MidWestScrub

[Blog] The Ultimate Negative Play Experience.

Posted (edited)

Yup.  if everyone he plays is miserable, because of one guy, and nobody speaks up, that's just geek social fallacies bringing everyone down.  It IS ok to exclude people if they're being jerks, and having the confrontation won't be fun, but in the long run, it'll work better for everyone.

But conversely, havign played against similar people myself, they put a lot of effort into pushing the limit JUST right so that no individual opponent gets pissed off enough to dob them in.  There are a couple of people I know of on the UK tournament circuit who are a bit notorious for it.  in the particular case I'm thinking of, very slow play, whilst running an alpha strike list, to the point where in one match I was probably two rounds from winning and about 4 or 5 rounds behind everyone else, at time.

And no, I'm not naming names on an open forum thread, but I do know next time I face one of them, if the game goes the way it has previously, I'll be heading over to a judge after the game to let them know.

Edited by thespaceinvader

14 minutes ago, 5050Saint said:

I encourage you to get back out into the X-Wing community, as it is one of the best parts of X-Wing. The NPEs are the exception. I can honestly say that I've only had one or two in my 1 1/2 years of playing.  

I seriously considered it for X-Wing 2.0, but the Hyperspace rules completely killed my interest.

It sucks when you get really hyped for a big event like this and have a bad experience that overwhelms your memory of the whole thing, but really try to focus on the positives here:

- You got to hang out with your friends, play a lot, probably get some swag, and met some awesome people.

- You saw that the vast majority of the X-wing community are nice, genuine, fair people.

It's always important to keep in mind that gaming communities are often made up of people with lots of different social issues and when you couple this with the intensity/anxiety of a big event, I'm sure it can bring out the worst in individuals who might struggle to interpret the nuance of their opponents and fully understand their own actions and how they affect others.

At the end of the day, I try to look at it stoically in that you can only control your own actions.  Players at these events can sometimes be cutthroat, jerks, cheaters, etc., but you know that you played the way you wanted to and held yourself to your own standards.  Again, I think the vast majority of X-wing players hold themselves to a higher standard and that ultimately leads to a good community.

The larger a group gets the more of a chance a few *** holes pop up. Don't let one jerk spoil a whole day. I have played in a handful of large tournaments and there is always one game where my opponent acts like if he loses his year is ruined.

I find these things are self-correcting.  

Guy we had locally was not very fun to play, and generally hard to get along with, games dried up for him real quick, because word got around that he was a bit of a misery guts to play.

While it sucks  that he became a pariah, he kind of did it to himself.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, thespaceinvader said:

There are a couple of people I know of on the UK tournament circuit who are a bit notorious for it.  in the particular case I'm thinking of, very slow play, whilst running an alpha strike list, to the point where in one match I was probably two rounds from winning and about 4 or 5 rounds behind everyone else, at time.

Ouch. I'm always worried I'm playing too slow for an opponent, but in my defence I am using a TIE/sk swarm and it does take that long to figure out what you're doing. I'm genuinely trying not to take too long.

If it's a missile squad on rails and they're blatantly trying to kill something then run out the clock that's different. 

I think the Original Post had the key comment - if you get someone like that, try to notice/talk to the opponents of/watch the other games they play. If it's a one-off because 'its' pre lunchtime and I've not had caffiene yet' that's different to a consistent pattern, and yes, as @thespaceinvader says, it is all right to draw a TO's attention to this after the game. They won't come down on them but they will keep an eye on them, and if it is obviously a pattern, they will intervene. It may not matter to the result of your game but it might spare someone else the unpleasant experience. 

Edited by Magnus Grendel

You did the right thing.  Take the high road and do not let others soil your attitude with their actions!
For myself I generally reward fly casual with fly casual and heavy handed ness with heavy handedness.

For example, at a round 4 game of a hyperspace trial I just went too, I accidentally sent two of my A-Wings banking the wrong direction.  My opponent was gracious enough to let me change the dial because it was obvious I intended to go the other way (it was the 2nd turn of the game).  Later he made a mistake of the same kind and I graciously let him change the dial to the opposite maneuver.  Neither change won either of us the game, but the attitude of how we approached each other in that moment was one of mercy.  We both asked the other player permission for the change and humbly accepted their judgement.  On the flip side of that I have played plenty of people who have been very angry when they realized they made a mistake or had dice not go their way.  One player even threw his dice across the room!  
Its OK to call the judge over to settle disputes, there is no shame in it!  Especially on players who are not marking tokens correctly.  I don't care about missing cards but not remembering sfoils is something that cannot be allowed. 
Ultimately in all of these situations it is best to consider the event you are in, the level of that event and the ability of your competitor.  If your opponent is some kid and its round 2 in a FLGS store champ, have mercy on the guy.  If its the Top 8 cut at a Trial/System Open and some guy forgets to flip his Foils, graciously remind him that he missed his opportunity and if he wants to compete at this level he needs to remember such things.   

At the launch of 2.0, I played a guy who wasn't directly aggressive, but made it a bad experience nonetheless.

So this guy lumbers over to my table (I was the only other x wing player there) And slams down in a nearby seat, obviously not caring about store property. He asks me if I want to play a match and I oblige, setting out my list. As the store employee walks by, this guy slaps his waist and says "gimme a hot pocket" while he sets up and waits on his food, he asks if I've ever won a tournament before. I tell him I got fourth in a store championship once, and he snorts and says "that's cute" He then educates me with tales of his various successes, which I'm almost certain are false or greatly exaggerated. As our squads approached each other, his E-wing clips a rock, but he is Adamant that he didn't (he visibly scooted it with his template) we eventually roll for the verdict, which is in my favor. This guy is now staring daggers at me and visibly huffing about every setback in the game. Fast forward to the near-endgame, his VCX manages to snipe norra at range three while she's focused and at range one of an enemy. I joke that norra never rolls evades when she needs to, in an attempt to lighten the tense mood, he shoots back "Y'know, I hate it when people blame their dice" that shut me up. He later gives up when he loses corran. So now I'm just converting my 1.0 stuff and making small talk with the saint of a store attendant, when the guy offers 20$ for the first place carven angel alt art card. Yeah, not A good game.

It does suck but sometimes you gotta put someone in there place. **** that guy, I would of started tearing him apart. And I would of gotten his *** DQed for the cards. If you want to start something, you better have all sides covered.

*Plays game with super passive-aggressive guy who's being pain.

*I say, "Please excuse me for a moment."

* Approach judge at a distance and say discreetly, "My opponent is being a real passive-aggressive jerk. You think you could hover nearby for a bit? I want to call "unsporting conduct", but the way he's behaving makes it extremely difficult to call out something specific."

*Return to table and continue game with a smile on my face. Opponent looks freshly uncomfortable. 

*Judge starts hovering around. 

* Jerk shuts up. 

*Happy game. 

In Atlanta, our rallying cry is a slightly different take on fly casual. We like to say Fly Legal. We're gonna have a great time regardless of outcome, but we paid a lot of money to come to this and we deserve to play games to the best of our abilities while also meeting the full letter of the rules. 

some people dont like us for that, as you may have heard in Murray. 

My first round opponent in the Adepticon Hyperspace was a player who was in his first tournament. He was the epitome of "fly casual", picking ships off the board to complete maneuvers without marking being probably the biggest thing that was irksome.

Fortunately, he was a super nice person and otherwise a pleasure to play with, and I tried to make sure that I was as nice as possible when suggesting how to mark ships, maintain game state, etc. I was flying 5A so already probably not particularly a fun entry to tournament play and I worried that I was being too critical. I hope he learned some things and comes back to play more in the future.

I'm glad that you didn't let a NPE ruin your adepticon.  

If I was in your shoes I would have called a judge about the s-foils because he wasnt just holding you to a standard that he wasn't trying to meet.    He was creating an advantage for him self by hiding public information.

For major events I wish they would just make tokens or appropriate substitutes mandatory.  Even a scrap of paper with open or closed would have been sufficient.  

1 hour ago, SpiderMana said:

You mean like... the S-Foils card?

Yeah one would hope.   In this blog he mentioned his opponent didn't have all of his upgrade cards, so I assumed that if it wasnt clear whether the s-foils were open or not than his opponent wasnt using the token or the card.

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 5:23 AM, Kehl_Aecea said:

Yikes... that's... that's just a yikes from me. Props to you for handling it how you did. When I play with friends, depending on their experience, we play with "mulligan" tokens. I usually have one (two if I'm flying a faction or pilot I'm not familiar with) and when we botch something (use the wrong dial, forget to flip or activate a critical card, etc), we spend a mulligan token to undo the mistake when applicable. Heck, even at my store games, we usually let a mistake slide or get rolled back.

That all said, once that s-foil trickery stopped being an accidental thing to his strategy, I would've called over the TO and squashed it. I've lost games because I forgot to open/close the S-Foils

I always leave them open, because I will NOT remember to change them before flipping my dial. I just play my T-70's without barrel roll options