Jump to content
Blail Blerg

Call for suggestions: What are you having fun with that we should try??

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Cuz05 said:

You can. Wording is when moving or shooting, so it's all gravy.

I like your list. Might copy a little :D

I found Daredevil unnecessary on Guri. We flew her with it in a small store tourney, 3 games, only used it once and even then it was just to show off. It just doesn't add a lot to her already enormous suite of options. It is fun though.

Then maybe it makes more sense to fly predator on Fenn and Guri

Edited by flooze

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, flooze said:

Then maybe it makes more sense to fly predator on Fenn and Guri

I honestly prefer the bid for her and take just AS, but that's obviously so match up dependent. We have quite a few ace lists running at 188ish around here, so I sort of aim for that.... Even though they're generally I6s :D

Fenn appreciates it too though.

If not too concerned about going deep, Predator is the obvious choice and should come up a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, flooze said:

Can you shoot when on a rock with qi'ra or do you use the outer rim pioneer with her? 

I 100% believe you can attack on a rock with Qi'ra, as did my local TO, but it seems fair to point out that there are some folks out there who disagree.  It might be wise to check with your own TO in advance if thinking about Qi'ra for an event.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

I 100% believe you can attack on a rock with Qi'ra, as did my local TO, but it seems fair to point out that there are some folks out there who disagree.  It might be wise to check with your own TO in advance if thinking about Qi'ra for an event.

Its pretty unequivocal if you ask me-

"While you move or perform attacks, you may ignore obstacles that you are locking"

If someone wanted to argue it, even a TO, I'd not be meekly accepting :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Cuz05 said:

Its pretty unequivocal if you ask me-

"While you move or perform attacks, you may ignore obstacles that you are locking"

If someone wanted to argue it, even a TO, I'd not be meekly accepting :D

I agree completely.  But there are some pretty vehement threads in the rules forum arguing the other way, even if I think the arguments are utterly asinine.

Edited by theBitterFig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

I agree.  But there are some pretty vehement threads in the rules forum arguing the other way, even if I think the arguments are utterly asinine.

"'while attacking' and if you can't start attacking you can't trigger her."

The basic premise?

I see 🤔

Good Lord.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cuz05 said:

"'while attacking' and if you can't start attacking you can't trigger her."

The basic premise?

I see 🤔

Good Lord.

That ruling was used on a tournament I attended (against me, obviously) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This seems like it could entertaining.

New Squadron

(44) "Midnight" [TIE/fo Fighter]
Points: 44

(52) Sienar-Jaemus Engineer [TIE/vn Silencer]
Points: 52

(52) Sienar-Jaemus Engineer [TIE/vn Silencer]
Points: 52

(52) Sienar-Jaemus Engineer [TIE/vn Silencer]
Points: 52

Total points: 200

3 fast beefy ships with great dials and access to double actions, and midnight to harass.  At 200 points currently but there’s a good chance the list will get cheaper in a few weeks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, flooze said:

That ruling was used on a tournament I attended (against me, obviously) 

Ohhhhhh I never thought about it that way. Oh crap that would take the air out of her tires.

I really, really hope they FAQ this. Even if they had to bump her up some, Qi’ra doesn’t feel overpowered letting people on rocks attack; she’s competing for a slot that could be filled with good alternatives, and the lock-dependency is very self-limiting. (Note that the only way to “cheat” it is with Advanced Sensors, which is pricey unto itself.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, battlestarbill said:

This seems like it could entertaining.

New Squadron

(44) "Midnight" [TIE/fo Fighter]
Points: 44

(52) Sienar-Jaemus Engineer [TIE/vn Silencer]
Points: 52

(52) Sienar-Jaemus Engineer [TIE/vn Silencer]
Points: 52

(52) Sienar-Jaemus Engineer [TIE/vn Silencer]
Points: 52

Total points: 200

3 fast beefy ships with great dials and access to double actions, and midnight to harass.  At 200 points currently but there’s a good chance the list will get cheaper in a few weeks

Danggfff. Three silencers? Now that’s styling. (Sadly they’re much worse than they used to be) 

also midnight doesn’t have good upgrades anymore 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you like scummy tricks?  If so, try this out.

(49) 4-LOM [G-1A Starfighter]
(2) Mist Hunter
(10) Advanced Sensors
Points: 61

(30) Captain Seevor [Modified TIE/ln Fighter]
Points: 30

(32) Jakku Gunrunner [Quadrijet Transfer Spacetug]
(5) Proton Bombs
Points: 37

(68) Fenn Rau [Fang Fighter]
Points: 68

Total points: 196

 

4-LOM stresses them, Seevor jams them, the Quadjumper tractors and bombs them, and Fenn Rau kills them.

Seevor has 2 wingmen with equal or lower initiative, so he can jam to soften up the enemy before his wingmen shoot.  Fenn is your closer, obviously.

3/4 if those pilots are outside the top 100 on metawing (Fenn is #50), so it’s a super off-meta list.  

Its feels fun and scummy.  It’s not a great list to use against a newer player though, because of the control elements.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

Danggfff. Three silencers? Now that’s styling. (Sadly they’re much worse than they used to be) 

also midnight doesn’t have good upgrades anymore 

I never said it was good haha. Tho if by chance it comes down in points might be able to make something of it? Will have to see when points drop 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Old Sarge said:

Do you like scummy tricks?  If so, try this out.

 

I actually been itching to fly scum for a while, but I haven't felt like the jankiness has been worth the power. 

Thanks for your suggestion, however I don't have the mining tie and I proxy the quadhumpers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, battlestarbill said:

I never said it was good haha. Tho if by chance it comes down in points might be able to make something of it? Will have to see when points drop 

The sad part is that the non-kylo silencer needs double mods, otherwise the dial is useless: 1. Most ships in the game nowadays have a similarly powerful dial (dial creep, in a good way), and 2. the blue hard turns can no longer are only helpful if you want a repos. If you're already flying fine without repositioning, theres no ways to get the good double mods to avoid getting nuked by something more efficient or a combo-wing thing, or something I5 or I6. Mobility alone does not a list make, we learned this from Sabers in 1.0. 

While you CAN in theory use the repos to avoid arcs, in actual practice, we find that its a diminishing and difficult to pull of to the point of not being worth any points at all when one does a statistical evaluation. Basically, it becomes like abilities that never trigger like 1.0 Rexlar. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Batrep! 

Played a few games with Ewings and against, and am happy to provide a review. 

First, the bump from I2 -> I4 generic is only 2 points for TWO initiative. Generally, this is a very good buy. I4 is decently good, though I ended up playing against high Init and it didn't matter. 

All that said: 

The naked I4 is quite good and very fun. The 3 green dice keep it alive, and if you set the TL correctly, you can get decent firepower off of it. Not always the easiest thing to go into the first fight with TL and F though, warning. I'd estimate it at 60% of the time. However, at 56 points, a very decent midrange filler. I'd rate it easily 7.5/10, very decent, has potential if you practice, however will not save you if you're bad. Requires a lot of thought. 
The Ewing's dial with 4 blue straight and 1 hard red is very nice, the other blues are noticeably lacking. Dial is quirky/requires-pre-practice, usable, but not amazing. The action suite with boost and BR linked into red TL is nice, but not truly "good". You generally would have rather had boost/BR->focus, this can lead them to die faster than you'd expect. 

Didn't play the I2, but I reckon it will also be rather fun. Those 2 points sadly come into play often: the Ewing is generally a bit overcosted imo and you'll feel the need to make it work, and/or you'll want to try damage buffing tricks like Proton Torpedoes, FCS or R3. 

I really recommend people try the I2 plus Proton Torpedoes (maybe R3) 

Someone suggested trying R3 astro, I tried it, generally, I think its not quite worth its 3 points. I have the funny feeling that it is basically only worth 2-3 points in true value, and the Ewing was kind of slightly overcosted to begin with, so it just makes them feel bulkier and more expensive rather than like it turns on the magic light for the ship. 

Corran... okay. Not as good as expected, but also not bad. 7.5/10.  R2 astro is definitely the right choice here. And Proton Torpedoes was worth it. Double tap doesn't come in handy often, makes your positioning worse oftentimes, the ability is not that great. You basically need to have a left over TL or focus AND ITS A BULLSEYE REQUIREMENT. I'd say its only about 2 points worth of value when you have a large ship to attack, meaning you're basically paying 8 points to upgrade from I4 to I5, or 10 points from I2 to I5. Its... okay. FCS is not a bad choice here. R3 would be good, except R2 is much better. So take R2 astro. 

(I didn't really deck out Corran in a combo-wing, 2 ship style, no data in that competitive build style) 

--------------

So, Ewing's are generally okay, maybe tiny bit overcosted/weak, but not badly so that you feel like you're bringing a pool noodle to a knife fight. The ability is fun. The depth to learn the ship and pull magic out of it is medium, which is a fun exercise for players to handle. 

All in all, a bunch of Ewing's,
Power: 7.5/10
Fun: 8/10
Difficulty/Skill Ceiling (how much practice helps you be good): medium (you can only get so far, imo) 
Skill Floor (how easy is it to play strongly or fun without practice: easy-medium (not the worst things you can do for sure) 
Gudship, recommended for casual play. 

--------------

Suggested lists: 

Rogue Squadron Escort (56)

Rogue Squadron Escort (56)

Corran Horn (66)
Fire-Control System (2)
Proton Torpedoes (12)
R2 Astromech (4)
Spare Parts Canisters (4)
Total: 200

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

-----

Rogue Squadron Escort (56)
Proton Torpedoes (12)

Knave Squadron Escort (54)
Proton Torpedoes (12)

Knave Squadron Escort (54)
Proton Torpedoes (12)
Total: 200

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

 

Edited by Blail Blerg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

I don't have the mining tie

I felt almost morally repugnant about buying another dang TIE Fighter, given that my collection is replete with both “classics” and FOs. So I made a deal with my buddy for him to buy it, and then to swap some of my stuff that I don’t play anymore for it.

Honestly I’m glad I did. Seevor is the Scummiest and dumbest thing on a TIE platform. I’d fly him more if I wasn’t already failing to get the rest of my stuff on the table often enough to justify having it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

New lists to try: 

Fun silly: 

Jedi Knight (39)
R2 Astromech (4)
Delta-7B (15)

Mace Windu (46)
R2 Astromech (4)
Delta-7B (16)

Gold Squadron Trooper (25)

Gold Squadron Trooper (25)

Gold Squadron Trooper (25)
Total: 199

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

GOOD: 

Starkiller Base Pilot (56)
Biohexacrypt Codes (1)
Electronic Baffle (2)

“Quickdraw” (45)
Special Forces Gunner (10)
Shield Upgrade (6)

Kylo Ren (76)
Advanced Optics (4)
Total: 200

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

 

And of course: 

Forumites, Mace or Ahsoka here? (esp with Wolffe), and do you rec Wolffe or 2 Torrents? I feel like Wolffe would be better. Just gotta avoid the bumpers. (Hence' why I'm considering Ahsoka to help the other two)

Anakin Skywalker (60)
R2 Astromech (4)
Delta-7B (18)

Mace Windu (46)
R2 Astromech (4)
Delta-7B (16)

“Wolffe” (51)
Total: 199

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

 

--

I tried Barriss. She's bad. 

 

Edited by Blail Blerg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/22/2019 at 3:50 PM, Blail Blerg said:

New lists to try: 

Fun silly: 

Jedi Knight (39)
R2 Astromech (4)
Delta-7B (15)

Mace Windu (46)
R2 Astromech (4)
Delta-7B (16)

Gold Squadron Trooper (25)

Gold Squadron Trooper (25)

Gold Squadron Trooper (25)
Total: 199

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

GOOD: 

Starkiller Base Pilot (56)
Biohexacrypt Codes (1)
Electronic Baffle (2)

“Quickdraw” (45)
Special Forces Gunner (10)
Shield Upgrade (6)

Kylo Ren (76)
Advanced Optics (4)
Total: 200

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

 

And of course: 

Forumites, Mace or Ahsoka here? (esp with Wolffe), and do you rec Wolffe or 2 Torrents? I feel like Wolffe would be better. Just gotta avoid the bumpers. (Hence' why I'm considering Ahsoka to help the other two)

Anakin Skywalker (60)
R2 Astromech (4)
Delta-7B (18)

Mace Windu (46)
R2 Astromech (4)
Delta-7B (16)

“Wolffe” (51)
Total: 199

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

 

--

I tried Barriss. She's bad. 

 

Anakin, Mace & Wolffe is solid.  That’s what I run.  Might run a few N-1s instead just because I don’t like torrents.

Edited by pakirby

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New points. Sadly, nothing calls out to me as nutty except Grievous + 5 Vultures (up from Was + 5 Vultures). 

What you dying to fly? 

I personally don't have Wave4 yet, up to you if you wanna post about those. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of my quirky fleets took a hard hit.  Wullffwarro War Crimes, Hate Asajj variants, and Triple Auzitucks are the ones I'm most attached to, and they had to make serious concessions to get back to 200 points.

Hopefully they'll fight easier prey and have more fun games, now that Handbreak Han and Rebel Beef etc have taken a shotgun blast to the head.  I would express pity, but let's face it, I was in the front row screaming for their blood.  I scared the other onlookers.  Good times.  ;)  My fear is Rebel Beef will still be nearly as effective (and now Republic Beef is cheaper).  Hopefully the nuke was enough, or else hopefully FFG will be prepared to drop a 2nd one.  If most of my lists are going to suffer collateral damage, at least scrape the world clean of the fleets that are the least fun to fight (mainly beef lists).

/salt  (it's tragic this forum doesn't have a salt emoji, hah!)

 

Today I flew a list trying to make better use of Kestal, but Kestal didn't actually get much of a benefit because turrets went up to counter the aggressor points drop, so it wasn't a real boost.  Decimator went down though so it's worth a shot.  I'm still trying to work out ways to make Kestal fun and not die trivially.  😕  FFG man, they do not like that ship.  But when I was hunting aces and force users (other than Finn+Rey gunner lists)?  Kestal had its moments.  With beef lists a bit nerfed now, I'd recommend seeing if you can make Kestal and a few other overlooked ships work.  They may not have gotten a proper buff, but if their natural predators are busy licking their wounds, that's the time to strike!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Wazat said:

turrets went up to counter the aggressor points drop,

No they went up because FFG decided to nerf the top Scum squad into the grave. Everything tied to DreadLoks got hit...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 10:26 AM, flooze said:

Guri (63)
Daredevil (3)
Advanced Sensors (10)

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 10:44 AM, Cuz05 said:

I found Daredevil unnecessary on Guri. We flew her with it in a small store tourney, 3 games, only used it once and even then it was just to show off. It just doesn't add a lot to her already enormous suite of options. It is fun though.

 

I'm wondering if it the same combination might work on Ric Ollie. A 90' turn followed by a speed 3 bank is seriously unpredictable, even if it does temporarily shut down Full Throttle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...