RickAllison

Lightweight Frame attachment text question, restricted to only ranged weapons?

This question might be something as simple as a basic typo, but the Lightweight Frame entry from Cyphers and Masks is confusing. In just about every attachment, the final line says something to the extent of "This attachment can be applied to..." and so you could look at that sentence to know whether you could use an attachment with a given weapon. But Lightweight Frame breaks that convention if the rest of the entry is to be taken into account.

This mod reduces both the weight and bulk of ranged weapons to make them easier to handle and conceal. Along with a frame made of a lighter alloy, this mod also includes lightweight, polycarbonate stocks, foregrips, and other pieces, designed to lighten up a blaster pistol or slugthrower rifle. This attachment can be applied to any weapon.

So do I follow what seems to be the RAI of it only applying to ranged weapons, or read it like every other attachment in the game? 

It was probably intended for ranged weapons, but I have trouble seeing a huge problem with the RAW of it working with any weapon. I mean, yeah, applying it to a sledge hammer would be kinda weird, but giving up an HP for a couple less Enc isn't an unfair trade off. 

Place I'd be eyeballing this for balance is things like synergizing with the integrated holster attachment in ND. Original intent of that attachment was probably to cap out with weapons like carbines and sub-repeaters. This would allow you to pack a pair of heavy weapons like grenade launchers and sniper rifles at no Enc penalty.

12 hours ago, MrTInce said:

Based on the line before it seems to be only for ranged weapons. Making a vibrosword lighter would have make it less effective.

Not necessarily. Real world swords are made lighter through adding a fuller to the blade. This lightens the sword while maintaining, if not improving the strength of the blade.

On 4/11/2019 at 8:50 PM, penpenpen said:

You could also reinterpret (Gasp! Heresy!) the rules mechanics to represent something like a collapsible vibroaxe, a folding electrostaff, or just a set of nice, thin cortosis gauntlets.

Encumbrance isn't necessarily just weight.

I would give it some mechanic to be more susceptible to breakage (two threat can damage it a step, etc.) if it's collapsible but otherwise I'm on board with what you said Pen. I'm less of a heretic than I used to be but I am still a bit of a scandalous rule-tweaker :)