MidWestScrub

[Blog] The Ultimate Negative Play Experience.

Eesh, that sucks. I might have at least called him out on his attitude as compared to the leniency given him, but I don’t know that I would have gotten upset enough to get him DQ’d, either... that’s a tough spot 😕

What were you flying? I might have seen you around, I was flying 8x Vultures for the Hyperspace Trials.

2 minutes ago, Nohwear said:

It is experiences like you had that can drive players away from both the competitive scene and even the game itself.

It won't drive be away because I've been around long enough to know how rare this type of thing is, but that is definately a concern with newer players, or veterans who are tired of other aspects of the game as well. 

I commend you for being the 'bigger, better' person in a tough instance and not stooping to his level.  Its tough when something negative like this can overshadow what should be an overall enjoyable experience.  Hopefully you can focus on the positives of the weekend and chalk this one up to some jerk being a jerk. 

21 minutes ago, MidWestScrub said:

@SpiderMana I was flying Boba/Guri all weekend. 

Was your Guri the one with wings made out of 5 Starviper models? 😍 I didn’t play against you either way, though I played against somebody with an Arch Alliance shirt in Hyperspace—Maul+Wat+4 Vultures.

Sucks, Ive had a couple of them like that.

In regionals one year, I was helping my opponent remember his triggers with Old Teroch like every round, and getting an extra green die for Fenn at range 1. Then I tractor him onto a rock and he goes bananas saying I cant do that, and demands to see where it says that, and I tell him its in the FAQ, then we call a judge over and he says tractoring on a rock is allowed and has a printout of the FAQ. So I tractor the guy on a rock and then tell him he has to roll for damage and he blows up and calls the judge back over. Entire ordeal ate up the last 15 minutes of the game. Have no idea where that blow-up came from. Was first match of the day and almost ruined my mood, but luckily every other opponent I played was awesome and killed the sourness from round 1.

Just now, MidWestScrub said:

@Marinealver I definitely am not trying to imply that at all. I'm simply asking people to remember that their attitudes are important in making the gaming experience fun for everyone involved. 

9 minutes ago, TasteTheRainbow said:

Oh please. A few imports drifting through isn’t “turning into” the average 40k locals.

I understand, but I have said this before as X-wing gains more popularity it means a larger chance to get those. Also it is way easier to get into X-wing than it is to get into those build and paint games like Warhammer or Hordes.

7 minutes ago, Clutterbuck said:

What was your Boba Guri list, and what are your thoughts on it in the current environment that seems unfriendly to two ship lists?

Guri with outmanouvre, afterburners, and advanced sensors.

Boba had slave 1, perceptive co-pilot, jamming beam(why not), and proton bombs. 

14 point bid. Which was overkill.

The meta is very unfriendly to 2 ship lists. But. I think the list still has legs. You have to be very much on top of your game (which I was not this past weekend), and you really can't make any mistakes (which I did a lot of). You have to play Boba more like an ace than a tank. Leverage the flexibility of slave 1 and the boost to arc dodge. Every game goes to time or to just a few minutes before time.

Most of my games this weekend were lost by 1 hull point. And almost everything I played were meta staples. 

Posted (edited)

MWS, I feel your pain. none likes playing idiots and I'm pleased that this is the exception in our community.

I hope that the guy will get a rep soon enough and judges can be warned to monitor his behaviour in future events.

you have assessed correctly that 2 ship lists are out of favour right now with what the standard meta lists are running. I actually like ur list, seems like it needs some what to get actions to ur main guys or perhaps a cheap blocker. Loading up on upgrades is possible but you probably want a real tank that sticks around long enough to kill things... Boba is tank-ish but can melt under concentrated fire from 3-4 ships alarmingly fast.

How set are you on Guri? It feels like the list needs one more ship which will mean downgrading Guri a bit. going 3 ships doesn't leave much for am initiative bid tho so im think maybe go with Fenn Rau.

something like this looks solid.

Fett/Fenn/Lando 

Boba Fett (86)    
    Perceptive Copilot (8)    
    Proton Bombs (5)    
    Slave I (2)    
Ship total: 101  

Fenn Rau (68)    
Ship total: 68   

Lando Calrissian (Scum) (Escape Craft) (29)    
    Tactical Officer (2)    
Ship total: 31    

Total: 200    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Or you could try something like 2 Black Sun Assassins...

Fett&2Assassins

Boba Fett (86)    
    Fearless (3)    
    Perceptive Copilot (8)    
    Proton Bombs (5)      
Ship total: 102    

Black Sun Assassin (48)    
    Crack Shot (1)    
Ship total: 49     

Black Sun Assassin (48)    
    Crack Shot (1)    
Ship total: 49     

Total: 200    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Edited by Da_Brown_Bomber

15 hours ago, MidWestScrub said:

My newest blog. All about the community and N.P.E.'s. Check it out here.

A good read.

And yes, negative play experience is - regardless of what the internet would have you believe - about whether the game was fun and much of that is dependent on the other player's actions and attitude.

My favourite counterexample was actually a 40k experience at Warhammer World - normally a very cut-throat competitive setting of 40k-Throne-Of-Skulls-All-Hail-The-Great-God-Metagame.

I lost. Badly. And still had a great time. Because the other guy was really good fun to play against. Knowledgeable, rules-savvy, not cheating but not missing a trick either, but genuinely friendly and happy to banter whilst playing as best he could. Playing your hardest to win =/= win at all costs. 

This wasn't a one-off, either; because whilst he didn't come first overall he got what GW calls "Knight of the Inner Circle" - which you get for being given the favourite game vote by every single opponent you play, which he'd done (given his final scores) whilst and despite smashing about 75% of the armies he faced repeatedly and violently into wreckage. 

He hadn’t come prepared to play X-Wing, and had borrowed most of the list he was playing. But he didn’t have a few of the upgrade cards for his list. When he explained his situation, I said I didn’t really care about the upgrade cards. The points added up correctly, so no problem there as far as I was concerned. 

I've no problem about someone being short of stuff, but where that's the case our store community will lend you it for the day. You should never be going from game to game and having to tell each opponent "this list isn't actually my list".

He then proceeded to aggressively hold me to the highest standard of play I’ve ever been held to, while simultaneously refusing to use cards or tokens to indicate the status of his T-65’s S-foils, and seemingly arbitrarily declaring whether they were open or closed based on the greatest benefit to himself at that particular moment. 

That's the no-no. You can't hold someone to one standard and not do so yourself. You can be a good sportsman and still (politely) point out any infraction but you should be treating yourself the same. Assuming you mean what I think you mean by 'refusing' - you asked him to and he said 'no' - then frankly I'd have called a TO over then, because your opponent being able to see the state of your squad any time they want to is a key plank of making the game playable.

Yikes... that's... that's just a yikes from me. Props to you for handling it how you did. When I play with friends, depending on their experience, we play with "mulligan" tokens. I usually have one (two if I'm flying a faction or pilot I'm not familiar with) and when we botch something (use the wrong dial, forget to flip or activate a critical card, etc), we spend a mulligan token to undo the mistake when applicable. Heck, even at my store games, we usually let a mistake slide or get rolled back.

That all said, once that s-foil trickery stopped being an accidental thing to his strategy, I would've called over the TO and squashed it. I've lost games because I forgot to open/close the S-Foils

I think part of the lesson here is to not be afraid to politely but firmly insist on adherence to tournament regs. They're there for a reason, and it's to keep everyone honest. I think you should have called a judge to report your opponent when he reported he didn't have all the stuff he needed to actually play a game of X-Wing. I would extend this sort of leniency in a FLGS wave championship, but not at a System Open or Hyperspace Trial. 

That being said, kudos for rolling the dice on a non-meta list. It does get kinda boring seeing the same lists on GSP. Hopefully you'll do better with it next time!

That was a cruddy experience. 

It was a big event. There was actually nothing wrong with him seeking for you to hold to the rules. But his seemingly intentional sloppy play for the purpose of gaining from your lienency is just messed up.  

4 hours ago, UberMunchkin said:

Yes indeed.  I have had this exact experience in the one and only competitive X-Wing event I ever attended.  It was so bad that it completely put me off playing competitive X-Wing.  Now I just play on my kitchen table with my friends.

I encourage you to get back out into the X-Wing community, as it is one of the best parts of X-Wing. The NPEs are the exception. I can honestly say that I've only had one or two in my 1 1/2 years of playing.  

19 hours ago, Nohwear said:

It is experiences like you had that can drive players away from both the competitive scene and even the game itself.

Yeah, I have only ever been to one official tourneyment but I will never forget this ******* american/canadian who was flying ghost fenn at its peak (already a NPE experience with that list) . He had a really awful attitude and we got into a heated argument as he didn't accept the way that vessery works (getting target locks).  The TO set him straight but he guy continued being a super picky **** with a really rude manner. I got a bit upset and unfortunately I never went back to the competitive scene.   Shame. :(