Posted (edited)

Yes, when ally Denethor came out I was just furious. I mean you have got Faramir and Denethor with the same cost and all stats the same, just the latter has one willpower more and totally negative ability, whilst the former has one of the strongest abilities in the game. And the latter comes out two years later when the encounter cards are generally tougher and the player cards generally stronger. What happened there? If the card was like that but also fetched a title attachment, then it would be more thematic and I would be happy though.

Edited by lleimmoen

I have been watching the news page closely... any update on this or the cycle at large? I was certainly very excited December of 2017 as that was my first announcement of a new cycle since I started playing... and the subsequent wait and analysis of the cards before I even played with them was part of the fun too. Now with this cycle announcement, I relive the feelings again. I hope this game has some more legs to it, it's a fun annual tradition at this point!

The biggest question I have is how the contracts work, and if they are counted as part of the player cards we receive. I can't imagine there is more than one copy of a contract, but I do expect to see them throughout this cycle. The inclusion seems to throw the numbers off. Others questions include:

What are the other cards in the box?

What is lore faramir's text?

How many "The one ring"s do we get?

With Wilds of Rhovanion, we received the announcement on December 8th, and the follow up walk through on January 31st. The announcement for this expansion was April 2nd which means we are pretty close to a follow up announcement if it follows the same pacing (no reason to believe there would be).

Or who knows, maybe @LordBird already received it. 😅

By the way, for those keeping track, the announcement of ered mithrin cycle was April 9th, 5 months and a day after the announcement of the expansion, and a little over two months from the release of the expansion. That would put the timeline around:

1. Follow up walkthrough of expansion any time now.

2. Announcement of first pack around September

3. Expansion released in November (even though it said 3Q in announcement)

20 minutes ago, Ywingscum said:

September is my birthday and I wants the one ring for my birthday 

Unfortunately, The One Ring 2nd Edition will likely not be released until December/January timeframe.

10 hours ago, CaffeineAddict said:

So what happens if I play a scenario with Smeagol as a hero, and the scenario includes a Gollum enemy?

I'm sure it'll be explained in the rule book upon release. My guess is that if you pick Smeagol to be your starting hero, then no other versions of Smeagol AND Gollum can used.

Are we still looking at a November release? I haven't seen any updates, but my pre-order is in. Can we expect this as a coming Christmas present, or what.

Just curious.

7 hours ago, Tyrion Gru said:

Are we still looking at a November release? I haven't seen any updates, but my pre-order is in. Can we expect this as a coming Christmas present, or what.

Just curious.

I am a little bit surprised there is no follow up announcement, maybe breaking down contracts or something, that also comes with the release date. Technically quarter 3 starts in two weeks. But I am not holding my breath that it comes out in July, and I'd be shocked if the release date was September or earlier. 

I'd love to be wrong, though.

So we now know Player cards 2-6 (1+ 4X3) and 9-11 (3x3) plus 72 (1) of the 29 player cards this leaves only 6 which are clearly cards 7 and 8. So shall they be attachments, events, or even potentially more allies? It's safe to say that they won't be side quests as those would come after the neutral events, but that is clearly not the case. I still prefer Leadership Faramir, but the Lore one seems really good in a ranger trap deck! Maybe we'll get a trap that plays into your engagement zone?

1 hour ago, Felswrath said:

Maybe we'll get a trap that plays into your engagement zone?

We have several. Forest Snare, Followed, and Outmatched. The latter two are tactics sphere.

3 hours ago, rees263 said:

Fellowship seems really good and not all that hard to build around.

Also feels like something that could help give thematic players a boost.

But my gosh, that's a significant boost, and one has to wonder why it's necessary. Suppose those characters have an average of 2 will power as an example. Suddenly you jump from 18 will power to 27. And that's just solo... are quests going to scale so much so that you must bring that much?

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Felswrath said:

So we now know Player cards 2-6 (1+ 4X3) and 9-11 (3x3) plus 72 (1) of the 29 player cards this leaves only 6 which are clearly cards 7 and 8. So shall they be attachments, events, or even potentially more allies? It's safe to say that they won't be side quests as those would come after the neutral events, but that is clearly not the case. I still prefer Leadership Faramir, but the Lore one seems really good in a ranger trap deck! Maybe we'll get a trap that plays into your engagement zone?

Smeagol

Frodo

The One Ring

The Master Ring

The Ruling Ring

The Ring of Power

Pippin

Merry

Faramir

Derufin

The Fellowship

My guess is it has to be attachments...

Edited by player3351457
Nevermind

Posted (edited)

Well, Fellowship also has some drawback: you are not allowed to bring more allies into play and it punishes chump blocking. And with Shadow in the East and a Core Set alone it will be very unattractive to play the contract as you will need 6 permanent allies: Hénamarth and Gléowine from the Core Set work, Beorn is really expensive, especially when you only have one tactics hero, Faramir could work, though he blocks the Lore version and Brok is, well, Brok. Both Lore allies and LeFaramir exhaust for an action and do not use their stats. On the other hand, Denethor could now defend for four without attachments.

Edited by Amicus Draconis

3 hours ago, Seosaidh said:

We have several. Forest Snare, Followed, and Outmatched. The latter two are tactics sphere.

Forest Snare plays onto an enemy engaged with you. Not into your engagement zone. Off the top of my head, I can't recall if the other two are the same. But still Ithilien Rangers work best as Lore and Leadership. I suppose Mablung is tactics, but he doesn't really fit with the trap archetype. He's better in a Dunedain deck.

It's definitely a new flavor on the game. Both the contract dynamic and the master player cards add some new capabilities and deck building techniques. However someone who is interested in just adding to player card depth or someone looking to jump into this game with the core set and this expansion is sure to be disappointed.

I like Merry for his ability (definitely a candidate for sneak attack during questing). I think Frodo fits well with his other fellow hobbit heroes and I would like to take some time play testing some decks with him. I'm a bit underwhelmed by Pippin -- seems like a weaker form of the the Sam hero, but I would rather play with the hero version. 

I wasnt planning on exploring the one ring dynamic so I'm a little disappointed many of the cards in the expansion surround the master element. That being said I'd rather that be the case than it appearing numerous times through the adventure packs.

I'm so stoked for the Master cards and the one ring, probably so much that I may skip the three cycles I need to catch up and go right for this pack. Because now I can finally recreate my dream of giving the Ring to Boromir so he can wield it against our enemies. Hahaha

Also I imagine you probably wouldn't be able to bring the One Ring in the saga campaigns with Frodo, but could you use that ring from the Sagas to play the master cards?