eliteone

Poll: Would you rather have Clone Wars or FO/Resistance?

Posted (edited)

Wondering what the current feels are for the eventual, maybe someday, who knows, well whatever addition of two new factions to Star Wars Armada. 

Taking everything practical out of the equation: # of ships that could be used, size ratios, pilots/squads, upgrades, production, FFGs mysterious ways etc; what would you rather see: Clone Wars factions or Resistance/FO factions in Armada? Why?

Quantitative can be found here: https://strawpoll.com/1d66ypyz

Qualitative: see below

Edited by eliteone

Just now, codytx2 said:

I'm cheating and offering a 3rd option; scum/Hutt/Mandalorian/Black Sun/etc faction.  The identity of the faction could possibly be much more unique than the other 2 options which sometimes feel like reskins of the existing factions.  

I think a third faction with a different feel would be great.

However, I'm struggling to think of any medium or large based ships that the Crime syndicates could field.

20 minutes ago, Admael said:

I think a third faction with a different feel would be great.

However, I'm struggling to think of any medium or large based ships that the Crime syndicates could field.

Agreed; they would probably copy X-Wing by pulling from media for all trilogies. As a plus though working in an area not so fleshed out may give them some design freedom from Disney that would otherwise not exist. 

38 minutes ago, Admael said:

Resistance/FO.

As a rebel player I want that MC85 since it's basically a Viscount-class from old canon/Legends.

I will second this for the exact same reasoning.

12 minutes ago, LordCola said:

Created an actual poll: https://strawpoll.com/1d66ypyz

@eliteone why don't you edit this into your original post.

Hey, thanks. Trying to get to the qualitative included - the straight up data this/or/that is great and I wanted to really get more of the "feels" & "whys"  someone would choose what they chose. 

Clone Wars. I hate anything related to the ST, and seeing Empire play reskinned Empire with infinite credits makes me cringe.

Also, I'm a huge fan of the TV show, clones, the non-Sith Separatists, and the non-Sith Republic.

Ahsoka and Rex are two of my favorite characters.

I stand with the Clone Wars first.

The ships look great on both sides, there are far more characters that can be upgrades, and both factions have distinct looks to them that will make them stand out from the existing factions. There's enough there for both factions to have multiple large, medium, small class ships as well as flotillas. There could even be a Huge ship in the Malevolence if FFG dared to make another one.

Clone Wars is just more fleshed out right now to easily bring them into the game alongside what we already have.

I still love the Resistance and First Order, but there just isn't enough at this time to have that makes up a fleet. The First Order is only known for one capital ship (I haven't read any of the comics to see any other ships), which might have to be a huge-class ship on it's own, which could mean an expensive price tag for anyone looking to get into that faction. Resistance has only been shown with four ship types, but there's still nothing known on what they truly have for ships in a normal fleet. At most, the Resistance would get three small ships and one huge-class ship.

Not to mention that, aesthetically, there just wouldn't be much visual difference on the table if you had Resistance and/or First Order ships flying around against Rebel or Imperial ships.

Resistance / FO. Cooler looking ships. More interesting conflict. Great mix of classic and new characters. Lots of potential as it's ongoing and expanding. I'd era lock them, and market the conflict as a quicker version of the game, a hit and run raid vs control and defense style skirmish to distinguish it from the GCW. In time, with new content they can increase the scope.

I'm just not a fan of the CW designs, with the exception of the Radiant VII/Republic Consular-class cruiser and I don't find the conflict itself appealing.

If the Clone Wars come out, by design should the ships be as wonky/inefficient as the Victory Star Destroyer, Arquitens cruiser, and the Pelta? All of those ships are veterans from that war, and we have them after they've been modernized. What business does the Venator, Acclaimator, and the like have being better than the VSD? Popularity?

Resistance/First Order offers sleeker new ships in the newest part of the franchise with exclusive hi-tech slots that do amazing things. It just makes sense that they'd be better in some way because they're newer.

We're also missing another option here: Integrate these factions into the existing ones. I'm down for a Rebel Recusant, or taking a Venator alongside my Imperial Raiders and VSDs. I don't want to be forced to fly CIS just to field them, and it doesn't make sense to me to lock out republic equipment from the Empire when the Empire uses old Republic equipment!

8 minutes ago, Norsehound said:

If the Clone Wars come out, by design should the ships be as wonky/inefficient as the Victory Star Destroyer, Arquitens cruiser, and the Pelta? All of those ships are veterans from that war, and we have them after they've been modernized. What business does the Venator, Acclaimator, and the like have being better than the VSD? Popularity?

By design should an Executor-class Star Dreadnought have 120% of the frontal firepower compared to an ISD?  Should a Pelta have 50%?  The Venator cards would represent the ships in their prime.  The cards for the VSD represent it when it's an aging relic (and crewed by less competent hands?)

Maybe the Imperial Venator should be wonky, though.

As a big fan of the animated series, Clone Wars all the way for me.  The ships are in a better scale to what we have now, and I find the designs more visually interesting.  Same goes with all the different squadrons (I would love to run a Vulture Droid swarm).

Plus, let's not forget about upgrade cards which are key to keeping Armada battles fresh.  TCW would definitely have better upgrades and greater expansion potential as there's far more material to draw from.  Just think of how many massive campaign sets TCW could support, especially with a Legion tie-in.  Finally, the characters are more iconic.  For example, would I rather have General Kenobi as my commander or... the buffoonish General Hux?  No contest in my book.