39 minutes ago, Yepesnopes said:

What if you bring two unique allies with A Very Good tale when you have 8 already in play? You go from 8 to 10 the card won't flip?

That's how I'd play it. Of course in most cases you'd rather take only the one ally and get the Fellowship bonus.

But maybe you need to chump block first, and then conveniently you are left with nine unique characters.

On another note, something like Sudden Pitfall would be devastating to a Fellowship deck. Definitely has its weaknesses.

15 hours ago, player3351457 said:

It's definitely a new flavor on the game. Both the contract dynamic and the master player cards add some new capabilities and deck building techniques. However someone who is interested in just adding to player card depth or someone looking to jump into this game with the core set and this expansion is sure to be disappointed.

I like Merry for his ability (definitely a candidate for sneak attack during questing). I think Frodo fits well with his other fellow hobbit heroes and I would like to take some time play testing some decks with him. I'm a bit underwhelmed by Pippin -- seems like a weaker form of the the Sam hero, but I would rather play with the hero version. 

I wasnt planning on exploring the one ring dynamic so I'm a little disappointed many of the cards in the expansion surround the master element. That being said I'd rather that be the case than it appearing numerous times through the adventure packs.

For me it's the other way round. Why should I sneak in Merry, when Faramir does so usually better (more targets, less duration, but in most cases only the questing phase requires willpower). And if I plan on playing Hobbits without Lore but Tactis instead, ally Pippin is a great addition. 2 Willpower, readying and 2 Attack (4 with Tom in the first round) for only 2 ressources? Yes, please.

I agree that this expansion is probably not suited for newer players.

4 hours ago, rees263 said:

That's how I'd play it. Of course in most cases you'd rather take only the one ally and get the Fellowship bonus.

But maybe you need to chump block first, and then conveniently you are left with nine unique characters.

On another note, something like Sudden Pitfall would be devastating to a Fellowship deck. Definitely has its weaknesses.

Truth but you can still bring extra copies of each ally, so if one dies you can hopefully replace them. Or just have extra unique allies of different types anyways and the first 9 make the fellowship.