Sign in to follow this  
ADGabriel

Status and hierarchy question

I have been playing for some time, and I have doubts about the hierarchy between the imperial families and the chosen ones of the emperor, who has more power? Who has more authority? If someone can reply, thank you very much.

By the "chosen of the emperor", I'm assuming you mean the Emerald Champion, the Imperial Advisor and the like. It actually varies. The Emerald Champion wields enormous power, being not just the Emperor's champion, but also the Empire's chief magistrate, the commander of the Imperial Legions and the head of a big chunk of the Imperial bureaucracy (not bad for a position generally selected by a sword-fight, when you think about it). So the EC is...well, far more powerful, and has much higher status, than anyone except the Emperor himself. Now, the EC generally doesn't actually DO all those jobs, and delegates a lot of it. But the authority being delegated is his/hers.

The Imperial Advisor is also extremely powerful, but in a much "softer" way. The Advisor oversees some of the bureaucracy, if memory serves (at least, they did in the old lore; I wrote that part of the old "Secrets of the Empire" book, about the Imperial bureaucracy, and I seem to remember assigning some of the bureaucracy to the Advisor...but I might be wrong and don't have the book handy to look it up). However, the Advisor has direct and immediate access to the Emperor, and can (potentially, at least; it would depend on the particular Emperor) influence the decisions that come from the Throne is pretty fundamental ways.

I'm not sure if we currently have an Imperial Treasurer; it's really a much more bureaucratic position, though, so is powerful within a pretty narrow set of boundaries dealing with things like taxation, monetary policy, etc.

We don't have a Jade Champion or Shogun currently (frankly, I'm not sure if the latter position is even recognized in the new lore...I don't recall it being mentioned anywhere, but again, I could be wrong).

The Imperial families, OTOH, are also quite powerful in their own ways. None of them really come close to the clout of the Emerald Champion, but the Otomo are firmly embedded in the bureaucracy, the Seppun are responsible for the safety and welfare of the Emperor and his family, and the Miya are the Emperor's "eyes, ears and voice" throughout the Empire. The daimyo of each of these families has access to the Emperor similar to that of the Advisor, so has (again, at least potentially) similar power and status.

Does this help?

19 hours ago, ADGabriel said:

I have been playing for some time, and I have doubts about the hierarchy between the imperial families and the chosen ones of the emperor, who has more power? Who has more authority? If someone can reply, thank you very much.

It really relies on how each clan leverages that access and power they have.  Though the Imperial families sit above the Great Clans officially, their power is dependent on what the Emperor is going to allow them to have.  As the Imperial Families have immediate royal blood, giving them too much power can be detrimental to the Emperor as it can allow for military coups.  At the same time, they still need to be able to defend the Emperor (and themselves) against the Great Clans.  This is a bit of a fine line with some families like the Miya who have a reputation of being hostages.

Posted (edited)

It also depends on the situation. Who has more power in what situation?

The line of feudal authority runs

Heaven > Emperor > Clan Champion > Clan Family Daimyo > Clan Provincial Daimyo > Samurai from that province, so whilst a Miya or Otomo courtier may be an honoured guest in some rural castle, they're not supposed to be giving the clan samurai there orders

By comparison, in terms of defining imperial law (which is nominally binding on everyone in the empire) the Imperial Families are pretty much unchallengable, since even if a clan wins the debate in court and sets the policy on a new law, it'll be the scribes and scholars of the Imperial Families who actually write the wording, replete with carefully hidden loopholes. 

In terms of raw 'status', check page 306 of the rulebook.

Daimyo of Imperial Families are considered higher status than a Great Clan Champion, as are most posts with "Imperial" in their title. A generic Imperial Family samurai, less so (Emerald Empire starts a no-name Otomo, Miya or Seppun samurai as status 40, equivalent to most magistrates).

16 hours ago, DGLaderoute said:

I'm not sure if we currently have an Imperial Treasurer; it's really a much more bureaucratic position, though, so is powerful within a pretty narrow set of boundaries dealing with things like taxation, monetary policy, etc.

We don't have a Jade Champion or Shogun currently (frankly, I'm not sure if the latter position is even recognized in the new lore...I don't recall it being mentioned anywhere, but again, I could be wrong).

The list of Imperial posts in the status section are:

• The Emperor (Currently Hantei Jodan, Hantei XXXVIII)
  • The Imperial Spouse (Currently Hantei Hochiahime)
  • The Voice Of The Emperor (??? in previous editions of the game this was the emperor's personal diplomat, but since the post came into being post Scorpion Coup, wasn't Imperial Family)
  • The Emperor's Children (Currently Hantei Sotorii and Hantei Daisetsu)
  • The Emerald Champion (Currently Akodo Toturi)
  • The Jade Champion (vacant)
  • The Imperial Advisor (Currently Bayushi Kachiko)
  • The Imperial Chancellor (Currently Kakita Yoshi)
  • The Imperial Herald (not known but traditionally Miya Family Daimyo)
  • The Imperial Treasurer (not known)
Edited by Magnus Grendel

1 hour ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

My census data reckons that Miya Satoshi is the Imperial Herald, although I'm not entirely sure where I picked up that tidbit.

As noted, it's traditionally the Miya Daimyo. Satoshi is the Miya Daimyo, so it can be assumed.

On 4/3/2019 at 10:03 PM, Tonbo Karasu said:

My census data reckons that Miya Satoshi is the Imperial Herald, although I'm not entirely sure where I picked up that tidbit.

You are right. Maybe you picked it up in the short story "Flying Chariot, Standing" that has been released. It depicts a meeting between a Unicorn Courtier and the Imperial Herald.