eliteone

Poll: Would you rather have Clone Wars or FO/Resistance?

16 minutes ago, ninclouse2000 said:

I guess I know when I get to quit supporting this game then.  

Did you dislike the opening of ROTS? I mean just the space battle, nothing else.

All of the above...for different reasons.

If I was a Star Wars character, I'd be Scum or at least "unaligned" (okay, I'd probably be an Aleena or a blue Ortolan) and so I do have a personal leaning in that direction, although I don't think a "Scum" faction makes as much sense for Armada as it does for X-wing.

Clone Wars seems like the most sensible route for adding new factions (which I feel is needed sooner or later), and hopefully will mean Dreadnoughts and Venators (which I'd buy regardless of which faction they're in). Resistance/FO suffer from the gigantism of the ST, but could still be made to work.

Basically, I just want new stuff!

I’m hoping for Clone Wars.  I feel like both sides have just a much bigger diversity of capital ships, and major fleet engagements were the rule rather than the exception in the clone wars as opposed to the Galactic Civil war era.

i feel like right now the resistance fleet is too underdeveloped, and as New Republic funded non-state actor, they are in a worse spot than the rebels, especially since their ships were pretty much all destroyed in the last Jedi.

Resistance/FO for me. I’m not a huge fan of the sequel trilogy, and I love Revenge of the Sith. However, I absolutely love the ascetic of the space battles in this era. In my opinion, the resistance capital ships are BEAUTIFUL. FO ships are alright if hard to implement, and the squadrons on both sides are cool and sleek. Additionally, I think there is to much ship overlap with many of the possible republic ships to make republic interesting. Rebels have Pelta. Empire had victory and arquitens. And I would prefer empire to have venator and carrion spike, the republic stealth ship.

6 hours ago, LordCola said:

Did you dislike the opening of ROTS? I mean just the space battle, nothing else.

I did not hate that scene but it wasn’t that impressive to me.  I prefer the return of the Jedi space battle to that one.  That rots has great special effects but a terrible story line.  Just my opinion.  I have a strong bias against those prequels.  If they release clone wars, it’s a good thing for me in a way,  I won’t have to spend a bunch of money on toy ships anymore I guess lol. I will just stay in my original trilogy cave lol.

8938506.jpg

Well this was always the case is what factions. For a while there was Rebels (good guys) and Imperials (Bad guys). Keep in mind this was before the Disney $tar War$ movies and the acquisition of Lucas Films. But for any Star Wars game that was it. The 6 factions were not factions but subsets of their faction. This has been the case for the LCG, Rebellion, Armada, even Destiny. 

Then X-wing were given a 3rd faction (after all the movie ships were out and FFG started to dip into the EU). This broke the 2 sided faction now bringing a 3rd faction into the equation. The other game to use this was Imperial Assault.

Now X-wing 2.0 is out and they have split the different eras into their own factions bringing everything to 7 factions. 2 for each era and one 3rd party neutral that spans the entire universe. So Legion is now getting Clone Wars and will likely also get Skywalkers or whatever they call that era. Scum could be just a 3rd party mercenary that could be shared or played as its own faction. Well if Armada gets more factions, then I don't see why it would not get the full 7 Fantasy Faction Games.

Clone Wars ships. I've been waiting for so long for them to announce it yet. With the release of Clone Wars for Legion, my hopes are high. But mostly because of the various CIS naval ships since the Republic really don't have as many or varied. They are in a bit of same problem with Empire: a bunch of triangles. CIS, however, I would die for to own. 

Sequel era ships are not as interesting to me.

Posted (edited)
On 4/4/2019 at 5:41 PM, redxavier said:

Resistance / FO. Cooler looking ships. More interesting conflict. Great mix of classic and new characters. Lots of potential as it's ongoing and expanding. I'd era lock them, and market the conflict as a quicker version of the game, a hit and run raid vs control and defense style skirmish to distinguish it from the GCW. In time, with new content they can increase the scope.

I'm just not a fan of the CW designs, with the exception of the Radiant VII/Republic Consular-class cruiser and I don't find the conflict itself appealing.

Really? I guess I'm just the polar opposite of you.  When I first saw the resurgent class in TFA I couldn't stand the design.  Why would the FO build all those openings into their ships? Seems like it'd jeopardize the ship's structural integrity, or worse expose it to starfighter attacks.  And the rebels/resistance are known for their starfighters. 

As for the conflict being more interesting, its just a cheap re-hash of the GCW. 

CW designs are beautiful and Iconic.  Venators and Lucrehulks? Yes please!

Best thing from the new trilogy is the hammerhead/corvette.  That ship looked cool I'll give you that.  I just have to disagree with you on just about everything else, I dunno to each their own I guess.

Edited by Belisarius09

1 hour ago, Belisarius09 said:

Really? I guess I'm just the polar opposite of you.  When I first saw the resurgent class in TFA I couldn't stand the design.  Why would the FO build all those openings into their ships? Seems like it'd jeopardize the ship's structural integrity, or worse expose it to starfighter attacks.  And the rebels/resistance are known for their starfighters. 

As for the conflict being more interesting, its just a cheap re-hash of the GCW. 

Best thing from the new trilogy is the hammerhead/corvette.  That ship looked cool I'll give you that.  I just have to disagree with you on just about everything else, I dunno to each their own I guess.

Lol what is iconic about anything from the prequels?  Those movies are trash 

I think the FO could be done well as if designed right. You could have the FO use only medium and large ships that are generally effective and massed fighters. It would be interesting.

Just like the CIS could have lots of large and medium ships that are cheap and mediocre and lots of cheap mass fighters.

Hating the prequels or the sequels arnt going to do anything. Its not the product of one demographic now.

1 hour ago, ninclouse2000 said:

Lol what is iconic about anything from the prequels?  Those movies are trash 

At the very least a lot more iconic/original than the Sequal stuff. And also better movies, but they only really started to grow on me when I read more books from that era. Before that I may have shared your opinion on those movies.

Clone Wars.

Way more detailed storyline, much more characters, all of them are more iconic alone than any of the new trilogy bunch together (minus Luke). FO/Resistance and their backstory is ridiculous, plus they don't have enough materiel for a completely new faction. And the power creep is beyond insane. An FO Star Destroyer should one-shot an ISD. And FO SDs are the main starships of their fleet, not unique ships like the SSD. How would you scale this for Armada?

5 minutes ago, Revanur said:

At the very least a lot more iconic/original than the Sequal stuff. And also better movies, but they only really started to grow on me when I read more books from that era. Before that I may have shared your opinion on those movies.

Don't feed the troll.

I can't vote.... my boyfriend did for sure but I think that's a shared IP issue :(

Clone wars would be a great thing to add to Armada 'cause there is plenty of ship and just too much commanders to add to the game. They have ships and stuff for minimum 6 years of new releases.... For First order, we do not know like half of what's coming up, maybe it would be great to have it later, something like 5-6 years from now, plus fleet forces would really be unbalanced from what we can see in the movies... and I don't really like their new ships either ;) And scums... that could be nice for a 3-players game... we already are making some games and playing the 3rd one as scum (having ships from any faction and access to every  character known as a ''pirate'' or some sort of''mercenary''(bounty hunter) ex: Boba Fett, Bossk, Dengar, etc.)

5 hours ago, Belisarius09 said:

Welp, I think the Venators and Acclaimators are kind of chunky and bloated, so it does go both ways :). I prefer the sleeker no-nonsense designs of the First Order, trimming the fat but sizing the ships to impressive fear-inducing scale. Besides, between shrinking/maintaining/growing the scale of a common space battleship, it makes more sense to me to make it bigger.

I already like the feeling of power out my ISDs, I can't wait to bring a Resurgent to the table. Heck I'll be happy to pit that against a Venator and see how long the Republic codger lasts against Kyber-infused turbolasers.

TFA and TLJ designs are controversial, but I love them for that. Star Wars is doing something new with design without being so out there as to give us bioships. They've grasped why the Imperial Aesthetic is cool for some of us, and maximized that with sleek edged ships.

In the end, while the Clone Wars is probably a certainty because of it's popularity, it just makes me want the Resurgent even more. It means popularity wouldn't be the only deciding factor on which ships are brought to us. I'm still waiting on Nebulon-B2s and MC40s, even though they'll never be made because they're so obscure.

2 hours ago, Norell said:

Clone Wars.

Way more detailed storyline, much more characters, all of them are more iconic alone than any of the new trilogy bunch together (minus Luke). FO/Resistance and their backstory is ridiculous, plus they don't have enough materiel for a completely new faction. And the power creep is beyond insane. An FO Star Destroyer should one-shot an ISD. And FO SDs are the main starships of their fleet, not unique ships like the SSD. How would you scale this for Armada?

Don't be ridiculous. By accounts SSDs should be able to one-shot ISDs, but their forward battery on the *usable* variants matches that of an ISD. Whatever comes will be balanced and usable. If the FO/Resistance get power, my bet is on an exclusive slot that gives them enhanced abilities with battery levels already present in the GCW ships. Just like what happened in X-Wing.

3 hours ago, Ling27 said:

I think the FO could be done well as if designed right. You could have the FO use only medium and large ships that are generally effective and massed fighters. It would be interesting.

Just like the CIS could have lots of large and medium ships that are cheap and mediocre and lots of cheap mass fighters.

Hating the prequels or the sequels arnt going to do anything. Its not the product of one demographic now.

FO used a few relatively small ships, it's not just Resurgents and Mandator IVs. One of my favorites is the Maxima-A, which appears to be about the side of a Gladiator (or so I want to believe).  For instance, they have a light cruiser design that comes docked to the Resurgent, but seems usable on its own.

8 minutes ago, Norsehound said:

Don't be ridiculous. By accounts SSDs should be able to one-shot ISDs, but their forward battery on the *usable* variants matches that of an ISD. Whatever comes will be balanced and usable. If the FO/Resistance get power, my bet is on an exclusive slot that gives them enhanced abilities with battery levels already present in the GCW ships. Just like what happened in X-Wing.

FO used a few relatively small ships, it's not just Resurgents and Mandator IVs. One of my favorites is the Maxima-A, which appears to be about the side of a Gladiator (or so I want to believe).  For instance, they have a light cruiser design that comes docked to the Resurgent, but seems usable on its own.

Well, the FO has several ships with the firepower matching an SSD. That's my basic issue. The average FO ship is supposed to be about as powerful as the hyper-special huge shipő of the Empire. Tell me please how would this be balanced?

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Norell said:

Well, the FO has several ships with the firepower matching an SSD. That's my basic issue. The average FO ship is supposed to be about as powerful as the hyper-special huge shipő of the Empire. Tell me please how would this be balanced?

I don't see anything on Wookiepedia saying the Resurgent has SSD firepower... do you mean the Mandator IV and Supremacy? Where are you getting that the average FO ship is supposed to be as powerful as the SSD, or are you being hyperbolic?

(Besides even if Resurgents did have SSD firepower, could this mean using the ISD-II forward battery as the SSD variants do? This could mean lots of things in Armada.)

I'd agree with you that the Supremacy is impossible to do in Armada- that's like jamming a Star Destroyer into X-Wing. The Mandator IV on the other hand is smaller than the SSD, but it remains to be seen how FFG (if at all) wants to represent the massive super gun gimmick. That may be reason alone the ship won't be brought in.

FO can still pull on the Resurgents, Maxima-As, Light Cruisers, Carron Spike if they wanted, Lancers, Nebulon-Ks, and others that we have heard them discuss. The first three have visual depictions, and the longer Resistance cartoon goes the more likely we'll see other First Order craft show up to populate that period. Since Rebels didn't introduce new ships larger than an ISD, I suspect Resistance will also give us a look at what the smaller patrol-grade forces of the First Order look like.

We also know they use a bunch of Imperial-era equipment as well. So long as you can field a Resurgent with maybe a Maxima-A and new fighter squadrons, you can throw Gozantis or Raiders in there and pretty well imagine a First Order fleet. Arquitens might be a bit old for them by that point, though so might the Gozantis.

Edited by Norsehound