WillisRBC

Dragon Prince?

Hey guys, 

My son is really into The Dragon Prince on Netflix.  Any idea how that could be emulated using Genesys?  Making the different races would be easy enough, and the items and such that exist in the setting, but what I want to make sure I get right is how they handle magic.  In the show, Elves and other "magical" creatures can do Primal magic (nature type things as far as I can tell) because they have the spark of magic inside them.  Humans do not.  They have to use an object called a primal stone to cast spells.  However, humans are able to drain the life force of "magical" creatures to power dark magic.  

Looking forward to what you guys come up with!

Thanks in advance.

Dragon Prince would work pretty well with the generic fantasy rules and magic system. Realms of Terrinoth will be a useful supplement.

Mind you I've only seen the first season, but I don't think Humans need a focus per say, so much as havimg certain foci made certain spells easier, or obviated an environmental requirement.

For example; A mage that knows fire spells should be able to use existing sources of fire to cast spells, and (for the sake of ease) be able to perform tricks like igniting or snuffing candles and torches. A primal stone containing the quintessence of a raging forest fire would obviously allow a mage to produce a vastly greater volume of flames than a mere torch-flame.

Posted (edited)

For magical focus, you might adapt rune magic from Terrinoth: not only are runes needed to cast spells, but individual runes give special bonuses. 

As for Dark Magic, I'd make it a Talent: When a character with the talent causes wounds to a magical creature, they gain access to Primal magic for Wounds/3 turns (minimum 1). Something like that?

Edited by pocket-contents

I would watch to the end of the second season before deciding on any specific rules.

Dark Magic could definitely be described with the Rune magic rules and the Blood Magic talent from RoT, although the actual material would be reagents of various sorts instead of a single Rune.

Primal Stones would be exactly the Rune Magic system, with only 6 stones available, one for each element.

Innate Primal Magic seems a little different, they really haven’t delved into what differentiates the six different elements, only really covering Sky and Moon. There’s no doubt though that each certainly should have a different flavour. The simplest thing to do would probably be decide which spells are available to each of the the six Primal types, then decide if any of the additional effects should only be available to a specific element (Lighting to Sky for example).

It would be really important that the players of mages got a good grip on their particular element and wrote down some spell combos with flavour descriptions to help them keep to the theme of their element.

At this stage it doesn’t look to me like any existing magic users are capable of controlling more than one element, but that may change.