A lot to go over with this. Overall, I'm extremely happy and excited for this announcement. Biggest news for me is we're finally getting a One Ring player card, and it seems to be fitting and powerful. Gollum hero also is another thing I was waiting for, and more importantly it signals Caleb's willingness to cover some of the dark themes that have been missing for years in this game. Here's hoping the Rhun/East cycle finally brings some of my most expected characters, namely hero Saruman and the Blue Wizards. Also, this new Master keyword could be some sort of Doomed reboot I was waiting for for a true Artifact theme/subarchetype. Here's hoping Caleb expands on the "magic", "arts of the Enemy" doom-y artifacts themes during this cycle, as it would fit it perfectly. The expansion itself, the art and story all excite me quite a bit (love the wild ox reference in the River Running art, as it was from hte wild oxen of Rhun that the Horn of Gondor was taken). Can't be more glad for this game, and now I'm more certain than ever that right now it's the best it's ever been.

4 minutes ago, JusticeLizard said:

Play Bilbo.

I'm ok with giving us flexibility with the story.  I might like to imagine a version were. Faramir, Grimbeorn, and Brand son of Bane were at the council of Elrond instead of Boromir, Legolas, and Gimli.

Is this a player card? Okay, that makes it easier to ignore since it will be optional and won't be referred to in the game.

Well, now I just realized this is the Seventh Ring.

8 minutes ago, JusticeLizard said:

Play Bilbo.

I'm ok with giving us flexibility with the story.  I might like to imagine a version were. Faramir, Grimbeorn, and Brand son of Bane were at the council of Elrond instead of Boromir, Legolas, and Gimli.

Didn't Frodo have the ring then?  Bilbo left it behind and Frodo used it to escape being seen by the Sackville-Bagginses.  (As I recall.)

I guess the sixth AP of this new cycle will make a great christmas gift next year :D

Many surprising things in this announcement. Didn't expect Smeagol hero, but man did they put effort into him. Even though I see myself flip the table once he betrays me in the first staging...

Having the one ring become a playable attachment is a thing you would't have done. As all other "legendary" objects (Sting etc.) it is in the possession of one person (if I get the timeline right it should be Bilbo). But ofc the game would only be have as fun if you couldn't make Boromir the Steward of Gondor or equip Legolas with Anduril, so in general I am fine with giving unique things to "wrong" characters. But this is the ONE ring. And it is so often defined as the pure evil that shouldn't be used, it feels wrong to have it as a player card and not as the thing a poor guy has to endure just long enough to destroy it. I am curious if there will be a penalty for "overloading" the ring carrier? As mentioned you loose if he dies/looses the ring. And the best way to keep someone alive in this game is to buff him up with attachments. Sure you can "protect" Spirit Pippin, who only carries the ring, but can die to one unlucky EC during during questing. Put it on Boromir with blood of numenor and fire of Gondor and you are unlikely to have him killed of and loose you the game, effectively doing what the "canon" tells not to do: Give the ring to the mighty and powerful. And use with the best intentions.
Also, why call it Master? Don't we all know there is only one Master of the ring?

Mechanics wise (without looking at lore aspects) this expansion seems to be on fire with the Smeagol hero, ring attachment and contracts. Looks like to biggest gameplay addition since side-quests.

Anyone else excited to see an Indiana Jones reference in the temple of Doom quest? :D 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Bullroarer Took said:

Didn't Frodo have the ring then?  Bilbo left it behind and Frodo used it to escape being seen by the Sackville-Bagginses.  (As I recall.)

You can play him too.

I wasn't sure if it was after the party or just after the Hobbit.

Edited by JusticeLizard

I'm torn on this one.

Yesterday, I would have told you that the absolute worst thing you could do for this game (short of making Orc playable characters on the hero's side, perhaps) was to introduce a One Ring player card outside of the Saga expansions. I never really thought about Smeagol as an option, but if I had, it would not have been far behind on the list of worst things you could do.

Frankly, as of yesterday, I would have rather had the game end than introduce these player cards to the game.

But, I trust Caleb. I trust his design instincts, and I trust that just like he came around to a different point of view, so can I. I hope so, at least. The spoiled cards so far seem to indicate that he's taking the appropriate amount of care and thought with this. I hope the final product that emerges at the end of the cycle is a game as true to Tolkien's vision of his world as the game was as of yesterday.

What if the One Ring is an example of new contract card type?

I mean, it sounds like an Agenda to me, it's a card that doesn't go into your deck and is in play immediately, it alters the rules - you're gonna go 5 threat earlier, and it alters deckbuilding - offers the access to the cards you'll otherwise won't have access to.

I like the design of the one ring card. It does nothing by itself but making you lose faster but from time to time you can take a sip of its power to trigger powerful yet once shot effect.

And smeagol hero looks a great card design. Lowest threat hero in the game with a powerful "lore-ish" response ability and a built in mechanic to compensate.

And I enjoy the smeagol -bilbo comparison. 

Both lore but: 9 threat for 6 stats and passive card draws effect vs 3 threat for 9 stats and response draw card ability with 2 negative effects.

And smeagol seems working great with Beorn hero who does not exaust to defend gollum and can swing for 5 alone and in turn 1 to flip him to smeagol when needed. 

Super excited for this. I'm a big fan of being able to play "what if" decks, so I'm happy that Caleb and any other designers adding their input to the game have come around to the idea of giving us an Arkenstone, a One Ring, a Sting, even though their location is known to us at the time our game is set.  You have the freedom to build thematic decks, but having the freedom to also build wildly off-canon decks is also appealing to me and keeps the game fresh.

Also, I do love Gollum as a character, and have been wanting him as a playable card for a long time.  I love his design.  Amazed by the 3 threat!  

I like the fist Master card that we've seen.  Now you have some cancellation in any sphere you wish.  Plop that into a tactics deck, cancel a location and hope for an enemy to replace it.  

It's definitely great news as a new player. One just to have more content coming to make sure I do invest in more packs, and boxes as I see them knowing more is coming and just to be able to grab an expansion from the start of its cycle and follow it through to its conclusion. That's going to be a lot of fun to follow. So I'm looking forward to see what the new pieces included are going to be and how it all plays out, and likely hope that being towards mordor location wise it isn't going to bring the game to an end just as I get my first experience of a cycle!

39 minutes ago, GrandSpleen said:

I like the fist Master card that we've seen.  Now you have some cancellation in any sphere you wish.  Plop that into a tactics deck, cancel a location and hope for an enemy to replace it.  

Me too, looks super powerful. Their are some real nasty enemies you can outright discard like the Mûmak. And because you start with it in your hand and it costs "0" you can cancel some nasty effect that would have triggered during setup.

2 hours ago, Bullroarer Took said:

Merry discovered the ring when he observed Bilbo using to escape the Sackville-Baggins.  This was before the party, of course, when the ring was left for Frodo.

In the period between the party and Frodo leaving the shire no one but Frodo had the ring.  No one but Bilbo had Sting or the Mithril Shirt.  No one had the Arkenstone or Orcrist.  Cirdan hadn't had his ring for ages.  And Eowyn turned six years old at the time of the party.  Every player has the option of indulging in alt-history or constructing decks that would only be thematically correct for 3001-3017.  Personally I wish they hadn't restricted the game to that narrow space, and I feel most cycles could reasonably be set earlier than 3001.

I do think it's fitting that Gollum will be one of the heroes who *can't* have the Ring.  (I think Beorn is the only other.)

3 hours ago, 987654321 said:

Is this a player card? Okay, that makes it easier to ignore since it will be optional and won't be referred to in the game.

Well, now I just realized this is the Seventh Ring.

I was at first really disappointed by this, because I've really wanted a Rhun cycle, and this was "ruined" for me by the fact that I thought the Ring was an objective card and that this cycle was just an alternative to the events of LOTR. While it's still not really possible in the Canon, I like the fact that it is just a player card and that I can just ignore it. On the other hand, while I don't think that I will use it much, I could see having some fun with it. Maybe I can even go full Decipher style and have it turn up in the Rohan and Gondor missons of the saga boxes! 😂(Since discovering this game, I'm utterly struck by how that game pales in comparison to this one! About the only thing that I like about it was seeing some of the movie stills, especially the ones from the scenes that didn't even make the extended cuts.) 

What a fascinating expansion. The Smeagol/Gollum mechanic looks very interesting, and the setting is great. I know a lot of people wanted the Shire but this seems a good pick too.

And the Ring? Wow. The ability is fitting and I'm not against it being in the game, but I have to be honest I feel a certain uneasiness at the weight of responsibility should you put it in your deck. The shadows seem that much closer, that much darker...

Someone mentioned the hope of the travelling Wizards being in this set and the thought made me squeal on the inside, that would be awesome.

It's going to be a long time before I get to this set, but man what a fun direction. Looking forward to it!

What do you think the other hero is in this set? It's likely not one of the blue wizards as it would seem kind of odd to have one in a deluxe and one in an AP. It could be Saruman. Possibly a new version of Frodo or Sam. My honest hope is that we get another character from the Outlands with the Gondor trait. We don't really have many Gondor Warrior heroes, and another one would be nice!

1 hour ago, Felswrath said:

What do you think the other hero is in this set? It's likely not one of the blue wizards as it would seem kind of odd to have one in a deluxe and one in an AP. It could be Saruman. Possibly a new version of Frodo or Sam. My honest hope is that we get another character from the Outlands with the Gondor trait. We don't really have many Gondor Warrior heroes, and another one would be nice!

Those would all be good ideas! 

Well we were told that the two heroes from the collectors edition will be in a future cycle, which assuming it's this one, would leave 5 unaccounted for heroes. Two blue wizards in adventure packs and a new Frodo for the final pack. Which leaves hopefully Saruman for the other hero in the deluxe. Would be a cool theme having the original White Wizard as a neutral hero to take us into Mordor. 

Oh wait that's only 4, I guess we need a new Boromir then with the ability: "After Boromir participates in an attack that destroys an enemy, add 1 resource to his resource pool." 

And then best of all the flavor text: "One does not simply walk into Mordor."

1 minute ago, GILLIES291 said:

Well we were told that the two heroes from the collectors edition will be in a future cycle,

IIRC, we weren't told that they'd come in a cycle,  just that they would show up in a regular lotr lcg product. I think that the best odds are on the starter set as a standalone product with regular art, separate from the collectors edition

7 minutes ago, GILLIES291 said:

Well we were told that the two heroes from the collectors edition will be in a future cycle, which assuming it's this one, would leave 5 unaccounted for heroes. Two blue wizards in adventure packs and a new Frodo for the final pack. Which leaves hopefully Saruman for the other hero in the deluxe. Would be a cool theme having the original White Wizard as a neutral hero to take us into Mordor. 

Oh wait that's only 4, I guess we need a new Boromir then with the ability: "After Boromir participates in an attack that destroys an enemy, add 1 resource to his resource pool." 

And then best of all the flavor text: "One does not simply walk into Mordor."

We could get Thorin Stonehelm in the Deluxe. We haven't seen a tactics hero in a non-saga deluxe since the Angmar cycle.

16 minutes ago, Onidsen said:

IIRC, we weren't told that they'd come in a cycle,  just that they would show up in a regular lotr lcg product. I think that the best odds are on the starter set as a standalone product with regular art, separate from the collectors edition

I'd like to see the starter set as a standalone product, I think it would make an excellent introduction to the game and it complements a single core quite well.  However, the announcement said "These heroes will eventually enter The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game through standard products", and I don't think the hypothetical starters set would either be a standard product or qualify for the plural.  There's no guarantee they'll be in the same cycle, of course.