duck_bird

Drifting at Worlds! (Game write ups)

The regionals data project showed that there's not many of us Madine players around at tournaments. Really glad to see you take him to 10th at worlds! 

He's great fun to play, and the best for puns. I run a double liberty list, which is a match Madine-Heaven! 

@duck_bird, you made my morning.

Since worlds will likely never be a thing for me because my busiest work season is right now, your AAR is a blessing. I've always flown Madine lists for the same reasons you mentioned; I've been experimenting a lot with VCX's and Ketsu lately; and you flew against two of my favorite 'Armada famous' opponents! Thanks for sharing a happy 'what might have been' fairy tale for me (as you undoubtedly made less bone headed mistakes than I would have).

Long live that long haired california drifter and his fish tailing corvettes! That playstyle leads to so many impossible, "There's no way you can.... It's ok, we've got Madine" moments that it usually leads to a ton of laughter for both sides.

36 minutes ago, deDios said:

@duck_bird, you made my morning.

Since worlds will likely never be a thing for me because my busiest work season is right now, your AAR is a blessing. I've always flown Madine lists for the same reasons you mentioned; I've been experimenting a lot with VCX's and Ketsu lately; and you flew against two of my favorite 'Armada famous' opponents! Thanks for sharing a happy 'what might have been' fairy tale for me (as you undoubtedly made less bone headed mistakes than I would have).

Long live that long haired california drifter and his fish tailing corvettes! That playstyle leads to so many impossible, "There's no way you can.... It's ok, we've got Madine" moments that it usually leads to a ton of laughter for both sides.

Imagine thinking you have Admonition trapped then you look out the window and see this:

hqdefault.jpg.145922f4f0a331a622d2a0df080b1f87.jpg

Pedals.jpg.fd3b3b040fd07d954f33eb77f9a2962e.jpg

Drift.jpg.465a347c2b3d87828bcbe08e38b38bd3.jpg

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 2:39 AM, duck_bird said:

Really nice summuary, and great to read.
So, you were playing against Norm, Roquax (i assume it was him in turn 4? It looked like his fleet at least), JJ, Dong Le and Yik? Really impressive.
And with 49 Points it was only 5 Points away from the cut. Seems after all it was really close in the end.

10 hours ago, Tokra said:

Really nice summuary, and great to read.
So, you were playing against Norm, Roquax (i assume it was him in turn 4? It looked like his fleet at least), JJ, Dong Le and Yik? Really impressive.
And with 49 Points it was only 5 Points away from the cut. Seems after all it was really close in the end.

Yuuuup!  It was a real treat and quite the learning experience!

I asked FFG for a buncha seals to club and they did not comply.  

Posted (edited)

Hey ! Great to see your write up and to see the evolution of the list that you clubbed me with in warm up games on Vassal!

Huge congratulations for breaking the mould and taking Madine into the top commanders. I find it's so easy to fall into a rut and go with the popular commanders. I heard one if your games described on Galactic Conflict as 'trying to fight water' and I know exactly what they mean.

Big props for a great achievement!

Edited by ManInTheBox

I was just happened to see this now.  Great write-up!  I also enjoyed watching Madine do well at worlds.  I'd stuck with Madine for the longest time but felt like I needed to change out for one of the big four.  In the end, I'm not sure the choice of Madine or Raddus ended up mattering that much.  Generally, the match-ups that gave me fits with one, also gave me fits for the other for similar reasons.  I think you're right that the state of the game really pushes away from using a Liberty.  Admo can generally drop as much damage on a single target, and the CR90s can eat up a large extremely well.  And in the current meta, there's something to be said for having that many points invested in squads rather than trying to go squadronless.

I'm really intrigued by the similarities between your list and Nathan Coda's list.  2 Cr90s, Admo, 2 Flotillas, squads.  The commanders are then determining what squads and exactly how you should be playing the game itself, but my sense is that the overall ship/squad core is sound, and might be one of the best places for Rebels to aim.

I didn't get a chance to meet in person.  Congrats on the great finish!

14 hours ago, Vergilius said:

I'm really intrigued by the similarities between your list and Nathan Coda's list.  2 Cr90s, Admo, 2 Flotillas, squads.  The commanders are then determining what squads and exactly how you should be playing the game itself, but my sense is that the overall ship/squad core is sound, and might be one of the best places for Rebels to aim.

Yeah, in this case Madine is directly competing with raddus and reikan.  Madine navigates better to avoid getting shot and line up good shots.  Raddus chooses to appear in a perfect spot to avoid dying and line up perfect shots.  Reikan chooses to not die, so he can shoot you anyway.

The weaknesses of Madine in comparison can really be seen against raddus lists. I have to spread out so much to avoid getting forked that I cannot kill the drop ship once it's in play. My other ships are simply too far away.

Thinking back, I actually didn't destroy a single large ship the entire tournament. I just flew around them and hunted smalls/squads. With only 5 activations I can't easily trap large ships without dying in return, which reikan lets Nathan pull off.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, duck_bird said:

Yeah, in this case Madine is directly competing with raddus and reikan.  Madine navigates better to avoid getting shot and line up good shots.  Raddus chooses to appear in a perfect spot to avoid dying and line up perfect shots.  Reikan chooses to not die, so he can shoot you anyway.

The weaknesses of Madine in comparison can really be seen against raddus lists. I have to spread out so much to avoid getting forked that I cannot kill the drop ship once it's in play. My other ships are simply too far away.

Thinking back, I actually didn't destroy a single large ship the entire tournament. I just flew around them and hunted smalls/squads. With only 5 activations I can't easily trap large ships without dying in return, which reikan lets Nathan pull off.

I ran this list once and it got a 10-0 against a Raddus list (yes, 10-0, my opponent conceded) and an 8-3 against a Rieekan list, but that was because of Madine drifting his shrimps to always keep the side arcs facing the flagship. With Raddus it meant locking out 120+pts of large ship from the game, but I do admit I was very lucky that he didn't activate Raddus that turn, because "he was saving the drop for the next turn (where he could've forked two shrimps)" and with Rieekan I never had to be blocked by a zombie or harassed by dead squads. And if I faced a heavy-squad list there are 4 YT-2400s to eat damage, dish it right back, and move fast.

Name: Madine Shrimps v3.5
Faction: Rebel
Commander: General Madine

Assault: Opening Salvo
Defense: Planetary Ion Cannon
Navigation: Dangerous Territory

MC30c Torpedo Frigate (63)
• General Madine (30)
• Ordnance Experts (4)
• Assault Proton Torpedoes (5)
Admonition (8)
= 110 Points