Sign in to follow this  
ImperialOfficer

Afterburners Timing

So I know this might be somewhere already, but I've searched and haven't found it yet.  

We had a situation come up this weekend with Afterburners.  

The card says after you fully complete the maneuver, but does the boost or barrel go into the action queue? 

If you are declaring that you will be using afterburners, can you do a different action first, and then afterburners?  

Haven't found the rule on this detailed anywhere. 

The Afterburners free boost action does enter the ability queue, but that queue must be completed prior to moving on to the Perform Action step.

@Imperial officer In the Rules Reference (1.0.2) on page 18 under Timing you will find this bullet point:

After: The effect resolves immediately following the timing specified.

The next timing window following "after fully executing your maneuver" would be "before your perform action step" which is defined by this bullet point (also under Timing :) )

Before: The effect resolves immediately preceding the timing specified.

And for completeness, here's the steps you follow during a ship activation (found on p3) each of these steps has all of the timing windows that are defined on p18.

1. Reveal Dial: The ship’s assigned dial is Revealed by flipping it faceup and then placing it next to its ship card.
2. Execute Maneuver: The ship executes the maneuver selected on the revealed dial.
3. Perform Action: The ship may perform one action.

Edited by nitrobenz
Ninja'd by follow up question :p added completeness

Is this the same time window, as with e.g. Anakin Skywalker's ability and aethersprite's Fine-Tuned Controls?

So, if Anakin has aferburners, after some manouver, he could use afterburners or Fine-Tuned Controls (order of actions irrelevant) and then a normal action?

And, if the manouver was red, we add Anakin's ability into the hereinabove queue?

And, the most important (this has been answered elsewhere, but I think adding it here could be valuable) - does Anakin get stress token right after executing a red manouver, and thus he cannot use Fine-Tuned Controls after such manouver?

22 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

If you add Advanced Sensors as well I suspect Dalan has even more potential endpoints that echo.

echo has six on each side, two forwards and not decloaking before maneuver, plus another three on each side and not barrel rolling after maneuver.

that's 15 possibilities in systems phase, times seven follow ups during activation. so 105 possibilities.

dalan with advanced sensors and afterburners has six on each side and three forwards before manuever with no possible reposition after maneuver.

afterburners then gives him the option of boosting and barrel rolling, giving him an immense number of possible positioning options, 36 if he boosts first and barrel rolls after that, plus the three for just boosting, plus 36 for barrel rolling and then boosting, plus 12 from just barrel rolling. also, there is one position for not repositioning. that's 15 for advanved sensors and 98 with afterburners, for a total of 113.

if you want to consider which way dalan is facing as part of his position, just multiply that by four for a total of 452 options.

in other words, dalan has more options than echo even without advanced sensors but with afterburners. only twice per game, though - and he gets stresded by turning around.

at least i think so. i just threw that together in my head. :)

2 minutes ago, Jedu said:

Is this the same time window, as with e.g. Anakin Skywalker's ability and aethersprite's Fine-Tuned Controls?

So, if Anakin has aferburners, after some manouver, he could use afterburners or Fine-Tuned Controls (order of actions irrelevant) and then a normal action?

And, if the manouver was red, we add Anakin's ability into the hereinabove queue?

And, the most important (this has been answered elsewhere, but I think adding it here could be valuable) - does Anakin get stress token right after executing a red manouver, and thus he cannot use Fine-Tuned Controls after such manouver?

Correct.  You can resolve afterburners, anakin, and FTC in any order as they all have the same trigger.

15 minutes ago, meffo said:

echo has six on each side, two forwards and not decloaking before maneuver, plus another three on each side and not barrel rolling after maneuver.

that's 15 possibilities in systems phase, times seven follow ups during activation. so 105 possibilities.

dalan with advanced sensors and afterburners has six on each side and three forwards before manuever with no possible reposition after maneuver.

afterburners then gives him the option of boosting and barrel rolling, giving him an immense number of possible positioning options, 36 if he boosts first and barrel rolls after that, plus the three for just boosting, plus 36 for barrel rolling and then boosting, plus 12 from just barrel rolling. also, there is one position for not repositioning. that's 15 for advanved sensors and 98 with afterburners, for a total of 113.

if you want to consider which way dalan is facing as part of his position, just multiply that by four for a total of 452 options.

in other words, dalan has more options than echo even without advanced sensors but with afterburners. only twice per game, though - and he gets stresded by turning around.

at least i think so. i just threw that together in my head. :)

Did you take into acount that the order of boost and barelroll doesn't mater if the boost is straigt (as in the same end position)?

Still, a lot of options for sure :)

1 hour ago, Smuggler said:

Did you take into acount that the order of boost and barelroll doesn't mater if the boost is straigt (as in the same end position)?

Still, a lot of options for sure :)

no. >_< :)

hey! i should matter. remember you're using the bank template to barrel roll.

Edited by meffo

3 hours ago, Jedu said:

To answer this last question as well: yes, the stress token is given during the last step of "fully executing a maneuver" which will inherently block using FTC. Do note however that Afterburners is still usable while stressed and because it has the same trigger as Anakin's ability it can be placed ahead in the queue. This allows you to boost w/AB into a position where Anakin will trigger stress removal, which will then allow you to use FTC for a Barrel Roll :)

Edited by nitrobenz
Proofread

22 hours ago, meffo said:

, plus 36 for barrel rolling and then boosting, 

I don't believe Dalan has any way to barrel roll before he boosts.  Also, only three rotation options; he can't rotate 180.

However, consider the following: his ability triggers at the same timing as Afterburners, so they can go into the queue in either order, yes...?

Also, give him Daredevil.

35 minutes ago, lordvorkon said:

I don't believe Dalan has any way to barrel roll before he boosts.  Also, only three rotation options; he can't rotate 180.

However, consider the following: his ability triggers at the same timing as Afterburners, so they can go into the queue in either order, yes...?

Also, give him Daredevil.

that's all true. maybe i should actually bother to calculate this properly. :)

after maneuver positions:
12 barrel rolls
1 stand still
3 boosts
= 16 positions

after maneuver afterburners boosts positions.
0 stand still (since these are already included)
36 barrel rolls
= 36 positions

advanced sensors:
0 stand still (since that's aldready included, just taking focus or lock before doing a red for example)
12 barrel rolls
3 boosts (that's assuming he's not doing a straight maneuver, as otherwise it would be included in his regular boosting or afterburners boosting)
= 15 positions

dalan with afterburners only has a measly 52 possible positions. including which way he's facing, that makes 156 different possible positions using his ability.

dalan with advanced sensors only has 31 possible positions. including which way he's facing, that makes 93 possible positions using his ability.

dalan with advanced sensors and afterburners has 67 possible positions. including which way he's facing, that makes 201 possible positions using his ability.

this is all assuming dalan is not performing a straight maneuver.

i got carried away there while thinking you could barrel roll with afterburners. people don't run that card enough. i don't really fancy paying the high cost of it either to be honest.

dalan with advanced sensors and afterburners is 70 points. that's a lot to pay for a five HP i4 ship. with just afterburners, he's 60 points, which is still quite a bit. i think i'd rather run kad solus in that case. i4 makes him fly too early for it to be worth investing in a lot of crazy repositioning. outmaneuver is fun though.

Edited by meffo