gareth_lazelle

Running Dark Tides & Mask of the Oni [Possible Spoilers]

Hi all,

Looks like some of you already have Mask of the Oni, so a quick query if you don't mind,

I'm looking at probably wrapping up Dark Tides this week (players depending of course), and my copy of Mask isn't due to arrive until the weekend.

I get the impression from the below thread that there are some links between the plotlines, possibly pertaining to Kitsu Sokori? Is this the case? Is there anything I should try to do to ensure that the transition between the two adventures is as easy as possible?

Many thanks,

Incidentally, is it possible to do "Spoiler tags" or something similar on this forum?

1 minute ago, gareth_lazelle said:

Thanks JasonMFlow,

I meant slightly more specifically though - are there any clues of hints I should incorporate?

MotO has a section for "If your players played Dark Tides..." and one for "If they didn't play Dark Tides..." 

It's laid out so you don't need a lot of connective tissue between the two. In my game Gaku survives Dark Tides and continues to play a part in MotO, even though it's not written that way. The main connective stuff are the rumors and leads that put the characters back onto Kitsu Sokori's path, which are all given to the GM at the front of MotO. I have a few smaller adventures set up in between the two printed mods, and it won't cause many problems from what I've seen of the beginning of the mod. I haven't read all of MotO yet, as it's still a few months from hitting my table, but I hope I've been a bit helpful.

22 hours ago, gareth_lazelle said:

Incidentally, is it possible to do "Spoiler tags" or something similar on this forum?

like this?

type in [*spoiler*] and [*/spoiler*], but without the spurious '*'

21 hours ago, JasonMFlow said:

She plays a good sized role in MotO, so I'd say keep her alive and you're good to go.

To be fair, you only ever really see her from the other side of the water heading out to sea at speed. The PCs shouldn't really have the opportunity to hurt her.

One thing I did was to get the Daylight Castle information out to the players.  I wish I would have passed this information on a lot earlier, but my players are great so no issue.  Getting this out during Dark Tides would lead naturally to MoTo and provide a smooth transition along with players wanting to go there.

There is the opportunity for a glory grab if you set it up right.  Read the first part of MoTo and you will see what I am talking about.

We did Dark Tides with the players on the boat, and as Gaku starts to 'villain exposition' he coughs blood, and the players step back as the blood animates into a hand and smother/chokes him. The blood then dissipates trailing off toward the water where they see 'a woman' with a knife plunged into her arm glaring at them as she is rowed away.

So the party never even got anything on her other than the initial line with her name.

As we started Mask, the clues they get allude to is this woman that woman, but they are still trying to figure that out.