Sign in to follow this  
Zero Wolf

Do you NEED to close gates?

If a player explores another realm are they obligated to attempt to close the gate?

Example;

You are in the second area of an other realm, a monster appears. You need to evade it because its a Gug. You need to spend 1 (of 5) clue tokens to add a die to your evade roll. You return from the gate in the Silver Twilight Lodge with only 4 clue tokens. Can you choose not to close the gate and stay there, holding onto your explored marker, and have arkham encounters until one appears that gives you clue tokens that will allow you to close and seal the gate?

The rules are vague about whether you HAVE TO try and close an explored gate. Its clear that if you leave the area you lose your explored status. Any insight?

as far as i remember, when you get out the gate, you get an exploration mark/token. If you leave the location with the gate, you loose that exp. mark. SO there is a possibility how not to close a gate :) If it's written bit confusing in the rules, i think this is the correct way howto play :)

Zero Wolf said:

Example;

You are in the second area of an other realm, a monster appears. You need to evade it because its a Gug. You need to spend 1 (of 5) clue tokens to add a die to your evade roll. You return from the gate in the Silver Twilight Lodge with only 4 clue tokens. Can you choose not to close the gate and stay there, holding onto your explored marker, and have arkham encounters until one appears that gives you clue tokens that will allow you to close and seal the gate?

You are not forced to attempt to close the gate. However, as long as the gate is open, your Arkham Encounter option is close/no close, you won't draw any encounter cards. Sitting on a gate might be reasonable if another investigator can reach your location and give you an Elder Sign or Research Materials for example.

As above, or if "Coded Messages" is faceup, or if Patrice is in the game, and you need her to get that one or two more clues. Those are the only ways you can delay and hope for the seal. As mentioned, you cannot sit and draw encounter cards.

Alternatively, you could be attempting a close gate victory, and therefore sitting on the gate instead of closing it, hoping that a gate opens at your location, thereby causing a monster surge, but not a new gate. These are generally plausible strategies. However, it is usually better to just close the gate, even without sealing. The time you saved could be better spent blessing another investigator or collecting clues.

Innsmouth13 said:

You use clue tokens to SEAL gates, not to close them.  You just have to pass a Fight or Lore check to close the gate.  Its in the rules, I just don't remember the page.

But if you fail your check to close a gate you can spend clues to roll more dice (as with any skill check).

You are not obligated to try and close the gate. The rules use the word "may".

Your options are to attempt to close, attempt to seal, do nothing or leave. If you leave you loose the explored marker of course.

This isn't about the difference between closing and sealing, I get that. my question was if you've explored the gate can you choose to have an Arkham Encounter there as opposed to trying to close the gate if you stay on the location with your explored marker(during the Arkham Encounter phase). The other response above makes sense that you would not. Again, I feel like the rules were vague about your options as far as having the explored marker(besides losing it if you leave the location).

Zero Wolf said:

This isn't about the difference between closing and sealing, I get that. my question was if you've explored the gate can you choose to have an Arkham Encounter there as opposed to trying to close the gate if you stay on the location with your explored marker(during the Arkham Encounter phase). The other response above makes sense that you would not. Again, I feel like the rules were vague about your options as far as having the explored marker(besides losing it if you leave the location).

Like I mentioned in the other thread, when your Phase 3 Arkham Encounters rolls around, you follow either "Gate" or "No Gate" paragraph from the rules. Since you're sitting on a gate, you follow the Gate paragraph, which gives you the option of closing the gate if you so choose. Encounters (drawing cards or using an alternate ability) are under No Gate.

Listen to Dam.  He and Avi_dreader know this game very well.  I agree with Dam, you can't do anything at a location with a gate but go through it, explore the other world, come back, and try and close and/or seal it.