tsondaboy

FFG extended art is not ALT ART, bring back the movies stills!

Posted (edited)

Like the title says, the recent tournament/wave kit ALT ARTS leave much to be desired.
More is better is not always a wise choice, and it seems FFG has gone down the path of quantity over quality.
I seriously question FFG's decision to flood us with "ALT ART's" that are nothing more than an extended version of the cards people already have.
Surprisingly (?), the consensus in my local community is that they actually deter tournament participation. I have heard the comment "nah it doesn't worth my time to spend all day in a tournament just to get an extended version of a card I already have" numerous times by now. People need to be motivated to participate by giving them the chance to get a card they are actually craving for.
Even I as a TO don't see the point in slowly changing all my basic cards to extended version "ALT ART's" that seem to be readily available in the kits.
I am craving for some movie stills, like the ones we used to get 4-5 years ago. Even the Han Solo movie still that was not all that popular is far better than the majority of the extended art card we get now (not to mention Jess.......🤢).

So please FFG, give us something worth competing for!

Edited by tsondaboy

2 hours ago, tsondaboy said:

I have heard the comment "nah it doesn't worth my time to spend all day in a tournament just to get an extended version of a card I already have" numerous times by now. People need to be motivated to participate by giving them the chance to get a card they are actually craving for.

I mean.

It sounds like your locals don't actually enjoy tournaments.

4 hours ago, tsondaboy said:

I have heard the comment "nah it doesn't worth my time to spend all day in a tournament just to get an extended version of a card I already have" numerous times by now. People need to be motivated to participate by giving them the chance to get a card they are actually craving for.

The amount of people who don't even enjoy playing this game anymore is too **** high, what on earth is going on? 

Me, I don't even use my promo cards as 90% of them are horizontal positioned pilots, and I've got myself card organiser trays that can only accommodate portrait positioned pilots.

24 minutes ago, tsondaboy said:

If memory serves the last one produced was in the winter 2014 kit?
So they stopped 5 years ago?

They had movie still cards for Poe and Rey, so later than that surely.

That said, the Heroic alt art looks so good I originally thought it was a movie still.

Posted (edited)

in type1 i was super excited to get movie stills 0f wedge, luke and chewie and biggs. i missed han but i really wanted it. then 2.0 hot and all my alt art stuff was kind useless.

2.0 alt art stuff isnt a priority for me at all so im not really playing in a tourney to get that stuff unless its actually in my current squad and even then its not a huge deal.

Edited by Da_Brown_Bomber

1 hour ago, Green Knight said:

I  HATE alt art.

Much easier to see what everything is if people could just stick to the default cards.

I HATE cards.

I use a printout from YASB (with full text for reference) and have the cards in my backpack if someone wants to check them for some reason. It makes it so much more practical when moving around, and it takes very little space on the table.

I do not need movie stills, but the prize cards being, essentially, the same as the default cards is pretty underwhelming. Someone offered me an extra that they had last week and I turned it down because I was already packed up for the night and I did not feel like flipping through my stack of cards to add it in. In the last edition, all of the alt arts were exciting and fun to use and trade. Now, I see no value in simply changing to a horizontal orientation.

I do not think that wanting better prizes indicates a lack of enjoyment while playing the game.

I packed all my desire for alt art away with 1.0. So far the .0 alt arts have been pretty borring anyways, so that makes the descision so much easier :). 

While so far I can’t fault anyone for their opinions in this thread, I will say that one thing I do like about the current string of alt extended- art cards is that most of them have the full scale picture on the back of the card with no overlaying text. So if you want to decorate your binder with it or whatever you can. 

For a while, I mistook my apathy regarding prizes as my dislike of the game. Fortunately, I realized that the game is a blast, and I don't need prizes to enjoy it.

Now my problem is that I don't sleeve my cards, except for the prize cards in case I want to sell/trade them later, so I have only a handful of sleeved cards throughout my collection, which is a bit obnoxious. Completely my own problem, though, so not complaining, just sharing how I do things.

10 hours ago, tsondaboy said:

If memory serves the last one produced was in the winter 2014 kit?
So they stopped 5 years ago?

Hmm...the order for the clone army was placed about 5 years ago *gets shot by Jango Fett*

13 hours ago, svelok said:

It sounds like your locals don't actually enjoy tournaments.

2 hours ago, Parakitor said:

Fortunately, I realized that the game is a blast, and I don't need prizes to enjoy it.

This was my basic reaction last night, but I didn't post for fear of being controversial (again).

But, it's supposed to be a hobby you do just for the sake of doing it, no?

13 hours ago, AceWing said:

Movie stills don't have anything on this sweet *** alternate art card from the Stele Open. I would play my heart out for as many pilots as I could get my hands on.

1_656f44835d1320fc3403b6bd86878a7e.jpg

I do like the old Topps baseball cards that this looks like.

I never got the allure of the movie still alt arts. They always looked really weird next to everything else in the game being rendered or drawn images. I still have a bunch of the Scimitar ones, but that's just because I ran Scimitars a lot. I gave the rest away because they looked awful.

I don't think they've done damage to competitive play by offering something for casual play. It doesn't stop anyone playing casually. There will likely be much better prizes for winning store championships and such. I imagine spot-gloss cards will be in a lot of those packs, judging by the Destiny prizes for the last while, and various acrylics will undoubtedly make a comeback.

It'll all be fine. I'm sure someone will take the bad card off your hands.

Dibs on the new Scimitar Bomber, if it's going.