eliteone

Poll: Would you rather have Clone Wars or FO/Resistance?

Posted (edited)

Clone wars. Taking everything practical out of the equation, I want Mace Windu! Upgrade card with a double-edge theme? Also cross-faction ships like venator please(and practicality back in, it allows ffg to cater to more than 1 faction per expansion even with the fewer wave output of Armada)

Cold war would allow me to use Holdo though. She'd probably play like a reverse Raddus :P Oh and the B-2 Bomber Huge ship

Edited by Muelmuel

Posted (edited)

Clone Wars.

The new ships for the resistance/fo seem boring  and unoriginal. They are all just copies of the GCW ships....just bigger. Not a fan so far. Hopefully episode 9 will give us something that isn’t just a bigger version of something we already have.

Edited by mcworrell
Me no English good.

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Yipe said:

Plus, let's not forget about upgrade cards which are key to keeping Armada battles fresh.  TCW would definitely have better upgrades and greater expansion potential as there's far more material to draw from.  Just think of how many massive campaign sets TCW could support, especially with a Legion tie-in.  Finally, the characters are more iconic.  For example, would I rather have General Kenobi as my commander or... the buffoonish General Hux?  No contest in my book.

TCW expansions will be about as good as anything else released, full of duds or awesome cards. Just because it comes from the Clone Wars doesn't make it better. Maybe TIE Fighters won't be the most pathetic craft anymore with the release of the Droid Fighters (which would also go as unplayed as generic TIE Fighters).

Hux and Ren may not be inspiring commanders, but I'd take a Resurgent or Maxima-A over any clone wars starship in a heartbeat. I prefer the sleeker, modernized take on the originals.

Edited by Norsehound

1 hour ago, The Jabbawookie said:

By design should an Executor-class Star Dreadnought have 120% of the frontal firepower compared to an ISD?

That was the one reason I didn't want an SSD. If FFG made one, I wanted it to have at least 1000% more firepower than the ISD, and have it be around 10-19 feet long...

Posted (edited)

I mean, lets be honest here. People like to act like the Clone War was some ancient war compared to the Galactic Civil War.

It was 14-19 years before the Civil War was actually declared, then another 5 years of the Galactic Civil War. So in 14 years the Galactic Empire had to replace their entire Navy and train entire new crews of a few hundred to a few thousand, per ship. The Republic Navy (assumedly) had training on Kamino on simulated craft that they knew they were getting for a 3 year war, plus all naval personel who were already in the Republic. The Imperial Navy was much more of a political garrison environment as well, where the Republic was less that.

So basing EVERYTHING as "as it would be in the GCW," is silly. They should do it like Middle Earth SBG, where everything is set as an "at their prime" thing. Even Numenor has solid units, if not enough.

Also, the Star Wars Tech doesnt change much anyway.

Edited by Ling27

4 hours ago, Norsehound said:

TCW expansions will be about as good as anything else released, full of duds or awesome cards. Just because it comes from the Clone Wars doesn't make it better.

I agree that TCW won't have better upgrades on a 1-for-1 basis.  It should be roughly the same as previous GCW releases in that regard.  My point was, with 3 movies + 6 (and soon to be 7) seasons of the animated series, there's currently a much larger pool of canon material (especially beloved characters) to draw from than for the FO/new trilogy.

Therefore, with a deeper pool you can have more upgrades, and more upgrades gives you a better chance for more better upgrades.  And I like more better.  However, I will admit that my more-better-upgrade math could be wrong 😅

Easy Clone Wars for me. Feels more fleshed out and like the way a lot of the ships look and feel Star Wars, while being different enough to give a full new look to the fleet.

FO/Resistance feels more like an extension on the look of OT and offers less true new stuff.

Would also buy into a Scum faction if done right, but I think it would be difficult to give Scum a proper fleet.

Clone Wars is far more preferable. There is lots of stuff already there and stuff that has been on screen. Lots of on screen stories to drive scenarios or campaign things. Everything is till in manageable scales to each other and sized for acceptable expansion prices and gameplay stats that make sense. From an IP for a sci-fi wargame standpoint Clone Wars era is a far superior choice to sequel era. I'd be interested in Clone Wars even as a new version or its own game.   

Clone Wars has more of an "Epic Naval Battle" feel to it, largely because it's had years to establish itself.  Also it is beloved by an entire generation who have grown up with it.  

Sequel Trilogy is not there yet.  I expect it WILL be there one day, and MIGHT even better reflect the type of epic space drama that I'd love to see, but for now it simply hasn't done enough to warrant Armada factions.  We'll check back after December and see how things have changed.  

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Crabbok said:

Hux?   Dude I want Captain Cannaday.  (sp?)  That dude is gonna be one of the most hardcore commanders in the game.  He got a raw deal TBH.   He CLEARLY knew what to do, shame he wasn't actually in control of the situation.  

You should read the novelization if you haven't already. They go deep into the interaction between Canady and Hux. Also between the captain of the Finalizer and Hux. It's pretty rich in lore and gives context to the tension between old empire remnants and the first order crewers. 

Edited by Darth Sanguis

Posted (edited)

The Clone Wars era has an incredible variety of unique and gorgeous ship designs.

It also sells incredibly well because people who grew up with the Prequels are adults now with money to spend. I’m one of those fans lol

Not to mention the gameplay could be different enough to allow a gentle reworking of Armada for that era, but flexible enough to allow some of the CW ships to be used by GCW fleets.

~

I like the ST era ships but there’s not that many and unlike the other eras the factions are purposely not balanced. 

We’ll probably see a much larger Resistance fleet in Episode IX but honestly unless there’s a huge fleet battle it’s more a star fighter dominated era.

Edited by Forresto

Posted (edited)

I'm pretty confident in saying FFG has been working on Clone Wars factions for Armada. Taking a look at their releases for Armada, other tabletop games, and fan requests...it's going to be Clone Wars. I'd be they're already testing the ships out, and like many have said are not yet ready to announce. I think we could see one more wave with the GCW before the CW announcement. 

Looking at:

SSD - fan requested, planned two (three?) years ago. 

Increased Armada news / information - fan requested (pleaded?) FFG started to become more transparent. 

Flotilla / Relay nerf - fan requested (hit too hard?) and now established table/limit rule.

Official large & small format rules - fan requested

all this evidence plus the play testers leaking that they are play testing new ships, and the FFG statement that they're not ready to discuss the new ships AND the final piece of information: 12 new episodes of Clone Wars announced in 2018, probably airing sometime late this year. Everything points to Clone Wars. This poll was really to see where the Armada fan base fell... and I can now guarantee we will have Clone Wars factions in Armada, announced right around the time we get to new episodes. 

Just don't ask me when actually product arrives. 

Edited by eliteone

2 hours ago, eliteone said:

I'm pretty confident in saying FFG has been working on Clone Wars factions for Armada. Taking a look at their releases for Armada, other tabletop games, and fan requests...it's going to be Clone Wars. I'd be they're already testing the ships out, and like many have said are not yet ready to announce. I think we could see one more wave with the GCW before the CW announcement. 

Looking at:

SSD - fan requested, planned two (three?) years ago. 

Increased Armada news / information - fan requested (pleaded?) FFG started to become more transparent. 

Flotilla / Relay nerf - fan requested (hit too hard?) and now established table/limit rule.

Official large & small format rules - fan requested

all this evidence plus the play testers leaking that they are play testing new ships, and the FFG statement that they're not ready to discuss the new ships AND the final piece of information: 12 new episodes of Clone Wars announced in 2018, probably airing sometime late this year. Everything points to Clone Wars. This poll was really to see where the Armada fan base fell... and I can now guarantee we will have Clone Wars factions in Armada, announced right around the time we get to new episodes. 

Just don't ask me when actually product arrives. 

I guess I know when I get to quit supporting this game then.