Sign in to follow this  
drail14me

G8 Experimental Projector???

Posted (edited)

Wondering why either the G-8 Experimental Projector or another Experimental Retrofit can’t INCREASE speed by 1? Wondering why developers chose not to allow it to increase speed?

Edited by drail14me

19 minutes ago, drail14me said:

Wondering why either the G-8 Experimental Projector or another Experimental Retrofit can’t INCREASE speed by 1? Wondering why developers chose not to allow it to increase speed?

Why would they?

Dictors were made to grab enemy ships.

6 minutes ago, Green Knight said:

Why would they?

Dictors were made to grab enemy ships.

You are correct. By lore, the ships create a gravity well that keeps other ships from escaping to hyperspace. That gravity well is centered around the ship itself.

However, in game mechanics, the ships ability can be projected to other parts of the mat and move obstacles around. So, why not an ability that lets them speed ships up just like it slows them down. Throw a gravity well token in front of a ship and increase it's speed by 1. Put that token behind an obstacle and pull a ship across a rock.

55 minutes ago, Ginkapo said:

Konstantine can, especially in conjunction with slicer tools and ion cannons/tractor beams.

True for Konstantine but you don't need the Interdictor to use his ability. Would be neat to see G8 eratta'ed to "Increase or decrease" speed by one. Might help bring more Interdictors to the table. I've always liked that ship. Not a big fan of FFGs sculpt of it but it's still cool. Would like to see it's bag of unique tricks increased.

G-8 seems based off what we saw in Rebels. Onscreen in that show, interdictions had tech that seemed to drain power as much as anything else. Tech like that wouldn’t make a ship go faster. 

4 hours ago, Church14 said:

G-8 seems based off what we saw in Rebels. Onscreen in that show, interdictions had tech that seemed to drain power as much as anything else. Tech like that wouldn’t make a ship go faster. 

True but things are kind of backwards in the game. The Interdictor is designed to stop ships from escaping or running away. So, their power pulls the ship to keep it from running away, thus slowing it down. In the game, ships aren't running away, they are coming TOWARDS the Interdictor, so any power would pull them faster towards the ship. The G-8, when thinking in terms of physics, would actually be pushing AGAINST a ship coming towards it to slow it down. Just seems backwards.

2 minutes ago, drail14me said:

True but things are kind of backwards in the game. The Interdictor is designed to stop ships from escaping or running away. So, their power pulls the ship to keep it from running away, thus slowing it down. In the game, ships aren't running away, they are coming TOWARDS the Interdictor, so any power would pull them faster towards the ship. The G-8, when thinking in terms of physics, would actually be pushing AGAINST a ship coming towards it to slow it down. Just seems backwards.

My impression for that episode was that they

1) Created something like a grav well

2) Had a different system that drained power from targeted ships

3) Had tractor beams. 

In Armada that is implemented with:

1) Ships can’t hyperspace away in cC when near an interdictor

2) G8s drain power. Represented in game by slowing a targeted ship down

3) tractor beams slow a ship down instead of forcing a maneuver to end closer to the interdictor than it otherwise would have  

If I misunderstood or - more likely - misremember - that episode than I can see where my take wouldn’t make sense. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Church14 said:

My impression for that episode was that they

1) Created something like a grav well

2) Had a different system that drained power from targeted ships

3) Had tractor beams. 

In Armada that is implemented with:

1) Ships can’t hyperspace away in cC when near an interdictor

2) G8s drain power. Represented in game by slowing a targeted ship down

3) tractor beams slow a ship down instead of forcing a maneuver to end closer to the interdictor than it otherwise would have  

If I misunderstood or - more likely - misremember - that episode than I can see where my take wouldn’t make sense. 

I just rewatched the episodes of Rebels with the Interdictor. Season 2, Ep 9 has the Interdictor as simply a gravity well generator that pulls ships from Hyperspace and prevents them from escaping. It is destroyed by Chopper hacking the ships computer causing it to pull all nearby ships into it causing a collision and destroying it. Season 3, Ep21 again has the Interdictor as just producing a gravity well preventing escape.

So, a gravity well would pull things IN. A ship moving towards it would also be pulled in, thus speed up. Yet, the G8 slows the ship down. Same with Tractor beam, it slows a ship down instead of pulling it in.  Just seems backwards in the game.

Edited by drail14me

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, drail14me said:

I just rewatched the episodes of Rebels with the Interdictor. Season 2, Ep 9 has the Interdictor as simply a gravity well generator that pulls ships from Hyperspace and prevents them from escaping. It is destroyed by Chopper hacking the ships computer causing it to pull all nearby ships into it causing a collision and destroying it. Season 3, Ep21 again has the Interdictor as just producing a gravity well preventing escape.

So, a gravity well would pull things IN. A ship moving towards it would also be pulled in, thus speed up. Yet, the G8 slows the ship down. Same with Tractor beam, it slows a ship down instead of pulling it in.  Just seems backwards in the game. 

Minimum range/angle for grav well projection.

Or maybe just that putting a grav well between an Interdictor and an incoming target risks affecting the Interdictor, whereas when you're slowing them, the well is farther away (I grant that this explanation falls apart when you're pushing them away from you, but most of the time speeding them up moves them toward you.)

Edited by The Jabbawookie

In reality: ease of use, card wording and not wanting to replicate or replace an Admiral effect... 

It gets tedious to write “to a minimum of 1 and a maximum of their maximum speed” a whole bunch, and THEN have to consider FAQs about what happens when you speed up a Victory going 2...

.. will it always be a choice, or will you try to dictate orientation?

Honestly- I think it was partly “these are not going to be the only Experimentals forever... Let’s see what people do with these before offering more or greater...”