arc only ship for combat and a bizarre squadron pusher. 

-Hone One - command the fleet. Barring that fleet command slots didn’t exist early game, this one seems actually accurate  

-Liberty: dies to superlazer. Implemented as a front arc fighter not quite up to ISD standard. 

-GR75 - runs around not doing ****. Implemented as pocket carrier and electronic warfare menace. 

Not jiving with the onscreen performance is pretty much SOP for Armada if you wanna dig. All the performance of the original trilogy ships is from legends feats and really not from on screen. Newer stuff from CW or Rebels actually hives pretty well with onscreen performance. 

The problem is that we see exactly what the Mandator IV does on screen.  With all the ships that you mentioned, nothing about how they play in Armada flat-out ignores what they did on-screen.  Taking away the Orbital Cannons from the Mandator IV would do exactly that.  Which is why I brought up the issue of "how would they work in Armada" as opposed to "it can never be in the game because..."

Watching the Recent movies (once each - reasons) it never occurred to me that the FO pointy ship was bigger than an ISD. I just thought it was an ISD.

Is the bigger scale mentioned explicitly in the movie? Or is it a footnote in a novel? Or in another source?

Surely the solution is just for Jar Jar Abrams (or other authority figure) to say “it’s just a slightly longer ISD” or even “it’s a slightly shorter ISD” because seriously how can you tell from the movie?

Why not just say that the big wing thing that random bad guy Snoke flies around in is “roughly the size of an SSD, just sideways?”

Can we not just agree that the person who said “it’s 2 km across” was wrong?

16 minutes ago, Admiral Calkins said:

The problem is that we see exactly what the Mandator IV does on screen.  With all the ships that you mentioned, nothing about how they play in Armada flat-out ignores what they did on-screen.  Taking away the Orbital Cannons from the Mandator IV would do exactly that.  Which is why I brought up the issue of "how would they work in Armada" as opposed to "it can never be in the game because..."

I guess my point was that they did exactly this for most ships from the original trilogy. They didn’t directly contradict what was onscreen but made up quite a bit to make something in Armada. There is no canon reason that I’m aware of for why a Liberty has guns forward and a Home One guns to the side. FFG just had to make something up. 

Same goes for the Mandator. I don’t see the big issue there. I’m not sure what FFG would do but they’d probably make it the combat FO capital ship since the resurgence in more of a supercarrier The big cannons can be an outside range 1-5 one off effect that requires you to choose a turn at the beginning of the game like with pryce or bail. 

Just now, LTD said:

Or in another source?

Well, I don't know how reliable the source is in terms of scale, but the newest battlefront has maps with ISDs and Resurgent battlecruisers. The battlecruiser definitely feels bigger... flatter... but bigger...

4 minutes ago, LTD said:

Can we not just agree that the person who said “it’s 2 km across” was wrong?

No we can not. This is not in our hands.

10 minutes ago, LTD said:

Is the bigger scale mentioned explicitly in the movie? Or is it a footnote in a novel? Or in another source?

The source doesn't matter. Disney makes the canon and they internally decided on the length of theses ships (not some 3rd party author after the fact). Every time these ships appear anywhere (games, book, movies...) whoever creates that game, book or move will have to make use of those official sizes. It does not even matter whether those length measurement are public. They exist somewhere in a Disney internal document and whoever creates something official with those ships needs to stick to those numbers.

Disney, unlike the old EU, is very strict with created content. I can guaranty you that the size of the Resurgent class was not a number a random author came up with in some random novelization. Those numbers are tightly controlled.  

I'd like a Scum faction first and foremost. Given Armada's limited release slate, one faction would be far easier to get up and running than two. Scum also offers some reasonably interesting options in terms of ships.

If not those, then FO/Resistance. Designs are interesting and the lack of established ships could actually be a boon, because it gives FFG a chance to come up with their own stuff and get it introduced to the greater SW universe, much like what happened with the Raider.

Not a fan of the Clone Wars. The ship design is all pretty blah and I never found it all that compelling of a conflict (kind of hard to get excited about the outcome of a battle when you realise that one guy is running both factions). Hard pass on that one for me.