Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Thraug

FFG live: April 2nd, 2pm est

Recommended Posts

How did it look in action?  (Also, is there any issue with the plastic pieces that overlap the base in the front and back?  If I have to regularly remove the model from the base to play, that's going to make me sad.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Weyoun42 said:

How did it look in action?  (Also, is there any issue with the plastic pieces that overlap the base in the front and back?  If I have to regularly remove the model from the base to play, that's going to make me sad.)

They flew a MC80 close to it, and removed the MC80 from the stand. I think in the long run, it will just boil down to, dont really fly close to the SSD. Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Weyoun42 said:

How did it look in action?  (Also, is there any issue with the plastic pieces that overlap the base in the front and back?  If I have to regularly remove the model from the base to play, that's going to make me sad.)

By virtue of "my two foot long super star destroyer is on two bases and pegs," I personally believe that any ships on only one base and peg should be the ones getting removed from their base if model overlap happens, instead of the SSD.

Taking the SSD off its pegs without shifting it too much or knocking stuff over in the process could be a nightmare otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BiggsIRL said:

Thank  goodness.

Honestly though I don't know how I like it. At this point I find myself saying, why take it? No defensive means this thing is going to be VERY hard to make useful in a 400 point format. We've played it 4 or 5 times and even with tua, it still lost quite often... 

No defense and gaining half the ships value for half the hull means this thing is an anchor around your neck. 

I don't know, I wanna trust them with all the play testing they've done, but my instinct is telling me it's basically DoA in the 400 point format. Maybe good a at max squads, I won my match like that, but I really don't know. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Darth, for me just for the fun of playing it, and against it. For now, I dont think competitively. And if it would be unbeatable, many people would be angry and question it even more.

When it gives fun club nights, its great. And the kid loves it in any case.

Edited by NebulonB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NebulonB said:

Darth, for me just for the fun of playing it, and against it. For now, I dont think competitively. And if it would be unbeatable, many people would be angry and question it even more.

When it gives fun club nights, its great. And the kid loves it in any case.

I mean don't get me wrong, I'm buying 2 still lol 

I just.... IDK... I feel the odds are stacked against it. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Darth Sanguis Yeah totally agree. Before the stream I was already afraid that the SSD might be a little on the weak side but now with the half point and Tua nerf I am thoroughly underwhelmed.

Everyone is saying they don't see the ship competitively or would rather have it underpowered instead of overpowered but I don't see why I can't have the same expectation for this ship that I have for every other new ship, namely that it will be neither overpowered nor underpowered but well balanced.

I think for me as a player an underpowered SSD would be equally disappointing as an overpowered one and I think that is a fair position to take.

 

(still gonna get one though...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Darth Sanguis said:

I mean don't get me wrong, I'm buying 2 still lol 

I just.... IDK... I feel the odds are stacked against it. 

 

Here is my current SSD love child:

Ravage SSD 
Author: Clontroper5

Faction: Galactic Empire
Points: 314/400  

Commander: Moff Jerjerrod

Assault Objective: Custom Objective
Defense Objective: Custom Objective
Navigation Objective: Custom Objective

 

[ flagship ] Star Dreadnought Assault Prototype (250 points)
-  Moff Jerjerrod  ( 23  points) 
 Ravager  ( 4  points) 
-  Defense Liaison  ( 3  points) 
-  Wulff Yularen  ( 7  points) 
-  Agent Kallus  ( 3  points) 
-  Gunnery Team  ( 7  points) 
-  Quad Battery Turrets  ( 5  points) 
-  H9 Turbolasers  ( 8  points) 
-  Leading Shots  ( 4  points) 
= 314 total ship cost

 

With Ravager Con Fire and QBT you can get +3 dice to any attack at any range, this means regularly oneshoting corvettes at long range out the front or medium range In the side (out the front, 5 reds plus QBT plus 2 reds from Confire, paired with H9 is flipping deadly) JJ makes it far more maneuverable than it deserves and you can use Defense liaison to switch commands if a situation comes up where you don't want a Confire, wulff is optional (dco may be better) 

Anyway I have played it a couple times and it is really fun. Has more finesse then I thought it would though 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Darth Sanguis said:

I mean don't get me wrong, I'm buying 2 still lol 

I just.... IDK... I feel the odds are stacked against it. 

 

I didnt take any issues, oc! On the contrary, I respect the experience you obviously have with it.

Just adding a voice that doesnt demand ultra competitiveness. 

And yeah, sure its fair to expect balancedness. Lets see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The half point seems almost necessary to me.  Otherwise, your opponent has a huge incentive to be risk averse and not engage, if there's even a small chance they fear they won't be able to destroy it.  In a casual game, they'll go for it, but for tournament play, it might have created some unfun situations.  We all want to roll die and blow stuff up.

I am glad it seemed to be actually maneuvering - it might take some practice but that's such a huge part of the game.  Very fun to watch stream and very interesting comments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, xanderf said:

Hopefully we get a third party knocking out a clear acrylic stand that looks like FFG's, but say 3/4" taller.  And maybe with some slight cross-supports to help with the wobbling a bit.

Or we lobby them NOW to fix it before we get it. 

Would be nice to not have overlap. Would be a clean product design. 

 

Also, some very sturdy mounts (unlike epics in Xwing, which have weak points of contact, making it easy to snap pegs off)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also to add to my previous comment. Let's pretend for a moment the SSD will be not that strong (competitive) of a ship. Just imagine that someone asks you about Armada and you tell them "And we even have this AWESEOME SSD mini in the game. But unfortunately it is actually not that good..." Just imagine how **** and disappointing that would feel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LordCola said:

Also to add to my previous comment. Let's pretend for a moment the SSD will be not that strong (competitive) of a ship. Just imagine that someone asks you about Armada and you tell them "And we even have this AWESEOME SSD mini in the game. But unfortunately it is actually not that good..." Just imagine how **** and disappointing that would feel.

less disappointing than, "Yeah, we have the SSD. Its overpowered and makes my smaller ships pretty obsolete. It also costs $200". 

Also, its the SSD, people are going to try and make it work. 

 

-----

 

Frankly though, I can agree and sympathize with your feelings. 

I wish the darn thing was more flexible. Its going to basically encourage max squads to bolster its attack mobility. (And GT if it can take it). I kind of wish they made the arcs overlap, so you could get double arcs and things more often. Or turret style weapons

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, clontroper5 said:

Here is my current SSD love child:

Ravage SSD 
Author: Clontroper5

Faction: Galactic Empire
Points: 314/400  

Commander: Moff Jerjerrod

Assault Objective: Custom Objective
Defense Objective: Custom Objective
Navigation Objective: Custom Objective

 

[ flagship ] Star Dreadnought Assault Prototype (250 points)
-  Moff Jerjerrod  ( 23  points) 
 Ravager  ( 4  points) 
-  Defense Liaison  ( 3  points) 
-  Wulff Yularen  ( 7  points) 
-  Agent Kallus  ( 3  points) 
-  Gunnery Team  ( 7  points) 
-  Quad Battery Turrets  ( 5  points) 
-  H9 Turbolasers  ( 8  points) 
-  Leading Shots  ( 4  points) 
= 314 total ship cost

 

With Ravager Con Fire and QBT you can get +3 dice to any attack at any range, this means regularly oneshoting corvettes at long range out the front or medium range In the side (out the front, 5 reds plus QBT plus 2 reds from Confire, paired with H9 is flipping deadly) JJ makes it far more maneuverable than it deserves and you can use Defense liaison to switch commands if a situation comes up where you don't want a Confire, wulff is optional (dco may be better) 

Anyway I have played it a couple times and it is really fun. Has more finesse then I thought it would though 

Nice. 

I plan on putting the SSD through the crucible of our local group. Maybe it'll surprise me.  

Most of the answers we got I was expecting the opposite. 
-I thought for sure Tua would work (auto include in my book).
-motti would be errata'd to help
-Auxiliary arcs would gain the same benefits of side arcs...
-Solid huge base instead of 2 large bases
-Full destruction required for points

Just... oof....

The only things that went as expected were the deployment and movement rules. 

Oh well.... I guess I'm less worried about these rules at 400 as I am at sector fleet point totals. No ECM at a 1200 point level means you had better be ready to lose it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I think a list will be discovered where the SSD is at the very least semi viable if not viable it will probably just take time.

Edited by xero989

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Blail Blerg said:

less disappointing than, "Yeah, we have the SSD. Its overpowered and makes my smaller ships pretty obsolete. It also costs $200". 

Yeah but that's what I am saying. It doesn't have to bei either and I think that is fair to expect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, LordCola said:

Yeah but that's what I am saying. It doesn't have to bei either and I think that is fair to expect.

You must be new to gaming in general.

There is no, "everything is balanced, 100% and its wonderful". Regardless of video games, board games, sports games, ect. There will always be, "This works better or worse than the other things." If it was any more powerful than it is now, then people would say its too powerful, some people would still say it wasn't powerful enough.

 

and understanding that... is balance.

Edited by Ling27

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Derpzilla88 said:

By virtue of "my two foot long super star destroyer is on two bases and pegs," I personally believe that any ships on only one base and peg should be the ones getting removed from their base if model overlap happens, instead of the SSD.

Taking the SSD off its pegs without shifting it too much or knocking stuff over in the process could be a nightmare otherwise.

But when overlapping another SSD.....?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I didn't watch and haven't seen this question pop up (unless I'm not reading the above correctly)...

Can you fly *under* the SSD? If the base is two larges with a gap in the middle... I'd love to park my MC30 right beneath that thing and let the side arcs roar!

Edit: WAIT! It's one piece of cardboard, right? I'll see myself out...

Edited by IronNerd
Edit: I'm not smart today

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...